A Few News Items

| October 14, 2019

Marines with Umbrellas? Well, so far the women Marines are allowed to carry them, but not the other Marines.

From the article: The old adage of, “If it ain’t raining, we ain’t training,” could be in serious jeopardy if a pending update to the Marine Corps uniform policy overturns a rule prohibiting male Marines from carrying umbrellas in uniform.

It’s about time.

The aforementioned motto is steeped in a illogical masochism similar to the “pain is weakness leaving the body” banality that every recruit who has even reached the third phase of boot camp realizes is firmly entrenched in idiocy.

In “How to Win Friends and Influence People,” author Dale Carnegie wrote, “When dealing with people, remember you are not dealing with creatures of logic.”

The escapability of basic logic in the Marine Corps is, at times, admirable. – article

But wait! There’s more good news to come:

The Marine Corps is now considering nursing shirts for Marines who are Moms:

Women Marines are already allowed to carry umbrellas. It appears that accommodating a nursing Marine Mommy is only one more step to ensuring that when you sign up, you get to keep your job, no matter what. The question about backpacking the little rugcrawler on bivouac training does come up my corner, but isn’t addressed in the article.

Category: Marines

1. Ret_25X says:

I get no umbrellas in tactical environments, but no umbrellas in dress uniform always struck me as….moronic…

I always wondered why until I served with some of those decision makers….

Woo hoo hoo…some of our senior leaders ain’t that smart….

2. Graybeard says:

The aftereffects of the (D) policies of some guy who will be a footnote in the history books.

Hopefully the withdrawal will be complete soon. Some (D)rugs take quite a while to recover from.

• Ex-PH2 says:

Yeah, Graybeard, I’ve been trying to remember who that guy was, but it escapes me. Was there something notable about him that would trigger a faint memory? There are eight years missing there for me.

3. sj says:

In the early 80’s someone created a picture of an Air Force officer in uniform walking along with umbrella deployed in the rain. Next to him was an Army guy, without umbrella, looking like a drowned rat. Caption was something like Which One Displays the Best Military Bearing? (I can’t remember the exact caption).

Does rain water run off the backs of Marines like m r ducks?

5. Great idea for the Marine Chicks to carry umbrellas but The umbrellas should be sword umbrellas like a sword cane so this way when they are being over run and out of ammo, the order can come out to Fix umbrellas. No, that’s not right, It would be fix swords and the umbrellas would be two fold so as the bullets “rained” down on them, they could deploy the umbrellas.

6. 11B-Mailclerk says:

Here is an interesting news item:

A little fratricide in the ranks. A Night of the Long SUV.

More and more gang-ish. Note some participants in the affray were shooting.

Expect further. Movements become rackets.

More and more do they resemble that which they claim to oppose.

7. YatYas says:

When I started in the Air Force, males were not allowed to use an umbrella. Shortly after leaving to join the Marine Corps; the Air Force started letting males use the umbrella. Bottom line is that the Corps should continue to disallow males from using the umbrella.

“If It Ain’t Raining, We Ain’t Training” RAH!

8. FuzeVT says:

On the one hand – It makes sense in service uniforms. I remember many a time I was wishing for an umbrella on “Chucks” Fridays,

On the other hand – NNNNOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! You gotta be outta yo damn mind!!!! Aint gonna be no Marine that’s capable of killin’ anyone worth killin’ gonna carry no umbrella!!! AAAAIIIGGGGHH!!!

Nursing Cammie uniforms – Wouldn’t that mean you would have to have your new crumb-cruncher with you? Or is this about pumping? Or is this about having someone else bring the child up so you can let him have a hit every now and again or at lunch? Part of me thinks that if you are going to be a Marine mom, your reality is that you won’t be able to do that a whole lot. My wife nursed our kids for a year each. Great bonding, great health benefits and we didn’t buy one can of formula (expensive I hear) between two kids. Having someone else raise your kids from infancy on is not ideal, but as an active duty mom is something you have to deal with. If you are thinking about making a nursing cammie blouse, my question is how do you see this being used? Seems like if you need the nursing flaps (whatever design) that would mean that you plan to use them frequently, yes? If not, why have them. And if you plan on using them often, how is that going to work? I have a lot of questions for when I care what the answer is. I guess I’m trying to not turn into one of those “Back in my day” retirees (although the truth is I may have been doing that since 1997).

9. MustangCryppie says:

When I was going through the police academy, the “powers’ that be decreed that we ricky recruits could and should walk rather than continuing running everywhere on campus.

Well…that didn’t go over too well with our instructors and none of us dared walk. The pain would have been too great.

I have a feeling this will go that same route.

10. Sea Dragon says: