Update on Bergdahl (again)

| November 7, 2019 | 60 Comments

Girl and gun dog

Bergdahl gets more attention re: “undue command influence” by candidate Trump and Sen. McCain. You do not want to know what I think he should get.

During the proceedings, while Trump was a presidential candidate, he called Bergdahl a “dirty rotten traitor” and suggested the soldier be executed by firing squad or thrown out of an airplane over Afghanistan without a parachute.

After he became president, Trump made several references to those comments and McCain threatened hearings if Bergdahl received no punishment.

As a result, Bergdahl’s defense team, led by veteran military defense attorney Eugene Fidell, appealed, saying the comments constituted unlawful command influence and were so pervasive, Bergdahl didn’t receive a fair trial or post-trial processing.

But while the comments may have been improper, Army Court of Criminal Appeals judges said, the ruling in Bergdahl’s case was “fair and unprejudiced” and should remain in place. – article

Category: "The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves", Army

1. Honor and Courage says:

What no mention of Susan Rice calling him a war hero? How about Obama inviting his family to the White House and praising them!

He should have been busted to EIOU 1 and Hard labor!

• FuzeVT says:

“Obama inviting his family to the White House and praising them!”

I had forgotten that. It seems SO MANY crazy things have happened since then my CPU had to make room for other lefty wackiness.

2. Now anyone can go over the hill and dale and get away with it.

3. Ret_25X says:

someone send this guy hunting with Dick Cheney…LOL

4. Slow Joe says:

Why do you keep posting that picture of that dog?

5. Anonymous says:

Bowe Bergdahl, Democrats’ only war hero.

6. Graybeard says:

Another fine test media for efficacy of defensive handgun ammo.

7. Stacy0311 says:

Interesting blog that covers military justice (hold all jokes until the end)

Bergdahl would seem to have preempted his own appeal by originally pleading guilty WITHOUT A PRETRIAL AGREEMENT.

But I’m not a lawyer so what do I know

8. Sarge says:

Firing squad and bill his family for the bullets.

9. SteeleyI says:

I think Bergdahl is a deserter and traitor, and he deserved much worse than he got. I think and hope he will lose this appeal, mainly, as Stacy0311 posted above, he got exactly the sentence he asked for.

But.

The president’s tweet on Bergdahl needlessly endangered this process. There was a lot to lose, and nothing for him to gain (other than political points).

This is rookie stuff. He should know better.

10. Poetrooper says:

From the MT article: “Bergdahl told filmmaker Mark Boal that he left his post to call attention to his unit, which he felt was poorly managed.”

That’s really some justification for desertion on the battlefield, hmm? Like most young soldiers, when I was on my first enlistment, and still a card-carrying, know-it-all, wise-ass member of the E-4 Mafia, I typically felt my units were “poorly managed” but I sure as hell didn’t consider that grounds for desertion.

Leavenworth forever…the capital punishment he so richly deserves would only serve to make him a liberal martyr vying with Che Guevara for eternal life on smelly lefty T-shirts.

• SteeleyI says:

I highly recommend the Serial podcast DUSTWUN (I think it is Season 2) about Bergdahl. If you had any doubts you will come away clearly understanding that Bergdahl’s story was made up after the fact.

In reality Bergdahl is a very strange young man, and his father failed him by giving him no moral compass. He thought he was the smartest man in the battalion, he thought he was better than the men in his platoon, and he admired the Taliban (probably right up until they locked him in a cage for two weeks).

I worked Personnel Recovery in Iraq for a while, and most of the missions turned out to be troops hiding from work. Kind of like this guy, but on land:

This was more common than you would like to think on the big FOBs in Iraq. We had one that went on for a few days before the Soldier’s boyfriend came forward and said she was hiding from her husband, also on the same FOB.

Yeah, because nobody is better qualified in how to manage (lead) an infantry rifle company in a combat zone than a PFC or a spec-4.

11. I’m not keeping up with the POS’s status. Is he serving jail time or not???

12. 3/10/MED/b says:

I may have missed something in context, but for one to say “Ol’ Poetrooper, you have finally seen the light”…oh, man.
    I trust the TAH group will correct my possible error of interpretation.
    If not, get the popcorn and beverages.

• Poetrooper says:

Thanks, Doc. Actually I was pokin’ a little fun at him and I think he missed it. However, I am glad to see that he doesn’t let his Trump derangement entirely blind him to what a piece of crap Bergdahl and his family are.

I do wonder what he thinks about Trump’s predecessor’s Rose Garden adulation of this combat deserter and his feckless family, and if that nationally televised event didn’t rise to the level of undue command influence?

I’m also curious regarding that username–is it meant to convey an image of cool, dispassionate reasoning? If so, his TDS tends to belie that. If he was chasing down AWOL’s on FOB’s perhaps he’s MP and referencing that flat-eyed look of utter disbelief that only cops (Well, and senior NCO’s) are capable of.

Whatever, I believe we all need to be challenged in our comfort zones occasionally as long as our detractors don’t employ that terrible liberal tendency to frequently condescend–humorous prodding is fine, but sneering lefty superiority sucks, especially coming from fellow veterans.

If Steeley’s a vet who just leans a bit more left than most who lurk here, so be it. If he wants to defend liberal views, perhaps he’ll fade some of the heat from Lars who by now must have so many holes in him he looks like he has frequent carnal congress with pissed-off porcupinettes.

• steeleyI says:

No, I got it. I was poking fun back at you.

Personal Recovery is not chasing down AWOLS. PR is finding and recovering Isolated Persons. Anything from teams that are E&E after being compromised to hostages and prisoners and lost convoys. It encompasses traditional Combat Search and Rescue and other techniques to find and r cover good guys surrounded by bad guys.

A Personnel Recovery event often starts with a DUSTWUN (Duty Status Whereabouts Unknown) report. A convoy gets hit, and when the get back to the FOB they realize one vehicle took a wrong turn and didn’t make it back. A patrol comes up one short at a checkpoint. A troop doesn’t report in after an IDF attack. They could be dead, captured, wounded, or just lost. Either way, when we can’t account for a troop we start the Peronnel Recovery system to find them through all source intel and recover them through direct action.

I thought Obama had an inept and fumbling foreign policy, and the event with Bergdahls father was an indicator of that. Bergdahls father grew the beard and tried to learn Pashtun because he thought he gain sympathy for his son. Obama tried to support that. The Haqqanni Network who held Bowe was just in it for the money and prestige and saw all of that as weakness to be exploited.

I do feel that we had to get Bergdahls back- despite his actions, Bergdahls was an American Soldier. I think he should have been swiftly tried and separated. I don’t really care about punishment- nothing will buy back the time, blood, and treasure lost. I just don’t want him to be able to claim the title ‘Soldier’ or benefit from his crimes.

I am by no means a lefty. I am a combat veteran who has had the opportunity to look behind the curtain at how the Great and Powerful Wizard of the military actually works.

My first ten years were spent at the lower tactical level in infantry units (mostly airborne, just like Poetrooper). I was in DS/DS, which was essentially a conventional war, and that shaped my thinking a certain way. My Haiti deployments, patrolling Cite Sole, reinforced those views. I was an angry young man who saw the world in black and white.

The second half of my career was in the post 9/11 era, and I was at the operational and strategic level in support of SOF (I am not SOF), and I gained an entirely new perspective. We want war to be a straightforward business of killing bad guys, but that is simply not the nature of war.

Clausewitz’s Trinity of the Government, the People, and the Military is actually more important in irregular warfare than it is in conventional war, because the distinction between those entities is blurred. The enemy is not a uniformed military, and the government may not have control over or the support of the people. My epiphany was in Basra, when the ICTF Commandos had to wear masks because the People and even Regular Iraqi Army and police would rat them out to JAM and other insurgent groups.

I am (or was) a professional Soldier. I hold Soldiers, especially commissioned and non commissioned officers, to their oaths. Am willing to give consideration to tough choices made in actual combat. However, many of the decisions we are debating were made in the safety of a secure compound with the enemy in flex cuffs.

13. Mason says:

The thing I’ll never understand (because it’s pure Orange Man Bad) is that if the president says the guy should be executed, but he’s released for time served, then how the fuck was the president influencing anything? Now if he was sentenced to be tossed out a plane with no chute, I’d give it them that maybe they took the president too literally and thus unfairly influenced things.