Weekend Open Thread

| December 6, 2019

A couple of hours after eating edibles. (r/The_Donald)

In the Old Testament, there is the period where Judeans are led into exile to Babylon. Then Persia takes over and allows people to return to their ancestral homes. Many Judeans return to Jerusalem and to Judea. Temple rebuilding occurs.

Some of the folks who were not a part of the exile stirred rumors and advanced false claims against rebuilding the temple. In addition to the temple, Jerusalem and its wall needed repairing.

The reconstruction of the wall had opposition.

The detractors attempted to get the builders into trouble. Their efforts included a letter to the Persian king that essentially blamed the Judeans of planning to revolt. The Persian king allowed construction to continue.

Result? Reconstruction in Jerusalem from one end to the other, including the temple and the wall. Many were assigned guard shifts to repel an attack by those same detractors that tried to end construction. They were armed and ready. People involved with actual construction were also armed while they worked.

Two themes, applicable to today, apply in this story; the right to bear arms and the question of building the wall. The Pope has issued arguments against both, attempting to leverage his position within the church to add weight to his argument.

The Bible describes those, involved with reconstruction, as “being stirred by God” or “receiving God’s spirit to be motivated into action”. When reading the Bible appears to show a contradiction to the Pope’s argument, one has to wonder if the above meme is applicable.

Enjoy your weekend.

Category: Open thread

1st

• ChipNASA says:

TURD!!!
      WTF.
      Like 30 seconds.
      Whatever.
      *walks away sulking.*

Well, that’s one….
      4 more to go.

FIRE MISSION FIRE MISSION FIRE MISSION TOT ON TARGET FIRE FOR EFFECT…..TAKE THAT YOU BEEOUCHES. The King of Battle has struck again.

This one is again for my Brother Wilted Willie!

GO ARMY BEAT NAVY. How ’bout them Dawgs and The Tide WILL Roll Again.

SUFFER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• ChipNASA says:

By the way thebesig

IT’S NOT EVEN ONE O’CLOCK YET, BASTAGE!!!!!

You tricky fuckers….

• Hack Stone says:

Hack Stone would have been first, but he was on the phone doing a sales presentation to the Purchasing Agent for The Bureau Of Missing Socks, Department Of Undergarments to place an order for some Y3K software. The year 3000 is just 980 years away, don’t get caught with your fuel tank empty.

• Roh-Dog says:

If the Bureau Of Missing Socks has the same diligence with paperwork as the ATF with Form 4’s they’ll have the purchase agreement signed and sent in 981 years.
        A Right delayed is a Right denied.
        (It’s a joke Mr./Mrs. Agent, please don’t ground me!)

• ninja says:

As shared before, there IS a reason why 5th is called THE KING OF BATTLE.

😉

Congrats!

HBTD….

And….

GO ARMY! BEAT NAVY! (Let the Battle Begin!)

🐎🐐🏈

Spanks Troopette! And Spanks to all of my wellwishers. Getting back home to my Chromed Book and the high speed low drag innerweb here made the difference. As I was making rather merry and giving Thanks with the chil’ren on last week’s past multiple Open Threads, using a cobbled together comm link, I had little hope of being FIRST at anything more than an after Thanksgiving Dinner nap. The struggle was real.

Just as the old KoB is FIRST on the Coveted TAH Friday Weekend Open Thread (EARNED never awarded) and FIRST in the hearts and minds…err…disgust of the miscreanted DWs so also is Uga, the UGA Bulldog is FIRST on the list of College Mascots. I’ll just try to leave this here.

2. Hack Stone says:

Sum of a beach.

Dang it!
    Thats what I get for sewing the seeds of justice for the SotH.
    Have a GREAT weekend yall!

4. SFC D says:

Present! Damn job keeps interrupting my life. No fair.

5. Commissioner Wretched says:

Somehow, it seems, order has been restored to the universe. The King of Battle is first once again. Congrats to 5th/77th FA!

So in honor of his triumphant return, I present the week’s trivia. Enjoy!

DID YOU KNOW…?
    Was Sir Edmund Hillary really the first man to climb Mount Everest?
    By Commissioner Wretched

You are probably deep in the midst of your annual Christmas shopping by now.

After all, “Black Friday” and “Cyber Monday” have come and gone, and all the greatest of bargains have floated away by now. That doesn’t mean, of course, that you won’t find great stuff to give as gifts; rather, it means you may have to look a little harder for the best bargains.

I’ve never been very good at gift-giving. For a long time while my daughter was growing up, I deferred to my ex-wife as to the tone and direction of her Christmas gifts (and, of course, I never tried to influence what Santa Claus would bring). With my grandchildren, I’m more inclined to let my daughter give me guidance on what Christien, Natalie and Ryan are looking for.

Of course, there is always the greatest of old favorites and stand-bys. The one gift that is always the right size, always the right color, and always the right fit. I speak of cold, hard cash, of course.

And if you’re looking to gift your favorite trivia columnist, I wear a size $50 very well.

But don’t let me influence you.

One thing I will be happy to give to all of you is this week’s trivia – and there isn’t even a holiday attached! Have some fun with these.

Did you know …

… in Hawaii, it is illegal to place coins in your ears? (Why you would want to put coins in your ears, when you have perfectly good pockets, is beyond me.)

… there are more bagpipes in the United States than there are in Scotland? (While I love the music of the pipes, I must admit that a person playing a bagpipe looks like they’ve got a cat in their arms biting it on the tail.)

… it takes 120 drops of water to fill a teaspoon? (And somebody actually got paid to count that.)

… the popular breakfast cereal Shredded Wheat does not cost a lot to make? In fact, it costs more to make the box for the cereal than it does to make the cereal itself. (The box has more nutrients, too.)

… the man recognized as being the first to climb Mt. Everest may not have been? Sir Edmund Hillary (1919-2008), a New Zealand-born explorer, is credited with being the first man to step atop the “rooftop of the world,” Mt. Everest, in 1953 along with his Sherpa guide, Tenzing Norgay (1914-1986). But a mounting body of evidence may show that George Mallory (1886-1924) could have reached the summit first. Mallory was one of two men – the other being Andrew Irvine (1902-1924) – who were climbing Mt. Everest and were last sighted only a few hundred meters from the summit, ascending into the mist. The two never came back down, and Mallory’s body was found in 1999 on the north face of the mountain. Irvine’s body has not been found. Did the two reach the summit and fall on the way back, or did they fall before reaching the top? A camera which the men carried with them would give a definitive answer, but it was not found along with Mallory’s body. If Irvine’s body is ever found, and the camera is with it, history books may have to be rewritten.

… in 2009, scientists conducted a thorough search of Scotland’s Loch Ness in an effort to find evidence of the popular monster, Nessie? The search turned up nothing that could be related to any cryptozoological creature such as the Loch Ness Monster, but it did turn up 100,000 golf balls. (Somehow, that fits.)

… the death of a distant star could wipe out all life on Earth? Astronomers tell us that if a star within a few thousand light-years of Earth were to go supernova, the gamma ray burst that is released in the explosion could strip away our planet’s ozone layer. That would pretty much mean the end of all life. Two things have worked in our favor, at least so far: most supernovae that we’ve noticed are too far away to harm us, and of those that might happen close enough, our system would have to be in the direct line of the exploding star’s north or south poles – the parts where the gamma ray burst would emanate. The bad news is, we wouldn’t know about it until it hit us, as gamma rays travel at the speed of light, and there would be nothing we could do about it anyway. (Just what we all need … one more thing to worry about.)

… the Pentagon has an official plan for handling zombies? True, zombies as postulated in the movies cannot exist. But if they did, our Department of Defense has a plan. It is known as Conplan 8888, and its three main parts involve protecting non-infected humans, eradicating the zombie horde, and establishing – or, more likely, re-establishing – the rule of law. (And, no doubt, resuming the collection of taxes.)

… humans have more than five senses? Sure, we’re all aware of sight, touch, sound, smell, and taste. But we also have about 15 more, including balance, pain, time, temperature, and internal senses for suffocation, thirst, and fullness. (That makes sense.)

… female pigeons cannot lay eggs if they are alone? In order to lay eggs, a female pigeon must at least be able to see another pigeon. (Of course. She has to have someone to brag to.)

… the name of the popular dog breed greyhound has nothing to do with its color? Greyhounds, believed to be the most ancient of dog breeds, were named after a mistranslation of their early German name, greishund. That word means “old” or “ancient dog,” and has no connection with the color grey. (Or with buses, for that matter.)

… the first Burger King Whopper, introduced in 1957, cost 37 cents?

Now … you know!

6. Mick says:

TAH Admins:

This developing story may rate consideration for its own post after more facts about the incident come out.

‘Naval Air Station Pensacola shooter was Saudi aviation student, investigators eye potential terror link’

• Roh-Dog says:

If we had just f**king listened to Marie Harf and gotten him a job…

• AW1Ed says:

I’m keeping an eye on it, Mick. Details are sparse and updates slow.

• OWB says:

And the (dead) shooter is reported to be a foreign national. Who could possibly have foreseen that eventually allowing free and easy access would result in one of them killing some of us? Nobody, right?

Right.

• Ex-PH2 says:

This comes two days after a sailor assigned to watch duty on sub at JB Pearl/Hickam, HI, decided to shoot two civilians and then himself, because he was apparently unhappy with his “commanders” (must mean senior POs or officers).

I’m keeping a weather eye on all of this, and will post what I find ASAP, but I will not jump the shark to get the story. Everyone okay with that?

7. ninja says:

“The man recognized as being the first to climb Mt. Everest may not have been? Sir Edmund Hillary, a New Zealand-born explorer, is credited with being the first man to step atop the “rooftop of the world,” Mt. Everest, in 1953.”

Let us never forget that Ole Hillary was born in 1953 and that her parents named her after after this Explorer.

Oh, yeah, she also came under fire by a Sniper in Bosnia.

And Bill Clinton is Chelsea’s Dad.

And Jeff Epstein did not kill himself.

Anything I left out?

😉

• SFC D says:

Soylent green is made out of people.

• Roh-Dog says:

Slick Willie flew on the Lolita Express a number of times, some AFTER Epstien’s guilty plea for child trafficking, and the whole rotten family spent time at his sex ranch.

And UraniumOne.

And her coughing fits (those demons are clawing their way out, imho)

ninja said…”anything I left out?”

Yes… a certain bernasty wanna be pile it lawer is still maintaining minus 6 feet AGL.

Sir Edmund always said both he and Tenzing were first, together.

ex-Wiki:
      Norgay and Hillary were the first people to conclusively set foot on the summit of Mount Everest, but journalists were persistently repeating the question: “Which of the two men had the right to the glory of being the first one, and who was merely the second, the follower?” Colonel Hunt, the expedition leader, declared, “They reached it together, as a team.”

Except that when Hillary was born, and presumably named “Hillary,” no one in the U.S. had ever heard of Edmund Hillary because he had yet to climb Everest.

I think you meant: “And Jeff Epstein killed himself,” to be consistent.

• ninja says:

rgr769:

Yep, you are correct about the Jeff Epstein comment.

Thanks!

RLTW

Your comment caused me to do some googlefu on Hil-liary. After confirming she was born in 1947 and was thus about five years old when Edmund Hillary climbed Everest, I read about her law school days, and I discovered where her commie tendencies come from. She did a summer clerkship at a law firm in Oakland, CA where two of the three senior partners were self-avowed communists. It has always struck me as contradictory to be a lawyer and communist. Communism is quite famous for show trials where the outcome is pre-ordained by the dictator; thus, it seems rather pointless to be a lawyer. One might as well be an actor.

8. AW1Ed says:

Get’em goat!

go navy

• Roh-Dog says:

The Midshipwomen are going DOWN!
      GO ARMY, BEAT THE TAR OUT OF NAVY!!!

Army gonna tear thru Navy like Sherman thru the Carolinas. The goat will be offered up as a BBQed snacky thingie and/or the Annual Navy Ball Date.

go army

• ninja says:

Hey, No Fair!

I can’t post a GREAT picture of a Mule kicking a Goat OUT of the Stadium!

(Rubbing hands together in glee)…Gotta go dust off my Army-Navy Jokebook.

Let The Games Begin!

😎

9. Frankie Cee says:

When will Americans learn that there are two kinds of Muslims; There are Radical Muslims that want to Kill you, and there are Moderate Muslims that want Radical Muslims to Kill you. Read the scriptures of their so-called religion, and learn.

10. thebesig says:

Have we been doing it the wrong way throughout our lives? A banana is duct-taped to the wall. It sells for $120,000:

• Roh-Dog says:

Full. Clown. World.
      I f**king DARE any of you to prove me wrong.

• Mason says:

Modern art is literally garbage.

Several years back a girl friend wanted to go look at some art. So we go to the local art museum, very famous. Cost like $12/ea to get in, and then we’re walking around looking at stuff that’s about as far from what I’d call art as can be. One exhibit was large rooms, painted white, with colored fluorescent light tubes on the walls in odd spots. Like one room it was on the far wall, in red, horizontal. The next room it’s vertical, in purple, on the right wall.

We left there and went to the state art institute’s museum. Cost of entry is a donation. Tons of gorgeous art. Renaissance paintings as big as a wall. Ivory scrimshaw with insane levels of detail. Even Frank Lloyd Wright furniture. A much better experience.

In short, I agree with Paul Joseph Watson on modern art.

• timactual says:

A few decades ago my wife and I visited the Boston Museum of Fine Art to see an exhibition of impressionist painters. Terrific!

After we had seen the exhibition we decided to check out the rest of the museum while we were there. We left the exhibition, turned a corner, and stopped in our tracks. The first word that came into my mind was “sterile”. The first thing that caught my eye was a large turnip or plumb bob looking thing which may have shown the “artist’s” skill as a machinist or lathe operator but was certainly not art.

An unpleasant finish to a nice day, sort of like when your mouthwash clashes with your toothpaste.

• OldSoldier54 says:

It is COMPLETE crap!!

• timactual says:

” He made several models: first in resin, then in bronze and in painted bronze (before) finally coming back to the initial idea of a real banana.”

My heart goes out to anyone trying to teach Art Appreciation these days. It must be tough, even for the PC crowd.

“Is that your homework assignment?’
      “No, it’s my lunch”.

11. I see that Whale wars are back on the animal planet. Something odd about that show in that those ships are sailing alone, so who are taking videos of these individual vessels from a slight distance away which are shown on the screen. capt watson back in action. I thought that he was in a heap of trouble a few years ago. The girl crew members all have that same look as the girls looked right after sir hillary lost in 2016. I’m no fan of those peeps but like to watch the series in that they use different types of devices to try and stop the whaling ships which can cause injuries to the whalers and disable their ships but when the whalers try and defend themselves, watson and his ilk cry foul in than that, the whalers fight back.

• A Proud Infidel®™ says:

Any time I ever watched that show I rooted FOR the Whalers. One, the Species they seek is no longer even threatened and their top Captain wallows in money donated even more than WHINEstein does with his outfit while his crew are volunteers who also talk about how they’re on the public dole at home. My absolute favorite scene is when they were docked someplace and some local Fishermen not only guaranteed each of them an ass kicking if they came ashore, they also cut the mooring lines and let their gangplank fall in the water as soon as they drifted off! Remember the clip of where he got “shot” while wearing a vest?

• API;
        watson always made the snow balls for the crew to throw. I remember the vest deal. remember when I think he went to Norway where taking seals was perfectly legal and was being done for hundreds of years and he tried sticking his nose in their business.

• A Proud Infidel®™️ says:

I think that he’s just another crooked attention whore and I look forward to seeing him get what’s coming to him!

• Roh-Dog says:

“The Whalers are dead to me”, he says sitting tens of miles from Hartford.

• AW1Ed says:

Top Gun is to Naval Aviation what Whale Wars is to ship handling.

• Fyrfighter says:

I’ll admit, I enjoy watching Whale Wars.. kinda reminds me of old Keystone Kops or Three Stooges reruns..
      The clowns on that show sure don’t do their cause any favors with their asinine antics, except among “true believers”

FIRST Fifty and Honorary First once again.

((((OVER))))

13. Graybeard says:

Present and unaccountable.

Was monitoring a class of 9th graders working on a project researching the use and cost of ethanol as a fuel.

Some worked, and some acted like you’d expect 9th graders to act.

Hope to get some squirrel hunting in soon.

14. lily says:

This is by far one of the most stupid post ever on TAH. The Hebrews who returned to Jerusalem weren’t ever in some type of struggle against their own government over the 2nd Amendment of the USA constitution. Their was never an issue back in that time over a person having a weapon because life was so primitive that a weapon was necessary to basic existence. In today’s society we don’t allow people to carry grenades, rock launchers and other weapons because we’re not that primitive anymore. We are starting to restrict arms because not everyone is imminent danger all the time of being attacked by a wild animal or another human. The ancient Hebrews didn’t have a law enforcement force the way we do in modern western society. Your application of the Bible to your right wing/libertarian views is nothing more than pandering to your like minded buddies here on TAH.

• Roh-Dog says:

Yeah, totally primitive, no law enforcement.
      Kinda like Berkeley before Shapiro.
      Like the DC inauguration riot.
      Ferguson.
      New Orleans after Katrina.

I’ll give you a clue what faction of us commits such acts of incivility, it ain’t the right.

• lily says:

This post intentionally made blank. Reason, being abrasive and not contributing to the discussion.

• Roh-Dog says:

I don’t see where the problem is with the Man, he did have some anti-corporatist, anti-usury views.
          But you keep on, keeping on snowflake.

Btw, its a drum magazine.
          XOXO

• lily says:

Deleted.

Maybe liely was referring to a periodical for those who craft those lovely oak barrels in which one of my fave beverages from Scotland is aged.

• Mick says:

Nah, in lily’s world a ‘barrel magazine’ is simply another one of those evil black assault weapon parts that are so scary and must be banned.

You know, like the flash processor, the thing where the knife hooks on, the big clips that hold a lot of automatic bullets, and the thing that goes up at the back.

• OldSoldier54 says:

Jesus could care less about your politics, sister.

He ain’t on your side, my side, anybodies side. God just is. It’s up to us to figure out His take on the various issues of life and align ourselves with His view, because His opinion is the ONLY one that matters.

• lily says:

Deleted.

• 11B-Mailclerk says:

You should be very careful how far down this path you go, and how you tread while on it.

It has consequences. You cannot argue your way out of them.

• HMCS(FMF) ret says:

He/she/xhe can’t put together a sound argument in the first place, from all of the ranting and screeching I’ve seen

• A Proud Infidel®™️ says:

Hey lily, Jesus loves you, but everyone else here thinks you’re a brainless asswipe!

• OldSoldier54 says:

I apologize if that was unclear.

“God just is.” is derived from what He told Moses out of the burning bush … “I AM”

He is the Rule Maker. He is not a Republican or a Democrat. He is not a Conservative or a Liberal/Progressive. He is the Ancient of Days. Before anything was created, He is.

You have free will. I hope you choose to align yourself with His Will, and walk always in it. Examine the Scriptures carefully, Lily, and take care.

• SFC D says:

You should hear what some of us think about Revelations 19:11.

• 11B-Mailclerk says:

For reference:

Revelations 19:11:
            And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.”
            -KJV

The adjacent verses provide context, as do prior books. Additional reading and study is recommended.

(Grin)

• Toxic Deplorable Racist B Woodman says:

Uh oh! Lily’s dealer forgot to deliver her meds again.
      Batten the hatches for the upcoming verbal shitstorm.

• HMCS(FMF) ret says:

(Prep the brain bleach, TAH regulars)

Lily, is this you?

• Roh-Dog says:

I’m trying to ‘Judge not…’, but FFS they ain’t making it easy.
        Fellas, you’re wasting your prime hunting years!

• Mason says:

I’m glad those people can find each other.

I’m not glad they reproduce. Poor kid doesn’t have a chance, does it?

At first blush, I thought her T-shirt said “oink.” She sure picked some manly soy-boys to sire her spawn. I used a Vulcan mind blank/block so I could not imagine their bedroom antics. I pity the judge who has to figure out which one has to pay child support and who funds the kid’s psychotherapy in a ten to twelve years.

• 11B-Mailclerk says:

The places in America with the strictest restrictions on Arms are the places one is most likely to get attacked and need Arms.

Always we are promised the streets will run Red with blood if carry bans or type bans are lifted. Always are those warnings quite wrong.

Your attempt at logic is again faulty.

Note, we have a right to keep and bear arms because it is a fundamental human right, prior to the Constitution, and not at all based on perceived need. There are always would-be predators and would-be tyrants about. The right to keep and bear is not based on other folks perception of need. It is a fundamental part of the rights to Life, Liberty, and Property. It is the means to defend those, and enforce them. Yes, that right is to Arms. Not just “stuff some fainting flower can tolerate seeing”.

The Founders codified the right to keep and bear Arms, not because of ” Indians” or “deer” , but because they could foresee wannabe tyrants and wannabee slaves demanding others accept chains.

It is a right, not a privilege.

Anti-free folks like you are why it is a right. You would trade away necessary Liberty for the perception of tolerable servitude.

• NHSparky says:

You oughta have a keen eye for stupid, toots.

• thebesig says:

lily: This is by far one of the most stupid post ever on TAH.

If you’re going to accuse a post of being “stupid”, at least educate yourself on the topic that you’re talking about. Additionally, it helps to understand what you are reading, and with placing it in context to what is being argued and to what is being referenced.

I’ve followed your responses on the other threads but chose not to reply. The others did a good job with handing you your rear end. The others that you’ve addressed in those threads conducted themselves like adults… You constantly barged in like a spoiled brat child, pulling a tantrum, and wanting attention.

Now, sit down, relax, and enjoy my showing you how stupid you come across.

lily: The Hebrews who returned to Jerusalem weren’t ever in some type of struggle against their own government over the 2nd Amendment of the USA constitution. [INDUCTIVE FALLACY: STRAWMAN]

“A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.” – 2nd Amendment

I’ve bolded the keywords: “the right”. As used here, the Founders are referencing a natural right. From our founding fathers’ perspectives, “natural rights” are those given by God. They exist in the nature “created by God”.

Our founding fathers were well-versed in history, as well as with the Bible. They tied realities from both recorded history and Scripture and made the connection with both and with what they experienced. Repeatedly in the Bible, and in history, people have been allowed to set apart what is theirs and to defend themselves.

Additionally, setting up and defending territories, as well as defending oneself, is something that commonly exists in nature. Not just with the human species.

The point is not about whether there was a continuous struggle with a government. The point, with arguments related to the Second Amendment, involve the intention of the founders, their reasoning then, and our reasoning now not to infringe on it.

Under Mosaic Law, only the murderer is held accountable. This is consistent with the arguments of conservatives. Mosaic Law does not call for removing anything that could be used to commit murder. Two examples of this are listed with God’s interaction with Cain after he murdered his brother, and later with regards to statues involving murder committed with an instrument of iron, an instrument of wood, or with a body part. In these and other examples in the Bible, the perpetrator is held accountable. Those who did not commit murder were not denied the use of equipment that can be used to kill.

With regards to preventing those, not authorized to property (land), from entry. Both the Old Testament and New Testament reference examples where property is separated from the public in a way that prevents those from coming in.

A thorough reading of the Bible would show numerous examples supporting the right to bear arms and to set up obstructions to protect one’s land and animal property. These are mentioned as if they were “matter-of-fact” actions.

Hence, a statement from the Vatican criticizing those of us supporting the Second Amendment, as well as those of us who want the wall, is inconsistent with what one would read in the Bible with regards to being able to fight back against attempts to take our lives, and with setting up a barrier to prevent illegal entry.

lily: Their was never an issue back in that time over a person having a weapon because life was so primitive that a weapon was necessary to basic existence. [INDUCTIVE FALLACY: STRAWMAN]

You ignore basic human nature. This nature is the same now as it was during the period you describe humanity as primitive. Yes, our culture, technology, philosophy, etc., have changed. However, human nature has not changed. It has remained the same. This is something you’d pick up on if you were well read with regards to history and with the Bible.

Since human nature is the same now as it was throughout our history, realities needed to deal with the bad side of human nature back then is still the same as it is now. Just as there were people back then who intended to engage in “theft of life”, there are those today who intend to engage in “theft of life”, or murder.

Hence, the right to bear arms now is just as important as the right to bear arms back then.

lily: In today’s society we don’t allow people to carry grenades, rock launchers and other weapons [INDUCTIVE FALLACY: STRAWMAN]

You’ve been on this website long enough to know that when we argue in favor of the Second Amendment, we are arguing for weapons that we are currently allowed to purchase, own, and operate. Nobody here is complaining about not being able to carry grenades, rocket launchers, or any other weapons other than the ones that they currently own or can currently purchase.

lily: because we’re not that primitive anymore.

Again, despite the fact that our technology, culture, philosophy, etc., has changed since the time range in the Bible, since ancient history , the midieval period, etc., our human nature remains the same. What is pushed in the Bible, as well as what our founding fathers pushed with regards to the Constitution and their arguments, primarily address human nature. They do not primarily address culture, technology, etc.

People committed murder during the ancient period, they commit murder today. We are no different from our ancestors when it comes to basic human nature. Hence, things like the right to bear arms are still relevant today.

• Roh-Dog says:

With all due respect, thebesig, your statement “Nobody here is complaining about not being able to carry grenades, rocket launchers, or any other weapons”
        is wrong. I’m complaining!!
        Kidding, but not really.
        Note: Any other weapons (AOW) are NFA controlled devises and require a $5 tax stamp along with the background check/registration process like other NFA items, ie suppressors, machine guns. Supposedly there is a process to attain grenades as an NFA controlled item, registered at a Destructive Device. I’ve never gone through it, nor do I have any knowledge on how, but sooner or later I may grow the fortitude to try.
        If you were alive a century ago you could simply walk into a gun store and buy a Thomson and drum mags and sticks of dynamite, no one would bat an eye
        “Progress”

• thebesig says:

Prior to your mentioning that, I only saw mention of the AR, AK, and other riffles… The leftist desire to take those and the conservative opposition to such. :mrgreen:

Lily made it sound like there’s a widespread fight to obtain grenades, grenade launchers, etc.

• Roh-Dog says:

Point taken.
            It’s almost like Lefties don’t know history, or pretend not to know, and would like to ‘incrementalism’ all of our God-given Rights away.

• 11B-Mailclerk says:

Smooth-bore launchers, typically 37mm, are legal, provided the rounds have no explosive filler.

Rifled launchers, typically 40mm, are regulated as Destructive Devices.

The rounds for both are not regulated if flare, smoke, tear gas, beanbag, “training/practice” , line throw, etc. Explosive rounds are individually DDs.

There are available in 37mm M203 replicas for attachment to an AR-15. They are essentially big ugly flare guns.

The prog gun-grabbers also want to restrict and ultimately ban all handguns. (At least they can argue that most crimes using firearms are committed with handguns, unlike long guns.)

As for grenades, every one here who has actually used and carried them in combat knows how inherently dangerous they are to the user and anyone in the bursting radius. No sane government would allow its citizens to purchase and carry them about like they are firecrackers, which are still legal in many states. Grenades, land mines, and rocket launchers certainly have no use for legitimate self-defense from crime.

• Fyrfighter says:

“Grenades, land mines, and rocket launchers certainly have no use for legitimate self-defense from crime.”

But they could come in quite handy against tyranny, the actual reason for the 2nd Amendment…

• thebesig says:

lily: We are starting to restrict arms because not everyone is imminent danger all the time of being attacked by a wild animal or another human.

Wrong. The movers and shakers that want to restrict arms are the very people that want to increase power at our expense. Additionally, crime statistics prove you wrong with regards to “not everyone being in imminent danger all the time with being attacked”. Just ask those people living in places like Chicago, or even in a third world country. Those people that got killed via mass knife attacks, mass shootings, mass vehicle collisions, etc., argue against your claim about “not being in imminent attack.”

In fact, AW1 provided a link and an article regarding a shooting that occurred at Pensacola. One big question to consider is how far would the shooter have gone had one of the students been able to fire back the moment he opened fire on them.

Mass shootings at schools, where no firearms are allowed? Yep, “no primitive here, move right on along”. 🙄

lily: The ancient Hebrews didn’t have a law enforcement force the way we do in modern western society.

First, during the period of Exodus, Joshua, Judges, and the first part of Samuel, the Hebrews policed themselves similar to the way the founding fathers advocated. They are not exact, but we have a situation where we had Hebrews that were armed and had the ability to enforce Mosaic law.

Second, during the latter part of Samuel, and onward throughout the rest of the Bible, they had a government. When the Assyrians, the Egyptians, the Babylonians, the Persians, the Greeks, and the Romans, had control over Judea, they also had enforcement capabilities over the Hebrews. They formed a sort of “federal level” government.

Even in these situations, the Hebrews were allowed to be armed. Revolts were dealt with accordingly.

Third, this is referencing Western history, the ancient Romans attempted to disarm the Visigoths coming into their realm. They even held inspections to ensure that the Visigoths did not have weapons. The Visigoths hid their weapons. The basic argument with this policy is that the Romans would have provided the protection and policing. The Visigoths rightfully did not trust the Romans.

And, since you mentioned modern Western history, you should be familiar with government efforts to disarm their citizens in order to strengthen their control over the citizens. Vladimir Lenin has reportedly said that one person with a gun can control 100 people without a gun.

A hostage situation shows how this is applicable. NAZI Germany showed how this is also applicable.

Even law enforcement, in parts of the US, are arguing against the idea of disarming the citizens.

It’s like I mentioned above, human nature does not change. Yes, we have a police force. However, the time it takes for police to respond in the time you need to address the threat, could lead to two different outcomes. By the time the police arrive, they could find your body and not that of the person that intended to take your life… Or they find the body of the one who tried to take your life.

lily: Your application of the Bible to your right wing/libertarian views is nothing more than pandering to your like minded buddies here on TAH.

False. It is based on the fact that I have read the Bible from cover to cover-twice. The second time is relatively recent. I’m currently going through the Deuterocanonical Books, which are not listed in the King James version of the Bible.

The Bible is the biggest argument in favor of conservative philosophy. It is the biggest contradiction against leftist philosophy. One of the reasons to why blue was originally associated with conservatives in this country is that blue is associated with the sky, God. There are other reasons as well, but the leftists accusing the conservatives of being influenced by the “religious right” is not something that they pulled out of thin air.

Red is the actual color of leftist ideology. During the Presidential Election of 1984, the states that Reagan won were shown in blue. Minnesota and DC showed up in red. Mondale won those.

lily: The Bible has a true verse about people like you who use it to manipulate others for your own gain.

Before you pull quotes out of the Bible, you need understand what it is that you’re reading in context not just of the book that you’re pulling the quote form, but in context of the entire Bible. You will not truly understand where the Bible is coming from unless you read the entire book. From beginning to end. You demonstrated, through your response, one of the reasons to why this is the case.

lily: 2 Timothy 4. For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

This is an example of what I’m talking about. This statement applies to you, not to me. You clearly have not read the Bible. If you did, you would not insist, as you did here, that it does not support what I say.

“Their own lusts” speaks about the opinion that you expressed here against my position. What I presented to you where the facts based on my actual reading the Bible. You, lusting after your own opinion and after what you want or think the Bible is actually talking about, turned away from the facts that I presented.

Your reaction here is an example of turning the ear from the truth. If you read the rest of the letters that Paul wrote (epistles), you would see that.

Your lack of understanding of what you are talking about, with regards to what the Bible says, and with regards to verse 3 of II Timothy chapter 4, painfully showed with your botched attempt to explain away what I talked about.

People misinterpreting Scripture, and doing things that their ego tells them is the right thing, like what you are doing here, is what St. Paul was addressing when he wrote that letter to Timothy… As well as his other letters that follow the Book of Acts.

If you read the entire Bible, you will notice that human nature back then is not that different from human nature now. There is a reason to why the left is waging war against religion, specifically against Judaism and Christianity.

Let’s take the impeachment angle. If you were to take Mosaic law, mentioned and reiterated in the first five books of the Old Testament, you would find that the Democrats would be in violation. In fact, if you were to read the Gospels, specifically with the trial of Jesus, you would see similarities between his trial and the current impeachment process.

There is a reason to why Moses has a prominent position in both the federal Capitol building and on one of the facades of the Supreme Court. Our founding fathers considered God’s laws as the foundation of all laws. Our founders believed that it was from these laws that the other laws flowed/evolved.

Again, the Old Testament and New Testament are consistent with conservative philosophy. They contradict leftist philosophy. I will give you an example.

The left believes that the government should take more from the rich in order to give to the poor. However, the Bible and conservatives argue that such a charity should be done voluntarily and not be done as a requirement of the law.

I will be more than glad to educate you further on what is contained in the Bible and what is meant by it should you, in your arrogance, continue to pursue this argument.

Kudos, Besig, for your excellent fisking of these comments by our lamest resident progtard. As a septuagenarian, I have neither the time nor inclination to read let alone respond to xher/her blathering brainless BS.

Literally thousands would likely be criminally killed or maimed every year if we had to rely solely on the police to protect us. The only way to stop a bad man with a gun is with a good man with a gun, period.

15. The Other Whitey says:

Jorge Bergoglio definitely lost any credibility he might have had left when he placed pagan idols in a chapel named for a Saint who was martyred for refusing to submit to pagan rituals. That jerkoff is not my Pope.

On an unrelated note, I recently read a rather cool anecdote about the new “Midway” movie. The production team built a full-size mockup of a TBD-1 Devastator for the flight deck scenes. The mockup is said to be accurate right down to rivet placement. After they finished filming, the mockup TBD was donated to the USS Midway Museum, to be displayed on Midway’s hangar deck alongside their (real) SBD-3 and F4F-3.

16. ninja says:

“Mark D’Amico Pleads Guilty To State Charge, Sentenced To 5 Years In Prison For Role In $400,000 GoFundMe”

“Mark D’Amico will spend the next five years in prison after pleading guilty for being the alleged mastermind in a GoFundMe scam that defrauded more than 14,000 donors of more than $400,000. D’Amico on Friday pleaded guilty to the state charge of misapplication of entrusted property…”

• HMCS(FMF) ret says:

He’s still looking at possible charges from the Feds… could me more time in the “pound him in the ass” prison

17. AW1Ed says:

Lily has been placed in Admin Moderation for forgetting his manners. Again.

AW1

• HMCS(FMF) ret says:

Sounds like a certain SJW/Socialist troll that routinely visits TAH…

• Hack Stone says:

Further proof supporting Hack Stone’s theory that Daniel Bernath fakes his death and has assumed a new identity.

• The Stranger says:

Basically one lawer insulting and threatening another lawer…my give-a-damn must be broken, can’t seem to make myself care.

The system has been yapping about lawers’ incivility towards opposing counsel for many years, but this guy in Commiefornia has really raised standard for abusive comments. Unfortunately, his clients have a very stupid lawer. Now I have said some offensive stuff to opposing counsel on a few occasions, but I certainly didn’t put it in writing.

18. Hack Stone says:

Hack Stone was just watching the NBC Today Show Sunday episode, and they were doing one of those softball celebrity interviews with some African American lesbian. (Checked all of the boxes there). Anyway, she has some new movie out where she and her companion kill a racist white police officer in self-defense. She then said that “every day an African American is killed by a white police officer”. When the “journalist” failed to challenge that statement, Hack Stone was obligated to change the channel.

19. ninja says:

Interesting Web Link that lists those who have been arrested or convicted of Insurance Fraud.

Ole Rich Meleski is listed.

There is even a Hall of Shame.

Greedy Little Ducks.