Newsweek reports SFC Cashe to receive MoH soon

| July 22, 2021 | 29 Comments

SFC Alwyn Cashe

We’ve talked a lot about Sergeant First Class Alwyn Cashe and his insanely heroic final acts. He is easily one of the bravest people I’ve ever written about. Read about him here, which includes links to prior discussions on the man.

Newsweek is now reporting that “sources familiar with the process” are saying that Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin has signed off on the award. The next and final step would be the President. According to the article, the White House is already in the preliminary phases of planning the ceremony.

If you’re inclined to give Newsweek the clicks (I don’t recommend it), here’s the link to their article. Between the headline and the first two paragraphs they bring up Cashe’s race (irrelevant) and the race of the SecDef (also irrelevant) three times. Then later in the article quote somebody who comments on the divisions in this country and that Cashe’s heroism is something for all Americans to celebrate. Irony, thy name is Newsweek.

Category: Army, Army News, Big Pentagon, Medal of Honor, Valor, We Remember

1. AW1 Rod says:

Newsweek is a digital rag. Not worth the bandwidth or time.

SFC Cache’s heroism is MORE than deserving of the MoH. I just hope the Senile Socialist Sundowner can remember his own name, when he’s presented the award for his signature.

About time! Every time I think about SFC Cashe’s actions it gets really damn dusty ’round.
    ‘Can Do’ done did, and then some.
    God Bless this man, his friends and family.
    Until the Highest Ground, Dearest Sergeant.

• Steve says:

“He just kept saying, ‘I’m good, I’m good, take care of my guys,’ He wanted us to focus on everyone else. It was as if they were his children.”

Whoever’s cutting onions stop it goddammit

3. John Seabee says:

FINALLY!!! This warrior will get the recognition that he deserves.

4. Poetrooper says:

“How are my boys?”

SFC Alwyn Cashe’s first concern, even while he was dying from his painful wounds at the Army burn center in San Antonio, was for his also badly burned troops.

That’s a very good article at the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

“How are my boys?” As ol’ Poe has said in the past, those words should be boldly inscribed over the entrance of every NCO Academy in the U.S. Army, with attribution to SFC Alwyn Cashe, July 13, 1970 – November 8, 2005, MoH.

5. Dustoff says:

Fantastic News! “How are my boys?” Needs to be enshrined in every NCO leadership course in the Army.

6. A Proud Infidel®️™️ says:

Long overdue.

7. Skippy says:

Bout DAMN TIME

8. Prior Service says:

“Backbone” with backbone. True hero. Too bad the media will give minimal coverage at best.

Brilliant idea above about putting his quote on the walls of NCO Academies everywhere.

9. KoB says:

Shoulda already happened. Hope I get to meet this Warrior in Valhalla.

10. Sapper3307 says:

About time!

11. SgtBob says:

Newsweek and fellow travelers want to know how to describe SFC Cashe? Try this: SFC Cashe was an American soldier. The first time I read of what he did, and the second time and the third time and every other time, I had to wipe my eyes. “How are my boys?” Remember the Navy/Marine Corps foul ups in which several drowned in a “training accident?” One of the vehicle crew members when realizing there was a serious problem said, “Where is my sergeant?” SFC Cashe’s boys did not have to ask that question.

12. Ocean12 says:

When I read about those awarded the Medal of Honor, any of the service Crosses, Silver Star, etc…I never ask what is the skin color of the recipient. I am just thankful there are Americans like that.

Way to screw the pooch Newsweek and continue to drive the wedge between Americans.

13. Hatchet says:

Read this Hero’s story what seems like, ages ago. Pardon me for saying so but, a Silver Star? Hmmm. Got to echo API®️™️ – That MoH is looong overdue!! “How are my Boys”? Whoa… An utterly self-less Warrior.. Thank God such men lived!!!

P.S. I utterly abhor Newsweek 🤬

14. The Stranger says:

And somewhere looking down is Jonn. He’s the one that brought this to our attention ages ago. Rest well, Platoon Sergeants and save a spot for me at the bar.

15. Thunderstixx says:

We all, truly served in the company of REAL “Heroes”
    Guys like this leave me in awe, just plain awe of the true meaning of a Patriot.

16. ChipNASA says:

A hearty Fuck all of you and I’m going to say this and toss it right back fucking at you…(get your own fucking Kleenex)

“SFC Cashe and SFC Lilyea…..Your boys are doing OK, and your girls as well.
    We take this moment to say your names, even if only in our heads (lips moving for some of you special needs fucks reading this…) and Thank You.

Thank You.

Thank you for all you have done, for each and every one of us.
    In *my* mind and heart, forever indebted.”

( ̄ー ̄)ゞ

• Mason says:

I’m not crying, you are. I’m tearing up from those Canadian wildfires, that’s what it is.

• ChipNASA says:

Fuckin a right bubba, I’m man enough to admit it.
        I’m blaming it all on The Stranger
        I was kinda all right until he mentioned Jonn and SFC Cashe together and then it was all….ALLERGY SEASON!!!! fuckers.
        Happy Friday.
        Pre WoT Training.

17. sj says:

Bet Jonn lit up a cigar.

18. MI Ranger says:

Glad Fort Stewart took the lead in honoring him, leaving a space for the award to be presented!

Yeah, this pollen is bad….my allergies are really acting up. We need to keep up the campaign to ensure a quote from him hangs in every NCO academy. He left no man behind!
    We will see him on the high ground!

19. OWB says:

Amen to what everyone else said. Still aggravated that we are still discussing this. It should have been done already.

Now, when will a base, a fort, a ship, a national park, and an interstate highway system be named for him?