Michigan Barber Update

| May 12, 2020

Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer

Remember our They Just Won’t Learn post from the other day, where Michigan barber Karl Manke reopened his shop in direct violation of Governor Whitmer’s Executive Orders? Apparently someone did indeed learn, amazingly enough.

Michigan judge declines to sign order shutting down barber for defying state’s coronavirus lockdown

77-year-old barbershop owner defies coronavirus order, reopens business
By Stephen Sorace

A Michigan barber has scored an early victory in the fight to keep his shop open after a judge declined to shut him down despite Gov. Gretchen Whitmer’s statewide order that has closed businesses for weeks due to the coronavirus.

Circuit Court Judge Matthew Stewart on Monday denied the state’s request to sign a temporary restraining order against 77-year-old Karl Manke, who last week reopened his barbershop in Owosso, a small town where he has cut hair for 60 years, in defiance of Whitmer’s sweeping restrictions to curb the spread of COVID-19.

The Attorney General’s office in a statement said the court wanted to give the barber an opportunity for a hearing before signing such an order, the Lansing State Journal reported.

When Manke’s lawyers announced the news outside the barbershop, supporters began chanting, “Karl! Karl!”

“I came into this last Monday alone, thinking I’m going to swing in the wind alone,” Manke said. “I cannot believe the support that I’ve got. It’s overwhelming.”

Just like Texas salon owner Shelly Luther’s reception after walking out of jail. People have had enough. Read the entire article here: Fox News

Category: "The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves", Coronavirus

1. Jay says:

Gretchen doesn’t realize…the natives are getting restless. This is going to be interesting to watch.

• Toxic Deplorable Racist SAH B Woodman says:

Open the beverages, pop the corn, pull up the easy chair. No crowding, plenty of room for everyone to watch.

Wow. Not such a bunch of sheep, after all.

Elon Musk is threatening to leave CA-LaLaland and take Tesla with him.

Something’s happening out there.

This is so Buffalo Springfield 1967….

What was old is now new again! “….won’t get fooled again.”

Maybe this time instead of carrying signs we should be carrying…torches…and pitchforks…and tar…with feathers…and rope.

• Toxic Deplorable Racist SAH B Woodman says:

Especially rope. Lots and lots of rope.
          Strep right up, all you politicians and bureaucrats, no waiting, plenty for everyone.
          And for all you “watermelons”, the rope is reusable and recyclable. Don’t that make you happy?

• SFC D says:

If we use locally-sourced, organically grown, free-trade, sustainably-farmed and recyclable hemp rope, they really have nothing to bitch about.

• Ex-PH2 says:

Oh, golly durn, Gun Bunny, are you saying we’re – dare I say it? – on the Eve of Destruction???

Could very well be Mi’Lady. I’m no Fortunate Son, but I’d Run Thru The Jungle, just to Get Out of This Place, even if it was the last thing I ever did. The politicos are trying to put us on a Hell Bound Train, as they are sitting on a park bench, eyeing little girls with bad intents.

• Ex-PH2 says:

It’s kind of interesting to see all the hippies who were more scroungy than a mud-covered coyote back then all grown up now, wearing suits or whatever, and unless I miss my guess, they are the people who are objecting to the CV19 restrictions (along with any offspring) in various places.

Who’d a-thunk it? What goes around, comes around.

There is definitely a disturbance in The Farce.

• The Other Whitey says:

A buddy of mine recently moved back down here from the east SF Bay area. He said of his former neighbors, “It’s amazing how much those old-ass hippies agree with us on these days!”

• 11B-Mailclerk says:

“…If you listen to fools, the mob rules…”

3. AW1Ed says:

“…the court wanted to give the barber an opportunity for a hearing before signing such an order.”

Translation, “We hope the whole thing blows over before we may actually have to make a decision that will bite us on the ass.”

• gitarcarver says:

Exactly.

While some media outlets have portrayed this as a win for the barber, it is not. It is at best a tie or a time out.

The really scary thing is that members of the Michigan Militia have shown up saying that if the local police or the state police try and serve another violation to Manke, they will block the doors and prevent access to the barber shop.

That won’t go over well with the police.

It should also be noted that the county in which the town of Owosso and the county directly southeast of that county have both issued statements saying “don’t call us – we aren’t enforcing those orders.”

Whitmore had every legal right to issue orders that are designed to stop the spread of a disease in a pandemic. That’s established law.

Where she erred and went over the line was the depth and breadth of the orders that made her authority look clownish and not based on science or good health policies.

Whitmore created this mess in her state and it doesn’t seem that she is inclined to back out of it gracefully. She did reduce some restrictions but by then, the damage had been done.

The fact that the judge would not sign off on a cease and desist order immediately is in some ways a good thing, but it is not the end of this fight. Not by a long shot.

4. Toxic Deplorable Racist SAH B Woodman says:

Trust the old people who have nothing to lose, to lead the way.

5. Cacti35 says:

I wonder if idsarc would hit that?

6. Called up my barber at the Yankee clipper and he said if I want to come over tommoro, then come to the door and he would have me sign my name and wait outside and then I would be called in. Before this CHINA virus, I used to go every other week for a trim. Been using this shop since I moved down here in 2007. It was either getting my hair cut or get a violin as my Mom used to tell me.

• Ex-PH2 says:

I will be so glad when this scared-stiff nonsense is over with and Supercuts opens up again.

7. HMCS(FMF) ret says:

Hit back twice as hard… she’ll back down.

• OldSoldier54 says:

Amen! Preach it, Brother!!!

• gitarcarver says:

He may “get it,” but there is also a little bit of “you’re not the boss of me” in his position.

The fact of the matter is that his recording was made in the uniform of his job, an a vehicle supplied by the Port, and made comments about other police officers.

However you may feel about his sentiments, he broke the policy of the department and when told to take down the video, said he wouldn’t.

We all know the military has a similar policy. You can say what you want, but you cannot say it while in uniform.

Anderson had a choice. He could follow the rules and contract under which he was hired, or be terminated.

He chose the latter.

Arguably, Anderson is not a hero for his actions. (His sentiments perhaps, but not his actions.) But ultimately he declared that the policies and procedures don’t apply to him.

He put himself above the rules and that is not what anyone should want from a police officer.

• Ex-PH2 says:

“I’m afraid these actions are going to wake a sleeping giant, i.e. the American people… ”

Yeah, well, the sleeping giant appears to have already begun to awaken.

Stop, look, what’s that sound…
      Everybody look what’s goin’ down…