Veterans Day – History and What it Commemorates

| November 11, 2019 | 25 Comments

The folks at Ammo.com published an excellent article on the history and meaning of Veterans Day.

Veterans Day, celebrated each year on November 11th, was first celebrated on this same date in 1919, under the name of Armistice Day. The holiday was named in remembrance of the temporary ceasefire that brought about the unofficial end to World War I when, the year before, the Allied forces entered into an armistice with the Germans, stopping live battle on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918.

They wrap it up with some good points…

Now, a century from the original remembrance of Armistice Day, the holiday is still celebrated on November 11th. If the 11th day of the 11th month falls on a Saturday, the day is observed on the previous Friday. If it falls on a Sunday, the holiday is observed on the following Monday.

Different areas celebrate Veterans Day in different ways. Most public schools close (normally on the Monday closest to the holiday), as do all federal buildings, most banks, and many businesses. There are parades and celebrations to honor veterans. Perhaps the most iconic is the annual wreath laying ceremony that happens at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

Many areas still observe a moment of silence at 11a.m. to remember all veterans, those that are still here, those that have gone on, and those that never made it home. It’s also not uncommon to see the American flag flown at half mast.

Regardless of political leanings, Veterans Day is about recognizing the dedication and sacrifice of America’s veterans. If you want to show support, attend a parade. Volunteer at your local VFW. Visit a VA hospital and spend some time talking to the men and women who are unable to attend such events. And when you see a vet, shake their hand, and thank them for their service.

Category: Veterans Issues

1. ninja says:

Speaking of Veterans Day:

NEW Article published 3 Hours ago by the Peninsula Daily News, Washington State, reference Bob Glaves, the Phony Vietnam Veteran who claimed Cancer and took a trip with his Biker Chick Friend, Kelly to see the Wall in Vietnam.

KUDOs to them for publishing this. Hope Kelly and others read this, because it is obvious Ole Bob Glaves has YET to furnish his TRUE DD214.

Now if only the Elko Daily will step up and do the right thing about Ole Les Brown.

“POINT OF VIEW: Stolen valor hurts all veterans

“This summer, the Peninsula Daily News featured a front-page story about a Vietnam veteran riding his motorcycle to the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington, D.C. to pay homage to his fallen comrades. Because he was dying of cancer — the result of Agent Orange exposure — the trek was dubbed “The Wall Before I Die.”

“To those familiar with the history of that war, the veteran’s age and the dates he professed to have served in Vietnam, 1974 and 1975, just did not ring true.”

“America had ceased large-unit combat operations by 1973.”

“A FOIA (Freedom of Information Act) request exposed the truth: the veteran had served but had never stepped foot in Vietnam — and certainly could not be dying of Agent Orange exposure.”

“This development is laid out in great detail in a recent article by PDN reporter Jesse Major.”

“Sadly, lying about one’s service is not uncommon.”

One can comment on this article if they choose. Please give Greg Taylor, who wrote the article, as well as Jesse Major and the Peninsula Daily News KUDOs for writing and publishing this story.

2. Anonymous says:

In Flanders Fields…

3. ninja says:

Hmmmm.

Wonder if Ole Margaret DeSanti will show up at this Parade today in Phoenix/Mesa Arizona.

Check out who the Grand Marshal is this year.

The irony.

😉😊

“Phoenix and Mesa To Honor Veterans With Parades On November 11”

“Actress Loretta Swit, best known for her role as “Major Margaret Houlihan” on the tv show “M*A*S*H” will serve as this year’s Grand Marshal.”

4. Daisy Cutter says:

I wonder if there are boots on the ground in Elko, Nevada to confirm Les Brown as their Grand Marshall.

You know, riding in the convertable and doing the wrist twist wave like Miss America.

• marinedad61 says:

Here is VIDEO of Les Brown & the gangola
      in the Elko, Nevada Veterans Day Parade (today).

Unfortunately, the current crop of vest patches
      is difficult to identify.

Due to damage from excessive weight bearing,
      the Harley tricycle needs new coil springs.

“Here’s to us, and those like us, there’s damn few of us…The rest of them are dead.” Salute!

Thanks for the linkies Troops/Troopettes. Give me a little more to pour over as I chase away the wobblys this morning. For the comparatively short time we were involved in combat during WWI we suffered a large amount of casualties. Woulda been more if Ol’ Black Jack had of went along with what the French and Brit Commanders wanted him to do. Had a grandpappy that suffered from the effects of Mustard Gas and trench foot until his early demise.

I’ll be avoiding the buffet bars and the phonies at the parades and commercial ceremonies. We’ll have a program at the replica of the FIRST post Revolutionary War Fort built in this AO including a twilight Flag Retirement Ceremony. It’s small, very moving, and doesn’t get a lot of publicity, but there are no phonies there. The Lady that coordinates it has certifiable grandpappies going all the way back to before the French and Indian Wars and each conflict since then. She’s a little tiny badass that don’t take no BS.

6. My Friend Lennie, USS Guardian AGR 1 1955-1958, myself and two young ladies will be on the Applebees chow line at 1830 hrs, juliette. I’m the baby in the crowd my friends being from 4-10 years older than myself, two widows and one widower. Myself, never married but am single. Every year I go, I meet WW2, Korean and Viet Vets standing on the chow line and we have some nice conversations and stories about our serving and where we hailed from before moving to Florida.

7. OmegaPaladin says:

My thanks to all of you here who have served. Regardless of where you served, thank you.

8. IDC SARC says:

Brothers all ad perpetuum!

Cheers

9. OWB says:

It’s getting to where I understand more fully why my old Dad never really claimed being a vet. He certainly never denied it, but he never once led a conversation with that little detail. He served proudly, then got on with his life.

I do remember once asking him (while I was still pretty young) why he didn’t march in parades and hang out at either the VFW or the AL, and his response was that he knew what he did and just didn’t need to hear the others rehashing what they did. When I got a little older, he added that a lot of the guys who liked the attention the most really hadn’t done much, or anything, of anything worthy of the attention they got. He shared waaaaay back then that embellishers and posers were a problem.

Liars continue to be a problem, but apparently they always have been It’s sad that so many of them are so richly rewarded for lying.

10. Perry Gaskill says:

I ran across this in J-school. It was pointed out as an example of good writing done by Associated Press reporter Hal Boyle on the fifth anniversary of the Normandy landings:

It is D-Day plus five years, soldier, on this sandy coast where the world hinged on what you did.

Because you did well here your world at home is as good as it is and if it isn’t any better, why they’ll have to blame someone else. There are some things you can do with a gun and there are other things you can’t.

What’s it like here now, soldier, five years after you landed and put the torch to Adolph Hitler’s Western Wall?

Well, the best answer might come from Pvt. Anthony R. Calif, or his neighbor, Pfc. Marvin C. Garness, or his neighbor, Lt. George W. Phillips, who has become a buddy of Staff Sgt. Miles S. Lewis.

They have all settled here together, and they are all quiet men.

But they wouldn’t be interested so much in telling you what it’s like now.

They’d rather ask you: “What’s it like now at home? And my folks– are they well and happy?”

For they came here to stay, silent citizens of a silent American city on foreign soil. They rest with 9,523 other soldiers in the U.S. military cemetery atop a high green hill overlooking Omaha Beach.

• Poetrooper says:

Here’s another one I keep around:

Soldier

I was that which others did not want to be,
      I went where others fear to go,
      And did what others failed to do.
      I asked nothing from those who gave nothing,
      And reluctantly accepted the thought
      Of eternal loneliness should I fail.
      I have seen the face of terror,
      Felt the stinging cold of fear,
      And enjoyed the sweet taste of a moment’s fear.
      I have cried, pained and hoped,
      But most of all, I have lived times
      Others would say were best forgotten.
      At least some day, I will be able to say
      That I was proud of what I was, a soldier.

George L. Skypeck, Reg™, Copyright © All rights reserved, used with permission of Mr. Skypeck,
      Military Historical Artist

11. GDContractor says:

I like what Jonn said, “I never say thank you, because thank you ain’t enough.”

So I’m not going to thank any of you dickweeds and miscreants. But if you ever need a strong back and a weak mind, for whatever reason, I’m there.

Welcome home. All of ya’s.