Weekend Open Thread

| July 19, 2019

Sausages – eat your heart out

Someone said “sausages” and I had this photo of Johnsonville’s patties spattering in a skillet.

Here’s a little history on sausage as a general subject from The Spruce Eats:

The word sausage comes from the Middle English sausige, which came from sal, Latin for salt. In France they are sausissons and in Germany, wurst. In practice for over a millenia sausage-making was originally a method used to preserve meats, especially lesser cuts.
Today, sausage-making has become an art. More than 200 different varieties of sausage are made in the United States alone, and thousands more worldwide, varying by regional tastes and ingredient availability. Hot dogs are popular in the United States, sausage is the ultimate Finnish fast food, and seafood sausages are popular in Asia.
Traditionally a meat product, creative chefs are making sausages from vegetable and seafood blends for those who eschew meats. There are even meat and rice blends available in sausage casings called boudin, pronounced boo-dan, made popular in Southern states such as Texas and Louisiana. Boudin sausage is becoming more popular, and the ingredients more complex, as it gains exposure. Emeril Lagasse has shown an interest in the dish and has taken the traditionally pork and rice dish to another level with unique mix-ins that more cooks are expanding on.

Excerpted from: https://www.thespruceeats.com/history-of-sausage-1807660

Thanks to people who never threw away a scrap of meat, fatty or otherwise, but turned it into something useful and tasty, we now have a wide variety of sausages, and the wherewithal to make sausage gravy and biscuits.

Have a great weekend!

Category: Open thread

1. ChipNASA says:

• Roh-Dog says:

Congrats!

OK Zoomie, you gots again. Well played! Beers and wings on you today.

tryagain

• ChipNASA says:

You know, I don’t *have* to do it but every few weeks, just to protect my coveted 4-in-a-row.

Now I can sit on my laurels for a few weeks.
        LOL

Everyone stay hydrated and cool and have a good weekend.

Your 4 in a row has been matched. The Wholey Grail (sic) is now a 5 pete Ace. Watch your Six, my Aerial Artillery Platform Brother. I’m watching Miss Kitty’s.

• Wilted Willy says:

Congrats Chip!

1st

• ChipNASA says:

I’ll defer to Claw AS TO whether “1st” counts vice “First”, BUT YOU CAN ALL KISS MY PASTY WHITE ASS FOR THE REST OF THE NEXT WEEK!!!

At least I got to deploy the The Hemisphere of Insults®™ today so it’s a good day.

1st counts same as FIRST. Not sure if 1th 1rd or oneth would count. The struggle is real, only The Claw. I will console myself safe in the knowledge that I am usually the FIRST to call for the deployment of the Hemisphere of Insults, the fact that an unseen episode of Gunsmoke (colorized) is on, cold beer, snacks and the obvious fact that ARMY beats Chair Force AND Navy on a regular basis.

I Salute your FIRSTNESS and a hearty eff you very indeed!

• 26Limabeans says:

“1st” counts vice “First”

I once contested “1st” and lost.
        Swore I would someday rectalfi that error.
        Not yet, and not today.

• A Proud Infidel®™ says:

I take Honorary First once again.

((((OVER))))

First!

4. NDHoosier says:

First!

• NDHoosier says:

Blah! Fourth!

Cangratulations to ChipNASA. May his Firstness shine upon all of us this weekend! 🙂

5. ChipNASA says:

Seriously,
    NANO seconds.

6. Commissioner Wretched says:

Whew … I’m glad I don’t have to adjudicate the four claims for First!

I’ll happy settle for fifth, or wherever I land.

And I land with this week’s trivia column!

DID YOU KNOW…?
    Did a ghost once help convict a person of murder?
    By Commissioner Wretched

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away …

Oh, wait. That’s another story entirely.

Didn’t you ever wonder where the ideas for some of the best movies and television programs come from? I do a bit of writing myself (part of which you’re reading right now), and my ideas are few and far between.

In fact, I had a really great idea once, but it got lost while crossing my mind. That’s a pretty vast, empty expanse, and it’s easy for a stray thought to stay that way.

But the classic shows of imagination, like “The Twilight Zone” and “The Outer Limits” – where do the ideas for those programs come from?

Some would say it’s from the dark places in a writer’s mind, and I can’t argue with that. My own mind has some pretty dark places. With cobwebs, and squeaking doors, and … I just scared myself.

Others argue that the ideas are merely commentaries on the status of the society of the day, and I can see the value in that as well.

But when I try to really pin down where the ideas come from, I have to realize that I have no idea.

Literally.

What I do have is trivia, and here’s this week’s helping, submitted for your approval.

Did you know …

… the stones which make up the ancient Inca capital of Machu Picchu in Peru hold themselves together? The stones are so tightly fitted to each other that, even today, it is impossible to slide a sheet of paper between them. The amazing part is that the stones are not held together with any kind of mortar at all; their own weight holds them together. (Not unlike one of those 90-year marriages, don’t you think?)

… in Florida, it is illegal to sell alcohol during a hurricane? (Which strikes me as silly, because that’s the time when you might need it the most.)

… consuming even a small amount of the liver of a polar bear can be fatal? The liver of a polar bear contains huge amounts of vitamin A. Like everything else, too much vitamin A is very, very bad for you.

… a ghost is actually credited with helping solve a murder? The body of Elva Zona Heaster Shue (1873-1897) was found at her home in Greenbrier County, West Virginia, and police initially believed she had died from natural causes. However, four weeks after her funeral, her mother, Mary Jane Heaster (1849-1916), said that Zona’s ghost had appeared to her, claiming that her husband had murdered her by breaking her neck. To prove it, the mother said, the ghost of Zona turned her head completely around. After being visited by the ghost for four consecutive nights, Zona’s mom took the story to the authorities, who exhumed Zona’s body. An autopsy discovered that she had indeed died of a broken neck, and Zona’s husband, Erasmus Stribbling Trout Shoe (1861-1900), was arrested, tried and convicted of her murder. It’s the only known case in which the “testimony” of a ghost helped convict someone of murder. A state historical marker was placed near the cemetery in which Zona is buried, describing the “haunting.” (I guess you could say Mr. Shoe didn’t stand a ghost of a chance. You could say it. I won’t.)

… the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, D.C., has some very unusual employees? The museum keeps on staff an army of millions of flesh-eating beetles. When a skeleton comes in that is too brittle or delicate to strip by hand, the little critters are put to work removing any remaining flesh. (Their salaries are not covered in the museum’s budget, I would guess.)

… fifty-three percent of all children in the U.S. say they are more bored during summer vacation than they are during the school year? (As a former teacher, I’m just going to put this one here with no further comment.)

… the Pacific island nation of Nauru has an economy almost totally dependent on bird and bat droppings? (The jokes just write themselves sometimes, don’t they?)

… there are 177,147 different ways to tie a necktie? (And I only know two. These days, if you see me wearing a suit and tie, it’s because somebody is paying me to wear it.)

… Judith Sheindlin (born 1942), better known to us all as Judge Judy, earns $45 million a year to do her reality court television show? By comparison, the highest paid actual judges, the justices of the U.S. Supreme Court, earn $244,000 a year. (Yeah, but which of them really earns it?)

… Emerson Moser (1927-2004), who spent 36 years as senior crayon maker for Crayola, was color-blind? Nobody knew it, of course, until his retirement in 1992. During his career, Moser supervised making 1.4 billion crayons.

… the popular children’s toy Play-Doh™ was originally manufactured as a wallpaper cleaner? (Judging by the unique aroma of the stuff, I’d believe it.)

… in Florida, it is illegal to dream about another man’s wife? It’s also illegal to dream about another man’s cow. (Two thoughts here – how would they prove you broke the law regarding the wife; and who in the world dreams about a cow?)

… in South Korea, it is illegal for a traffic policeman to not report a bribe he receives from a motorist? (If he doesn’t report it, he’s not allowed to keep it, I guess.)

… the smallest state in the Union, Rhode Island, has more people in it than the largest state, Alaska? (Alaska has a lot more room, though.)

Now … you know!

Excellent, again CW. Anybody don’t believe ET wuz here before Kilroy made it popular needs only to look at the construction and layouts of the Inca, Mayan, Egyptian structures. How in dahell did they move/cut those huuuuggge rocks and fit them together so precisely with the supposed technology (rollers, pulleys, air filled skin bladders and oh…slaves) that they had then. Saw a reference to the flesh eating bugs on an episode of Bones oncet. Now SHE was a hottie and I’d of jumped her bones. And the Angela chic too.

Always thought Judge Judy was kinda hot too in her earlier days. Kinda had that whole “do me right or I’ll punish you” attitude. Sometimes wondered exactly what kinda outfit she might have on under that robe.

Dreams of cows? Damn Skippy. Being slowly turned on a spit over a good bed of coals, grilled beef beast porterhouses, t-bones, ribeyes, grounded beef beast, cubed beef beast, orast beef beast perculated lowly in a crocked pot , Sir Loin beef beast, Chuckie beef beast, even a good quality tubed steak beef beast.

How many Marines will 1.4 billion crayons supply? Asking for a friend.

• 11B-Mailclerk says:

As to the Guano trade,

We have an entire squad of congresscritters dependant on batshit to fuel their crazy.

• Thunderstixx says:

Speaking of Alaska, there are about as many people in the State of Alaska as there are in the State Capital of Texas, Austin.
      The entire land mass of Alaska is about equal to one fifth of the area of the Lower 48, CONUS to those that haven’t been there.
      There are over 100 State Parks and 3.2 million square miles of State and National Park in Alaska and Denali, formerly Mt McKinley, contains the highest point of land on the North American Continent.
      Denali is 20,320, it is flanked by 5 glaciers and gazillions of ice falls.
      The South Slope rises 17,000 feet in 12 miles and the peak of Denali is visible, rarely because of constantly being buried by clouds, from Cook Inlet and from Fairbanks which is 150 miles away.
      Denali is the third highest mountain on Earth and even though the Himalayas have higher peaks they start their climbs on a series of plateaus that keep their actual climbing height lower than Denali.
      Denali National Park is 6 million square miles of land that has pretty much been left to the Animals that have the stamina to exist in such a harsh Arctic Climate.
      If you ever get a chance to see Alaska, do it, you will not be disappointed, I guarantee it.
      Take wool socks and lots of wool cloths in the Summer and Down Filled outerwear in the winter.
      Temps in Winter in the interior consistently range at -40 and get lower than that.
      The coldest I ever experienced was -56 with a 40 MPH wind coming straight off the North Pole Ice Shelf. That temp is indescribable as is the beauty of Alaska.
      Basically, you star with the word magnificent and go up from there…..
      To really experience Alaska, you should take a cruise out of Seattle and get off at Seward.
      From there take the Alaska railroad on a multitude of different routes ending your excursion in Fairbanks with Air connections to the rest of the world that fly daily.
      The Alaska Railroad is set up for tourism because there really sin’t much industry up there that requires heavy transportation.
      Of all the places I have seen, Denali was no doubt the most beautiful and forbidding at the same time.
      Trust me, you cannot take enough pictures, spend enough time or spend too much money seeing the place.
      So, there’s some more trivia for you about our great State of Alaska from someone that survived two years in the place under the duress of the Post Vietnam US Army!!!
      Oh, and 50+ or something like that today !!!

• UpNorth says:

The Alaska Railroad transports military equipment, and miles and miles of pipe for pipeline construction and replacements. Not to mention, steel for the oil companies. Not a lot of call for covered hoppers for grain shipments, but they do transport a lot of stuff, other than tourists.

• Thunderstixx says:

I wasn’t attempting to denigrate them in any way.
          Didn’t mean that at all.
          Sorry if it came off like that.
          I rode the Alaska Railroad several times going from Fairbanks to Anchorage and mainly saw tourists on that run.
          I get to make mistakes though, I’m not Lars and perfect you know…

• Mason says:

The scale of Alaska is hard to grasp until you’re going from one city to another and it’s an 8 hour drive.

7. Aysel says:

and now I want some summer sausage and cheddar cheese -_- thanks…..

8. Skyjumper says:

Congrats, ChipNASA.

Bout time someone pushes the “King Of Battle” off his throne. (grin)

Hell, 5th/77th FA has more time in grade on the throne than Les Brown had as an E-8

Now, just to piss off a lot of TAH’ers this fine summer day (especially the zoomies)…..I leave you with this, soon to be in theaters in 2020. (evil laugh)

9. Any sailor vets out remember the brand name of the US Navy binoculars that are used today. I saw a pic of one in either my Navy times snail mail or USNI snail mail magazine and forgot the name. I actually looked up the company online but never wrote it down. I tried the online search but cannot find the one I was looking for but I would recognize the name if it popped up. I think it is a Japanese company. The pic was of a sailor looking through them and I used a magnifier to enlarge the name.

Is it just me or has anyone else missed the fact that another 50 year anniversary happened this week? I speak, of course, of when that murderous trash from hell, former senator and wanna be presidential candidate ted kennedy, left Mary Jo in the car to drown while he saved his own worthless ass.

The media spent time throwing rocks at dTrumpster and they paid homage to the Moon Landing. I generally watch the network news everyday on broadcast (Fox local doesn’t carry Fox news) and I haven’t seen one.single.word.

effthekennedyklan

• Commissioner Wretched says:

I saw a fascinating article (can’t recall where) that laid out the theory that ol’ Ted left Mary Jo in the car in the river because … he didn’t know she was there. According to the article, Mary Jo had gotten drunk at the party, and a friend took her out to Ted’s car and put her in the back seat – but didn’t tell anybody. Later, Ted – also well into his cups – got into the car, drove off, crashed off the bridge, and left Mary Jo there but had no idea she was in the car at all. The next morning, her friend wondered where she was, put two and two together … and the rest, as they say, is history.

I don’t buy a word of it. But it makes an interesting story.

• Mason says:

That doesn’t explain why his first call in the morning was to the family lawyer. Also doesn’t explain why he was headed in the opposite direction of the ferry (cause they were headed out to do what Kennedy’s do).

Like you said, I don’t buy it. Sounds like a Kennedy murder apologist conspiracy theory.

• HMCS(FMF) ret says:

Saw this link over at Ace of Spades (that other smart military blog):

• 26Limabeans says:

Howie Carr did a 20 minute podcast.
      Top of the page:

11. ChipNASA says:

I just sent this ti AW1Ed…

Shit’s about to go down….

Iran ‘seizes British-flagged oil tanker’

• Ex-PH2 says:

Yeah, I wondered how long that was going to take. This is most likely in retaliation for the UK at Gibraltar blocking an Iranian oil tanker from going to Syria.

I said something about it back on Tuesday:

And there is still no word on the disappearance of that UAE tanker, either.

• ChipNASA says:

Yeah, I think I glossed over that or kinda dismissed it….

“UK at Gibraltar blocking an Iranian oil tanker ”

Makes complete sense.

• AW1Ed says:

Already posted, thanks.

12. LC says:

For anyone in the Colorado / Wyoming area, next week you’ve got the Thunderbirds doing an air show at Warren AFB on the 24th at 10am (but get there by 9am):

And the Leap Frogs are also jumping in on the 23rd and 24th:

• AW1Ed says:

Very cool, thanks LC. The only thing better than going TO an airshow is being IN the airshow.
      *grin*

13. Skyjumper says:

At the risk of summoning up our resident Cee-Gall, I came across this Berkeley article this week.
    “City changes municipal code” July 16: The Berkeley City Council is scheduled to vote Tuesday night on an ordinance that would eliminate masculine and feminine pronouns from the city’s municipal code, changing gender-specific language to gender-neutral language.

Here is a list of the new gender name changes:

“Manhole” shall forever be known as “maintenance hole”.

However, the term for liberals & socialists that inhabit that city, will remain unchanged from it’s present form which is ” Berkeley Asinus Foraminis. (smile)

14. Graybeard says:

54th-ish but #1 in the hearts and minds of my grandkids.

Been trying to work outside some, but heat index values in the triple-digits are hard when you’re well into your 6th decade. Hydrating like crazy and coming in for the afternoons.

The longer I live, the more I understand the value of a siesta.

Y’all have a great weekend.

15. HMCS(FMF) ret says:

In Bezerkeley news:

Next thing they demand is that males living within the city limits be castrated and given soi enemas…

16. Claw says:

0600 MDT in my AOR. The heat tab is getting ready to crack the horizon and it’s a great time for GI style coffee out on the deck.

For all you flatlanders back east, watch yourselves and each other for heat stress signs. By way of putting in a jab, the forecast calls for an even split of 72/36 at Old Faithful up in YNP.

Lots of pre-scout bikes for Sturgis rumbling by on US20.

Scooby is still chilling out, we celebrated his 14th birthday during this past week. Yesterday was a three confirmed cat kills on our morning walk kind of a day, who knows, maybe four today?

In order to pay Honors to Ex-PH2’s post, and sacred to the memory of bacon seeds everywhere, I prepared for the break fast meal the following items: Cat headed bizquits with grounded porked beast sausage and gravy, chicken embryos scrambled with extra sharp shredded block cheese, and a pot of buttered grits. I will admit that I cheated just slightly. The cat heads were the frozen Mary B’s brand and the gravy mix was the Pioneer Label sausage pepper package. Grits were Jim Dandy quick. That’s why I was late to roll call. I only turn on the oven very very early of a morning, and it is only on long enough to bake the cat heads. Made up enough to last a few days, may be about Wednesday before I use it again. Heat indexes into the triple digits here too.

It was all rather tasty.

• Ex-PH2 says:

Okay, okay, I can take a hint. When the weather breaks and drops out of the stratospheric 90s, and I get the kitchen back to work, I will make sausage gravy with biscuits.

The best sample I’ve found so far is a restaurant out on the highway, where you can get that any time you want it.

18. Reverend Pointy Head says:

I’m tired and have a new horse. Her name is Maggie.
    The new crew I felt stuck with as a bunch of shit-heads and general idiots with the “If I leave then this place will fall apart” attitude put me in charge of the latest train for Maryland and I honestly can’t be happier. Have a great weekend!

19. rgr769 says:

Surprise, surprise, boys and girls! “Doctor” McCarthy who purportedly worked at the trauma hospital in Floriduh the night of the Pulse Nightclub shooting has admitted she made the whole “I removed 77 bullets from 35 patients” story up to impress other D-rat proglodytes and feel important. She did self-identify as a cardiologist, but admits no MD license no doctor. I guess Jan Spann wasn’t her OR nurse either.