Scotch Whiskey about to get 25% cheaper

| March 7, 2021

Scotch Whiskey

The KoB sends word that Scotch (among a couple other products coming out of Britain) are going to get cheaper, for at least a little while.

Fox Business reports;

A new deal negotiated between the United States and Britain will see a temporary suspension in tariffs placed on certain goods. These items included Scotch and other whisky drinks.

Starting on Monday, the United States will suspend tariffs placed on direct exports from the UK for a period of four months, The Sun reports. The tariffs had been put in place in 2019 in response to similar tariffs that had been placed on Boeing parts (Boeing and Airbus have reportedly been at the center of a trade dispute that has seen tariffs placed against exports from the United States and Britain).

Britain reportedly suspended those tariffs last December as a goodwill gesture.

According to research by the Scotch Whisky Association, the tariffs resulted in lost business that cost the industry over $690,000,000. The lifting of these tariffs is being touted as a boost for the industry.

“From Scotch whisky distillers to Stilton-makers, businesses across the UK will benefit from the US decision today to suspend tariffs in this dispute,” British Prime Minister Boris Johnson said, according to The Sun. “It shows what the UK can do as an independent trading nation, striking deals that back our businesses and support free and fair trade. I now look forward to strengthening the UK-US relationship, as we drive economic growth and build back better together.”

The move is reportedly expected to help Scotch producers in Scotland, where up to 50,000 people work in the industry. According to The Sun, Scotch was the UK’s largest food and drink export in 2020.

Ron Burgundy will be most satisfied.

I had to Google what Stilton is. I’m not very cultured (in before Jeff LPH 3 makes the pun) and didn’t know about it. It’s a cheese. I’m no connoisseur, but the Wikipedia makes it sound similar to blue cheese.

Category: Foreign Policy, International Affairs

1. Anonymous says:

Yes, please!

2. AW1Ed says:

Heh. Gun Bunny tried to push this as a Daily FGS candidate. While post worthy, and arguably a feel-good story for some, it just doesn’t meet the criteria of a TAH FGS.

• KoB says:

HEEEEEYYY!! I said it was a kinda sorta feelz gud story. I mean, who wouldn’t gets to feeling more better saving themselves 25% on some shore ’nuff good sipping Scot’s Whiskey? And a deal on that good smelly Stilton Cheese on a cracker (triscuit not a redneck white boy) with some bacon wrapped sausages. With some cat headed biscuits. You you for shore that the Hardin Boy gonna be all over that.

And another thing. For those that took the time to read the article, you may have noticed that Cashmere was on the list too. Now who among us don’t think they would get some feelz good seeing some blouse bunnies, like say, oh Mary Frann, wrapped around a Cashmere Sweater. Honey Hush!

Pass me that jug of Glenlivet, I need to raise a toast to my Scottish Ancestors.

3. Green Thumb says:

Cool.

The False Commander “Phony” Phil Monkress (CEO of All-Points Logistics) can get drunker before work on the cheap.

It will save American taxpayers some change that they ante up on his contracts that he procured under his highly questionable and borderline felonious Native American, Navy SEAL and Law Enforcement claims.

4. UpNorth says:

Just the excuse that Pedo Joe and the Ho need to raise the cost of diesel fuel. Overall, probably not much of a savings, at all. Not that they really need an excuse to raise the price of anything.

5. OWB says:

OK. To show my support, I will buy some Scotch. Glenlivet will do nicely.

6. Slow Joe says:

When will politicians understand tariffs only raise the cost for the consumer?

Milton Friedman had it right. The only good tariff is zero.

• 11B-Mailclerk says:

That zero requires both directions. Otherwise it isn’t zero.

Note that the scotch tariff resulted in the removal of the Boeing tariff.

Also of note: originally we funded the Federal government almost entirely by tariffs and duties, instead of direct taxes on people. They tend to be growth-limiting, because the higher they go the more they are avoided.

7. Devtun says:

Sleepy creepy Josef Bidenov been hitting the bottle? Dadgum, this is just plain sad.

Scotch makes me gag. Good Scotch more so.
    GF drinks the Johnnie Walker Black label.
    I like good Bourbon no matter the cost.
    Woodford Reserve..barrel finish select..double oaked.
    About $50 a bottle and worth every penny.
    Versailes Kentucky…ther’s something in the water there.

• Steve 1371 says:

Jim Beam Rye is about as good as it gets around here. Never did like the taste of Scotch.

• 26Limabeans says:

My mom drank SS Pierce Rye….God love her.
        Dad drank Dewar’s White Label Scotch.

• Hondo says:

Same here re: Scotch. I found the taste reminiscent of rather foul-tasting medicines. I’d guess it probably was the rather pronounced peat flavor component that turned me off.

Irish, on the other hand, . . . . well, let’s just say I can drink that if/when it’s offered. In moderation, of course. (smile)

• SFC D says:

D’s Cantina always has a good stock of Irish. Never cared for Scotch either. Good Kentucky bourbon though… 🙂

• Hondo says:

Bourbon’s generally drinkable, too – not my fave, but drinkable.

That’s provided it isn’t sour mash bourbon. Never cared for sour mash bourbon.

• Stacy0311 says:

Do you have a source for Conemaragh 12 y/o Irish? My only local source stopped carrying it.

• David says:

Not a fan of Irish or that alcoholic Listerine called Scotch, but to compensate I stick with American Bourbon. But in a pinch, ‘most any whiskey is better than most other brown likkers. Or most of the clear ones.

• 26Limabeans says:

Just got in the mail today a coffee table photo book as a birthday gift.

“Bourbon Tails: The dogs of Bourbon Country by Beth Andrews”
            proceeds to the Kentucky Humane Society.

Still in the wrapper I can’t wait to open it.
            How’s that for perfect timing?

9. 5JC says:

Nice. Few pleasures in life like unwinding with a good single malt.

10. IDC SARC says:

Huzzah!

11. Topski says:

There is a god! Was down to my last bottle

12. KoB says:

No matter your choice of distilled Class VI Spirits, we all have this plea!

13. Dustoff says:

I’m a solid Canadian Whiskey man, so probably no effects on my ethanol intake.

• Hondo says:

IMO a good Canadian is pretty hard to beat. Even the cheaper Canadian whiskies are generally decent.

• KoB says:

Ex dependapotumous #2 ruined many a bottle of Canadian Mist by mixing it with caffeine free Diet Sprite. Yeah, I know! One of the many reasons she became Ex #2!

14. rgr769 says:

I’ll be looking for that price drop in Laphroig.