Space Force news; new uniforms and new enlisted insignia

| September 22, 2021

The Space Force has been hard at work creating a unique image for themselves, to differentiate themselves from the Air Force. This includes a prototype dress uniform (pictured). This is sure to get the sci-fi crowd excited. It’s not a traditional look, but I don’t immediately hate it. I can’t tell if I love it, but anything’s better than the current USAF’s dress blues. It appears to be unisex, which is also a plus in its favor. Here’s a closer look at the whole ensemble.

On the topic of uniforms, enlisted Space Force guardians will have new rank insignia. Again, I can’t tell if I love or hate them. I like to see them creating a unique personality for their branch.

They borrow heavily from the Vandenberg stripes for the junior enlisted (General Vandenberg was CSAF at the time the AF was creating their own rank insignia and he favored a straight stripe for junior enlisted airmen). They crib something like the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor of the Marine Corps with their Delta, Globe, and Orbit (DGO) for the NCOs. That delta ascends into the arc once a Guardian makes SNCO. The arcs themselves now represent the levels of orbit in which the Space Force operates (low-earth, medium, and geosynchronous). Here’s the graphic describing the thought processes.

It seems as if they are trying to foster some esprit-de-corps and heritage.

Category: Air Force, Space Force

1. xyzzy says:

This bullshit again. We could be spending this money on healthcare and education, but nooooo…it just has to be wasted on redundant crypto keep the military-industrial complex happy.

😑🙄🤦

2. xyzzy says:

Crap, not crypto.

3. cobrakai99 says:

Battlestar Galactica rip-off uniforms.

4. 2banana says:

No red shirts?

5. Steadfast&Loyal says:

The soldier in me is unsure and is trying to process.

But the geek in me is screaming

“ENTERPRISE TO CAPTAIN KIRK. ENTERPRISE TO CAPTAIN KIRK!!!!!”

6. MI Ranger says:

Well,
    It looks like they did a fine job of hiring their historians…guess they did not want to stray too far from their Air Force roots though.
    I like their Enlisted ranks…much less confusion…unless you happen to be in the Army then just a little. Same with the Senior NCO ranks (E-7 vs E-8).
    On the uniform…guess it could have been worse.

7. SgtBob says:

The uniforms and insignia look good. Forget that cribbed from the Marine Corps BS, though. Somebody comes up with something new, and your immediate reaction is, “They borrowed from the Marines!” Nonsense. I am a retired Army SNCO, but I would gladly wear the Space Force uniform. If I lost about three decades of age and a few pounds.

• Martinjmpr says:

Well what’s funny about that statement is that the globe on the USMC logo was copied directly (and deliberately) from the British Royal Marines, the difference being that the Royal Marine globe features the Eastern hemisphere and the USMC globe features the Western hemisphere.

• USMC Steve says:

Then it was not copied directly from the Brit Marines, was it? There are other differences as well, so no, it was not copied from the Brits, but it was an influence.

As to that space farce crap being copied from us, no not at all. Who even thought that silliness was copied from us? There are literally no similarities in their ridiculous starwars uniforms or their insignia to anything we have ever worn or used. One good thing though, they will never have to get those uniforms dirty or bloody.

8. M48DAT says:

Just make sure you’re not the red shirt guy.

9. 5JC says:

They dont look anything like the uniforms from the TV show Space Above and Beyond. Kind of like the Space Force Symbol looks nothing like the Star Fleet Symbol.

10. Former 13D says:

If that’s their dress uniforms, what about their battle dress uniforms? What kind of camouflage will it be for space? Will it be like the Navy’s idiotic blueberry type – where it’s shades of grey and black, pixilated ACU in grey/black/white?

• USAFRetired says:

How are they going to get into space in my lifetime? Just issue them nomex flight suits and they can sit around the office in ramp pajamas

• Skivvy Stacker says:

Solid black with white dots. They gotta blend in with space…anybody knows THAT.

• Anonymous says:

Speaking of Star Trek-ripoffs… maybe in neutral gray? (A camo pattern in space makes no sense.)

• Devtun says:

It will remain OCP uniforms. Ain’t nobody going into space except a few who decide to become astronauts. Really, it’s a carry over from the old Air Force Space Command. Just bigger, and now an independent service (under the Dept of The Air Force).

• SteeleyI says:

Actually, the Space Force is essentially taking over all of the Service Space Components that currently comprise US Space Command.

So, a lot of US Army Space and Missile Defense Command, AF Space, etc., will be transitioned to USSF. The Army is giving up certain organizations and in some cases entire career fields.

This was one of the arguments against Space Force as a service. There is already a complicated relationship between NORTHCOM/NORAD, SPACECOM, and STRATCOM.

It will be interesting because currently, USSPACECOM is considered a Geographic Combat Command as opposed to the Functional Combatant Commands like STRATCOM, SOCOM, etc.

11. Ret_25X says:

yes, yes, return to the design aesthetic of the 3rd Reich! Reveal the tyrannical nature of the effort!

Lars is fellating himself as we read this.

“When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.” -Hunter S. Thompson

Is this a prank, or….?

13. Anonymous says:

Captain Lincoln F. Sternn from Heavy Metal:

14. AW1Ed says:

Should’a gone with a Navy rank structure, as I may have previously mentioned.

15. Green Thumb says:

The appear to be Officers as the rank (although I cannot make it out) is worn on the epaulets.

If memory serves, and I have been out a while, EM wear rank on the sleeve or collar depending on the uniform.

16. Marvin says:

I like the rank insignias, but they haven’t differentiated much from the Air Force though…

17. Martinjmpr says:

Seriously, though, is there any real purpose to creating another branch of the service other than to create a bunch of redundant flag officer jobs to suck money from the taxpayers?

If anything, the structure at the top should be pared down so as to push that money downward to the forces that need it. We don’t need more General Officer or CSM billets we need more mid-level NCOs and junior officers to get shit done.

If I was the King of America the USAF would consist of Military Airlift Command (MAC), Strategic Air Command (SAC) and Air Defense Command (ADC.) Everything else would fall under the Army. But that’s just me. 😉

• SteeleyI says:

See my post above. The argument against the Space Force is that US SPACECOM already synchronizes military space operations. The argument for is that SPACECOM is dominated and subjugated to service (mainly USAF) culture and thinking about space, so we need a new service to look at it with fresh eyes. In my view, this town aint big enough for SPACECOM and the Space Force, and if SPACECOM goes, we will have to have a hard look at why we need STRATCOM, and why NORTHCOM is also NORAD. I see a future when the USSF has a number of Specified Commands (like the old STRAC/REDCOM and SAC).

The Space Force is Donald Trump’s baby. Personally, while I appreciate the need for emphasis on space capabilities, I think it is redundant and will only complicate service and COCOM roles. There is going to be a food fight over traditional service roles and missions and it will create an incentive for the Space Force to carve out a new role, potentially to the detriment of what the other services and the COCOMs need them to do.

Go back to the formation of the USAF, when the Army was forbidden to have armed aircraft at the Key West agreement. We are still arguing about the role of CAS vs Close Combat Attack (helicopter gunships).

Now it will be a fight over who will provide assured Precision Location, overhead ISR, theater missile defense, early warning, etc. remember that SPACECOM is a geographic combatant command, meaning that dude is responsible for the space domain. That would be like there being a service responsible for all land, air, or sea operations.

18. SFC D says:

I showed this to MRS D this morning, her first comment was “What is this, Star Trek?” followed by “That uniform is gonna suck for any woman with a big rack!”

19. MustangCryppie says:

And what are the wings they have on for?

Space shuttle door gunners?

• SFC D says:

It’s the USAF Space Operations Badge, the new version. Army SATCOM operators are also authorized to wear it. And yes, it was commonly referred to as the Space Shuttle Door Gunner badge.

• AW1Ed says:

That implies one has operated in space. I suppose using a Satellite phone counts.

• steeleyI says:

We called it the Satellite Pilot badge.

I was in the Joint Staff College when they approved it for wear in the USAF. One of the guys in my seminar was a missileer/space ops guy, and overnight he went from wearing the pocket rocket and the old space career field badge to being authorize to wear not only what I think looks like the Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger badge, but also a flight suit and leather jacket, which of course he did. The actual pilots in the class about lost their shizz

20. Skivvy Stacker says:

Nope. I just can’t get behind these uniforms. They remind me of the overdone uniforms from the Star Trek movie series (Red jackets, belted, trousers stuffed into boot tops, metal insignia all over, difficult to move in). Hollywood has always overdone designs for sci-fi uniforms, and that’s what these uniforms look like.
    They will only look good on very slender people, and already look uncomfortable and stuffy.
    Good Lord; I sound like a gay fashion critic.

21. Harry says:

Waste of time. Waste of money. Period.

So I still assume that their Officer Candidates will be referred to as “Space Cadets”?

• SteeleyI says:

I think the actual name is worse- Space Force personnel are ‘Guardians’. Not making it up.

I was surprised that they didn’t incorporate that into the rank structure (Guardian 1st Class, etc)

23. rgr1480 says:

If that uniform was good enough for Gen. Patton …. it’s good enough for the Star Force …. errr …. Space force!!

24. Martinjmpr says:

Also thumbs down for the missed opportunity for the highest enlisted grade to called “Stargeant Major.” 😀

25. AW1Ed says:

All your base are belong to us.

cat

26. MarineDad61 says:

SPACE FORCE PHONY ALERT.
    SPACE FORCE PHONY ALERT.

Maggie DeSanti
    (Never served 1 day, but wears Army LTCol, and a ton of phony ribbons)
    who many of us remember for her TSA PUSH UPS,
    as well as stealing an Honor Flight trip from Arizona to D.C.

Caught again!!!

Worse, she’s now wearing a “LEGION RIDERS” VEST,
    and mingling with (not 1 but) 2 patchy vesty groups…
    (American) Legion Riders
    &
    Patriot Guard Riders.

Can anyone find out the exact American Legion Post of “Legion Riders”
    that is helping to pump up the BS Phony Maggie?
    With a new vest, and new patches?

Perhaps this has now become an AMERICAN LEGION POST story???
    Worthy of another page on VG???

Photos HERE, on her birthday, JUNE 23, 2021.
    Ugh.

27. Prior Service says:

I guess I’m a net zero in this. I don’t like it but my wife does.