Space Force gets Space Horse

| July 29, 2020 | 34 Comments

Space Force’s Space Horse

Did you think the newest branch of the US military would be all rockets and jet packs? Of course you did, we all did. Who’da thunk that airmen (spacemen?) would be riding on horseback as part of our space operations?

The USSF just added Ghost (pictured) to their stable of stable steeds. He’s a five year old Mustang that came to the military by way of the Bureau of Land Management. He’s currently being broken and trained.

This program has been around for a while. The horses are used to patrol the vast, hard to reach areas of the sprawling Vandenberg AFB, home of the 30th Space Wing (now a USSF asset). It seems as if the roughly half-dozen or so security forces members assigned to conservation officer duties employ the horses to get them around where vehicles can’t reach. I imagine they also appreciate the ability to approach potential poachers quietly.

Aside from the Old Guard at Arlington and some honor guard units, this is probably the last (or maybe only) operational mounted unit on active duty.

Full article (and some video) here; Military Times Article

Category: None, Space Force

1. Slick Goodlin says:

When I got out of the Army in 1985, they were still calling vehicle maintenance,”Motor Stables”,on the Company Schedule.

2. Green Thumb says:

Had a few buddies in the Caisson Platoon back in the day.

I also have fished Vandenberg. My brother did a few hitches out there and I would hang out. Beautiful base and wide open terrain (hence the horses – makes sense). Caught a lot of perch on the surf and several bass inland in ponds.

Just got to keep an eye out for the Snowy Plover,

3. Toxic Deplorable Racist SAH B Woodman says:

The USSF……..are they their own separate branch of the military?
    Or do they “fall under” another military branch, rather like Uncle Sam’s Misguided Children are “under” the Navy?

4. KoB says:

“He’s currently being broken and trained.”

They talking about you, Mason, or the horse?

Giddy up! 😆 😛 😎

5. Cameron says:

Well, I do like horses. I can’t stand mules or donkeys, however, I find them to be anything but elegant looking.

So now will the Officer Candidates of the United States Space Force be referred to as “Space Cadets” in ROTC or the USAFA?

• Green Thumb says:

That’s what the graduates of the All-Points Logistics Junior Executive Training Program are called (overseen by the False Commander “Phony” Phil Monkress ((CEO of All-Points Logistics)).

Upon graduation, they receive a “Phildo Badge” in the shape of a giant phallus with a dollar sign ($) superimposed in the background.

Much like a CIB (the rifle with the wreath behind it).

7. The Other Whitey says:

My kids certainly enjoy their pony. My oldest girl is a natural rider (she sure as hell didn’t inherit that talent from me; I love horses, but I suck on top of one). Days off permitting, I get them over to the stable at least a couple times per week, with my parents picking up the slack when I’m stuck at work.

My wife has suggested that our daughter could be the first Cambodian barrel racer. Being a lifelong rodeo fan, I know that if my little girl becomes a barrel racer, I’ll have to become a traveling serial killer, but that’s another issue.

For those who have either a connection with or (like me) an appreciation for traditional mounted cavalry, here’s something y’all might enjoy:

8. Aw lets all get serious and stop horsing around and get back in the saddle again.

9. Wireman611 says:

Space Ghost?

10. Dustoff says:

Still haven’t got my answer. If the Space Force has a Service Academy for training it’s officers, while attending said Academy will they be refferd to as “Space Cadets”? Inquiring minds….

• Devtun says:

Space Force falls under the Dept of the Air Force, and the Air Force Academy will administer the training & education of cadets who aspire for the air force, space force, or any other service branch. There won’t be space cadets – just cadets. Just like at the Naval Academy all prospective officer student/trainees are midshipmen – regardless if they plan on joining the navy Marines, army, etc..