Urban Miyares; embellished tales

| May 30, 2017

The folks at a Facebook group of veterans who served with 6/31st Infantry of the 9th Division in Vietnam asked us to help them sort through the stories of Urban Miyares, a soldier who served with them briefly in 1968. Miyares tells the story that when he arrived in Vietnam, he felt ill, but his leadership thought that he was malingering. They sent him out on a combat operation, during which he collapsed. While he was passed out, his whole unit was wiped out. He claims that he was put in a body bag and he was discovered by an alert medic in Lai Khe two days later. He regained consciousness two days after that. He was diagnosed with diabetes and subsequently medevaced to the United States where he was discharged.

That’s the story that you can find all of the internet, here, for example.

His records support much of the story. He was a “shake and bake 90-day-wonder” NCO and sent to Vietnam, assigned to 6/31st after orientation. This is what the fellows of that unit had to say about his records;

We were successful in obtaining the portion of your military records that is available via the Freedom of Information Act. The information provided is as follows:

Aug 1967: Service Date
6 Oct 1967: Graduated Basic Training, Ft Jackson, SC
15 Dec 1967: Graduated AIT, Ft Polk, LA
17 April 1968: Graduated NCOC, Ft Benning, GA
20 April 1968: Assigned as Sqd Leader (OJT), Ft Polk, LA
26 July 1968: Assigned as Team Leader, Alpha Company, 6/31st, 9th Infantry Division.
23 Aug 1968: Enroute to CONUS, VA Hospital, Phoenixville, PA.
27 Dec 1968: Discharge Date

The group checked with the leadership of the unit on his story;

You mentioned that when you were first assigned to Alpha Company, you were ill and that the company commander thought that you were malingering. [Note: In talking to the Alpha Company Commander, he stated that he does not remember ever having an NCO with this problem, and, that if he had, he would not have forgotten it.] After you were finally assigned to your platoon, you stated that on your 2nd day in the field you experienced a diabetic coma as you were inserted into a firefight in which your entire platoon was wiped out. You were then found by medics, thought dead, and placed in a body bag, only to be later found alive by a medic at Lai Khe. Note: In your email to me, you stated that no one ever actually told you that you had been placed in a body bag, and that this incident was arrived at in 2004 when you heard of a medic (Brian) in Lai Khe who had found a person alive in a body bag, and, after talking to the medic, this seemed to explain the 2 days that you could not account for between when you were inserted into the firefight and when you awoke in the Saigon hospital. While in the hospital, you were told that you were the only survivor from your platoon. In one account you say that the Alpha Company Clerk told you, while you were in the hospital in Saigon, but in another you say that you were told by a 9th Division soldier while in the hospital in Japan. In your email to me, you stated that it was an unknown 9th Division soldier who told you, while you were in the hospital in Japan.

Over a period of several weeks, we were finally able to contact and talk to the following men who were in Alpha during the ~17 days that you were assigned to Alpha Company: the Commanding Officer, the 1st Sergeant, the Company Clerk, the Company Supply Clerk, the Ranking Company Medic, as well as 3 men who were inserted on Aug 7, 1968 when the only Alpha men (3) were KIA’ed during the month of August 1968. Unfortunately none of these men remember you, or the incident that you describe as occurring on Aug 12. These men not remembering you, as well as you not remembering anyone from Alpha Company should not be considered unusual as it appears that you were assigned to Alpha Company for such a short time, and assigned to a platoon for only 2 days before being medevac’d out of the field; however, a surprising thing that our phone calls did uncover is that, per the 1st Sergeant, your name does “not” appear on any of the Alpha Company rosters, that he still has in his possession, for the entirety of 1968. The omission of your name on all of these rosters could only be explained by one of the following two conditions: (1) The 1st Sergeant has somehow misplaced a roster, which he says is not the case, or (2) You were assigned to Alpha Company after completion of your two week in-country training at The Reliable Academy; however, you were medevac’d to Saigon with your diabetic condition prior to actually reporting in to Alpha Company. Note: Since no one in Alpha Company remembers you, and since your name is not on any of the Alpha Company rosters, this seems to be a strong possibility. This would also align to what you were saying about you not being assigned to a unit for several weeks, due to your health problems. In other words, while you were ill, instead of reporting into Alpha Company, you may have remained at The Reliable Academy. Once your health condition permitted, you may have gone out on an in-country field training exercise with The Reliable Academy personnel, and during this training operation, you fell into a diabetic coma and were medevac’d to Saigon for treatment.

Please understand that in no way do I believe that you intended to intentionally mislead anyone. I realize that you were ill and that the entire ~6 weeks that you spent in Vietnam is very unclear in your mind. You do need to understand, however, that many 6/31st combat vets, especially your fellow “Shake and Bake” sergeants (me being one) see many “red flags” as they read your comments and/or listen to your speaking engagements. In addition, your story changes slightly from speaking engagement to speaking engagement. I will detail, below, some concerns with several of your statements:

(1) That you served as a Drill Sergeant while at Fort Polk. As an NCOC graduate, while at Fort Polk, per your military records, you were actually serving as an OJT Squad Leader, and not as a Drill Sergeant.
(2) That prior to being assigned to your permanent platoon, you served as a squad leader, platoon sergeant, and/or platoon leader, in a number of different units, to cover for men who were temporarily out of the field for various reasons. Note: I served in the field, for 9 months, as the platoon sergeant of Delta Company, 6/31st, 3rd platoon and what you have stated would never have occurred in a combat unit, especially with a raw E5 straight from NCOC. Replacements were covered by temporarily moving men up from within the platoon. A “stranger “would not be acquainted with the men in the platoon as to their duty assignments, weaknesses and strengths, nor would they understand the standard operating procedures within the platoon.
(3) Your platoon was wiped out on Aug 12, 1968: During the Vietnam War, the 6/31st “never” lost an entire platoon. The most being 6 men from 1st platoon, Delta Company, on January 12 – 13, 1969. Alpha Company lost no men on Aug 12, 1968. Their only loss in August was 3 men KIA’ed on Aug 7, 1968.
(4) You were placed into a body bag and found alive 2 days later in Lai Khe. As stated earlier, you said that you “arrived” at this incident in order to explain 2 missing days from when you were inserted into the firefight and when you awoke in the hospital in Saigon.
Several concerns here:
• You mentioned that both you and the medic (Brian) wondered how you could have ended up at Lai Khe, and the answer is “You could not have”. Lai Khe was part of the 1st Division area of operation (AO) and well outside the 6/31st_9th Division AO. You would never have been taken to Lai Khe. Depending upon your condition, you would have been taken to either Tan An, Dong Tam or Saigon.
• Per our 6/31st medics, with the heat and humidity in our AO, there is no way that a person in a diabetic coma could have survived 2 days in a body bag. In addition, as soon as a body bag arrived at the morgue, the body was placed in refrigeration to prevent decomposition. Thus, the Lai Khe medic probably did find a live person just prior to placing the body into refrigeration, but that person could not have been you.
• Additionally, if by some miracle this incident had occurred, Alpha Company would have been notified in order for them to modify their casualty list. Per the Alpha chain of command, this never happened, and, if it had, they would never have forgotten about it.
(5) Alpha Company Clerk telling you, while you were in the hospital in Saigon, that you were the only survivor from your platoon. The Company Clerk said that he never traveled to Saigon to tell anyone that his platoon had been wiped out. Again, in an email to me, you stated that an unknown 9th Division soldier told you this while you were in the hospital in Japan.
(6) Your health issues possibly resulting from exposure to Agent Orange. This is very doubtful since you were in the field only 2 days.
(7) You routinely delayed mail call until your platoon’s operations were over in order to not have a man going to the field after possibly receiving a distressing letter from home. Again, you were assigned to your platoon for only ~ 2 days, most likely serving as a Team Leader within a squad. You would, therefore, not have had the authority to delay anyone’s mail call. In fact, only the Platoon Leader would have been authorized to delay mail call.

Based upon the information above, we believe that:

1. You were not placed in a body bag. Our guess is that you were probably medevac’d from the field due to what the medic initially thought to be either a heat stroke or heat exhaustion. This was not an uncommon occurrence with new men who had not yet adjusted to the heat and humidity of the Delta.
2. Upon arrival at the Saigon hospital, it was finally determined that you were suffering from a severe diabetic condition, and treated accordingly. Note: The two days that you state were “missing” were probably due to a combination of your body recovering from the initial shock of the diabetic incident and the medication that you had been given upon your arrival at the hospital.
3. After it was determined that you were severely diabetic, you were shipped from Saigon to Japan and later to a medical hospital in the USA where you stayed until you were discharged from the service.

Urban, I understand that this may or may not be the information that you were hoping for in order to be able to expand upon your Vietnam experience for your biography; however, I am afraid that this is what we have arrived at after many, many hours of reading, listening, calling, emailing, etc. Based on these findings, in your future speaking engagements and interviews, we would think that you would want to discontinue speaking about your platoon being wiped out, and of you being placed into a body bag, because it is clear that these incidents did not occur.

Miyares’ response to their research;

I want to thank you and all the others so much for filling in many pieces to what happened and may have happened. This is just great, and it addresses quite a bit.

There are a couple of items I truly question, but they are really incidental…I only had hoped that someone, from the last platoon I was with, was around to just talk to them/him about what he had remembered of my time with them.

Guaranteed my public speaking and telling about Vietnam will not include what others had told me, as I’ve always felt most uncomfortable in telling this story (which first began publicly in 1995), as I had no proof of what actually happened with me being sick prior to passing out in the field.

Hopefully the dreams will subside with this information as this is the first validation of what probably happened, and I can sure live with it. So sad I didn’t know this years ago, as it’s been baggage I’ve been carrying for a long time.

Again…cant’ thank you enough for all your work and persistence with this matter; it now makes drafting my autobiography so miuch easier.

So, why are we concerned with this story since it seems to be resolved? The story just seems too good to be corrected. Here’s a video of an interview that Urban did earlier this month and he’s still telling it to supplement his business plan three years after he was made aware of the facts of his story;

Category: Phony soldiers

Comments (74)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

  1. Ex-PH2 says:

    My question is simple: if he was a diabetic, how did he pass the screening test on entrance, in the first place?

    That kind of thing was tested for at entrance physicals. It was the 1960s, not World War I. There were tests for that, starting in the early 1960s.

    • Hondo says:

      Lab errors on blood sugar tests are not unknown, even today. I personally know someone who got a call from their doctor one day to see if they was “feeling alright” for that reason.(false extremely high reading).

      My guess is that his test was either borderline-normal or simply erroneous the day of his entry physical.

      • IDC SARC says:

        When testing students, I often used my own blood to test the glucometers they would use. Not uncommon at all to find devices and or strips that are out of whack.

        • HMC Ret says:

          IDC: I routinely used my blood sample for T3, T4, Free T4, TSH, Dig (zero), HCG (zero) and many others. If my results varied from acceptable limits, the entire run got trashed. I routinely resubmitted samples from the prior run, perhaps done a day to a week earlier, to verify reproducibility. Also, each kit came with known values. I loved laboratory RIA. We used mostly Mallinckrodt kits … they were golden.

    • IDC SARC says:

      You’re not diabetic until you’re diabetic. I’ve had men become insulin dependent diabetics (completely skipping the non-insulin dependent phase) during their time in,the onset can be pretty quick. There are a number of theories why it happens but nobody knows for sure.

      Blood sugar levels have to climb above 200mg/dl before you spill sugar into the urine. Normal Levels are 70-110…so it’s a significant increase.

      Your tests for glucose in the blood and urine are only as good as the reagents used that day and the person that performed the test and interpreted the results. Even today, once you open a bottle of test strips if they aren’t stored properly and used in a timely fashion the reliability gets hinky.

    • Tom Huxton says:

      upon exit from the “Viet of the Nam”, one had to pass a drug screen. Some really wacky results could be obtained by submitting apple juice for the test. eventually your speed, morphine, hashish load would be fairly determined, delaying your home trip.

      • 26Limabeans says:

        “upon exit from the “Viet of the Nam”, one had to pass a drug screen”

        How was it administered? I do not recall having been tested and I do not recall a test even being available at that time.
        What did they test for and how? Urine? Blood? Dog? Eyesight?

        • 26Limabeans says:

          Never mind. I left in 1970.

          1960’s Vietnam era. Significant Service member use of marijuana and heroin common.
          June 11, 1971 – President Nixon directed military drug urinalysis program to identify
          service members returning from Vietnam for rehabilitation.”

        • @ 26 LIMA BEANS:

          When I processed out of the old Republic of Viet Nam, I and everybody else had to take a urinalysis, as heroin use was so widespread.

          I never used any drugs, not even marijuana, but I still had to submit a urine sample, which for me, was no problem.

          At Camp Eagle, one of the guys in my hooch, who was from New York City, was severely addicted to heroin.

          Heroin, which was over ninety percent pure, was sold in plastic capsules, the type used in gumball machines, for $10.00, which were called “dime caps”.

          The heroin was not injected, but was snorted through a rolled greenback (yes, greenbacks were illegal to possess) dollar bill.

          Heroin and marijuana were smuggled from the old Republic of Viet Nam to the United States of America by placing a flattened plastic bag containing the contraband product between an innocent looking Polaroid photograph and the hard cardboard backing.

          Heroin and marijuana were also smuggled by placing them in flattened plastic bags inside the covers of photograph albums.

          My attempt to stop this was (I believe) the reason fragmentation hand grenades were used on two occasions, first to warn me, and finally, to try and murder me.

          In Da Nang, one of the guys bragged that he could get his dime cap of heroine for $4.00, because his Vietnamese mama-san got it for him.

          Men who tested positive for drug use were sent to Cam Ranh Bay for rehabilitation.

          Years later, when I was in Korea, and later at Fort Hood, Texas, the drug of choice was either cocaine or methamphetamine, which were either snorted or injected.

          Marijuana continued to be prevalent throughout the ranks, at every post I was stationed at.

          • I just now remembered that the mandatory urinalysis was called, “OPERATION GOLDEN FLOW”.

          • Does anyone here remember the incident where heroin was being smuggled from the old Republic of Viet Nam into the United States of America, with the heroin being concealed inside the bodies of dead American soldiers?

            That’s documented, so I know I’m not the only one who’d remember that.

            • HMC Ret says:

              I recall hearing that and it was an uproar for a time, then all quiet. I never did know if it was based in reality or ???

              • Jonn Lilyea says:

                I think it was an episode of The A Team.

              • Perry Gaskill says:

                It was also a plot element in the film American Gangster which was a somewhat fictionalized account of the case of convicted drug dealer Frank Lucas. According to Lucas’ partner on the RVN end, the dope wasn’t actually transported in the bodies or caskets of servicemen. It was hidden in the pallets the caskets were secured on during military air transport.

                Nor was it a single incident. The scheme went on for years. The whole stored-in-bodies thing was apparently something Lucas made up to boast about.

            • CC Senor says:

              It’s in the NY Times, so it must be true. And yes, I remember when it was a big deal.


              • Perry Gaskill says:

                The inmate in the ’87 NYT story, Ike Atkinson, is the former partner of Frank Lucas noted in the comment above.

            • TDrachman 187th AHC 67N20 says:

              Yes it was Leslie Ike atkinson who smuggled a shitload His nickname was Sgt Smack look up on Google

            • Fjardeson says:

              Plot element of Without Remorse. Tom Clancy.

          • Guys who use marijuana are always telling me how harmless it is, and how mellow and peaceful the users are.

            But, in the old Republic of Viet Nam, they tried to murder me with a fragmentation hand grenade while I was sleeping in my hooch.

            During the time I was in Germany, when I was stationed at Kleber Kaserne in Kaiserslautern with Company A, 11th Air Defense Signal Battalion, 32d Army Air Defense Command, a group of guys in my unit, who I was not acquainted with (as far as I am aware) who were using marijuana chased a guy they thought was an informer for the Criminal Investigation Division, and castrated him.

            That story was printed in the “STARS AND STRIPES” newspaper.

            Does anyone here remember that?

          • Graybeard says:

            My brother who was in 82nd AB in the 80’s tells of guys who’d fire up their hash pipes on the way down.
            One of them didn’t pay attention once and nearly entangled or dropped him once. When they got to the ground, the drug head hit the ground several more times – hard.
            No one saw a thing.

        • rgr769 says:

          In 1971, when I left, everyone had to piss in the container with an MP sitting on a stool overhead making sure we all pissed in our own cup. I was offended that they would do this to a RA CPT until I noted the guy at the urinal next to me was an LTC.

          • Perry Gaskill says:

            I don’t remember the piss test, although it probably happened. The weird thing I do recall is standing in front of a counter at Tan Son Nhut while some guy went through a bunch of 35 mm photographic negatives I had stuffed into a 5 X 7 manila envelope. This took about 15 minutes to inspect every frame, and I still have no idea what he was looking for.

            • Maybe he was looking for photographs of casualties, including dead enemy soldiers, as those were not allowed.

            • rgr769 says:

              He was looking for photos of the dead, particularly of the enemy. I had the same experience, plus we were told possession of them was verboten.

              • GDContractor says:

                My Uncle made it home with some color slide’s of several. He was an Infantry PSG 198th LIB/Americal. His deployment to VN ended in the fall of ’68.

                I recall a dead VC and ARVN guys cutting out his heart. All on Kodachrome…gives ya the nice bright colors…

    • Ex-PH2 says:

      I just wondered about it. I know there can be errors in screening, but in this case, since he passed out for two days, I just wondered how it could have been missed.

      On the other hand,the climate of south Vietnam is so humid because of the Mekong Delta that it might have triggered it. If he was borderline when he went into service, I guess anything is possible.

    • FatCircles0311 says:

      Had a mortarman from my company be diagnosed as diabetic in Okinawa in 2003. It happens.

  2. Mike Kozlowski says:

    … It’s within the realm of possibility that there was an error at the MEPS (I test twice or more daily with a state-of-the-art glucose meter and I still on occasion get flatly impossible results) and if he checked out ‘clean’ nobody would have checked again. Doesn’t excuse the guy but may explain it.


  3. Jerry White says:

    Here is another bit of information, related to Urban’s body-bag “tale”. He admitted to me in an email (which I still have) that he “arrived” at the body bag story in 2003 after talking to a medic (Brian Leet) who said that he had found a live person in a body bag in Lai Khe…around the same time period. This seemed like a good fit for Urban explaining his “missing” 2 days; therefore, afterwards, he started with his body bag “tale”. Here’s a big problem with this story: In his speaking engagements, he states that when he awoke in the Saigon hospital in Aug 1968, “someone” told him that “You are one lucky grunt. Someone found you alive in a body bag”. Question: If, per Urban himself, he didn’t “arrive” at the body bag story until 2003, how could “someone” in Aug 1968 have told him that he “had been found alive in a body bag”?

    • rgr769 says:

      Easy answer to your query: He has been making up this story for many years and he periodically adds fake facts whenever he is questioned, in attempts to explain his lies.

  4. Jerry White says:

    Reference the 2011 YouTube video link below:


    I would love to see the “evidence” that the medic Brian Leet supposedly has of Urban ever being found in a body bag at Lai Khe (Brian’s base camp), because there is no way that this can be true. In this video Urban states that “I knew the base-camp where I was later found alive, by Brian Leets, in a body bag, because we sometimes had radio communication with and dropped wounded and dead off at the base-camp”.BS! This Lai Khe basecamp was ~40 miles north of Saigon and in the AO (area of operation) that belonged to the 1st Infantry Division (Big Red One). In 1968, the 6/31st (9th Infantry Division) was operating in Long An province, ~20 – 30 miles southwest of Saigon. We were in completely different divisions, and in completely different AOs. We had absolutely “zero” interaction with the 1st Infantry Division! We “never” had any communication with Lai Khe and certainly never medivaced anyone (alive or dead) to Lai Khe. All of our medivacs went to installations within 30 miles…certainly not to an installation almost 100 miles away. Heck! There was even another Army Division and AO in between the 9th Infantry Division and the 1st Infantry Division. That was the 25th Infantry Division (Tropical Lightening). Maybe Brian did find a live body in a body bag, but, if he did, it most certainly was “not” Urban Miyares. This body bag “tale” needs to stop NOW!

    • rgr769 says:

      Also, each infantry division had its own trauma hospital at the division’s base camp. I never heard of KIA in one division’s AO being flown to another division’s hospital or mortuary facility further away from the casualty site. I also never heard of KIA’s received in body bags at the rear being checked by medics. I thought that was a graves registration unit function. I don’t think medics went around in the rear checking for vitals of corpses already bagged and tagged. Maybe a field medic might do that on an LZ in the bush, but not someone in the rear, receiving the KIA’s

  5. HMCS(FMF) ret says:

    Wow… URBAN MIYARES is told the truth about what happened, and he still “rocks the lie”. Just watching the few minutes on the video makes me sick to my stomach. He’s nothing but a attention whore… and loves being in front of the camera.

  6. Jerry White says:

    Reference Robert Stewart’s video link:

    For those who watch this 2015 video, they will note that Miyares is again claiming that his entire Alpha platoon had been “wiped out”, and they their body bags were lined up when the medic (Brian Leet) found him still alive in a body bag. As previously noted, no Alpha platoon was ever “wiped out”, and the most KIA in Aug 68 was 3…and…none on the Aug 12 date that Miyares claims. In addition, no way any 6/31st men would have ever been medivaced to Lai Khe which was ~100 miles from our 6/31st AO.

  7. Jerry White says:

    Reference question of “Has anyone contacted Homefront concerning their video?”

    The answer is Yes…and their founder (a Marine) apologized profusely. They are a totally volunteer, non-profit organization who work to help vets in the San Diego, CA area. They had no idea who Urban Miyares was as he had been recommended by another organization. They have taken steps to insure that Miyares never again appears in any of their videos.

    Please do not contact Homefront with negative inputs as ~25 6/31st vets have previously bombarded them with nasty emails…which, once we knew the facts, were not deserved. In summary…they are a bunch of vets, just trying to help other vets.

  8. Cpl/Major Mike says:

    When I joined the Marine Corps the military was accepting bodies, they still had a draft and yes, the Marines were taking draftees at that point in time. I don’t think they gave a shit if you were a fucking leper as long as the recruiter could get his quota.


      I keep getting told by other guys that the United States Marine Corps and the United States Navy never drafted anybody.

      But, I remember when I went into the United States Army on Thursday 07 December 1967, all of the military services were drafting, including the United States Marine Corps.

      When I try to tell guys this, no one believes me.

      They say that if guys were drafted into the United States Navy or the United States Marine Corps, they had to enlist, or else be put in the United States Army, because only the Army permitted draftees to serve just two years on active duty.

      Were you in the old Republic of Viet Nam?

      Do you remember this stuff?

      In Basic Combat Training, we were told that the letters, “NG”, on the dog tags of guys in the National Guard, stood for, “No Good”.

      National Guard and Army Reserve were unpopular because guys joined those units to avoid going to Viet Nam.

      Of course, I know a bunch of guys in an Engineer unit in the Idaho National Guard who went to Viet Nam, and Dan Quayle’s Infantry unit in the Indiana National Guard went to Viet Nam, where they were used for Long Range Reconnaissance missions.

      Dan Quayle didn’t go, but his unit did.

      Do you remember all that stuff?

      Sometimes, I feel like I’m all alone with my memories of the old Republic of Viet Nam, because nobody knows what I’m talking about, or else, they don’t believe me.

      Do you ever get that feeling, or am I the only one?

      • IDC SARC says:

        “Sometimes, I feel like I’m all alone with my memories…”

        Unless you lose your conviction and have the urge to conform to their views, I wouldn’t worry about it.

      • Steve Weeks says:

        I was drafted on Dec. 5, 1969 at Fort Jackson, S. C. After being put into a room with many other guys a Drill instructor from the Marine Corps enter the room and informed us that the Marines also drafted and for us to line up and count off and that each 6th man step forward and go with him.

      • HMC Ret says:

        JRM: I remember guys being pressed into service with the Marines. Volunteers were asked for, but if not enough came forward, an announcement to the effect of, “All you guys on that row, from that guy down, are now Marines. Get over there.” ISYN This was 1968 MEPS Station. Only excuses were those few who had been guaranteed a certain school or other special circumstances. This was taken care of a little later, after the exodus from one row to another. ISYN. True story. So if you joined the Navy to avoid RVN, could be you ended up there, just in a MC uniform vs an Army uniform. BTW, I was scared shitless. I kept my eyes open on the guys and some snuck back before their identity was known. They mingled among the Navy guys, hoping to evade discovery. I made sure after that, that I sat about in the middle of the rows. I didn’t want to hear, “You five guys, on the end of that row, get over there. You’re now Marines.” Nope, they were gonna have to dig for me.

      • 26Limabeans says:

        Boston Army base MAR 68.
        The entire room was sworn in as a whole.
        Then names were read and those men were welcomed into the Marine Corp.
        Then more names were read and those men were welcomed into the Navy.
        I was RA Army and got on the bus to Dix.

      • Mike MacDonald says:

        I was drafted 28 May 68 and when lined up at the AFEES, they counted down the line
        “1, 2, 3, Marine”. Every forth person became a Marine and was drafted.

  9. CC Senor says:

    All of my first tour (Dec 66-Dec67) and most of my second tour (Jul 68-Jul69) was spent in Lai Khe. I remember the 9th Div being temporarily based in Lai Khe when they first arrived in country and also remember their participation in the second battle of Bau Bang in early 67. Then they moved to the delta. I don’t recall if they made a stop at Bear Cat or not. A lot of units from the 11th ACR and 1st Cav passed through Lai Khe during my time but none from the 9th with one exception. In late 68 the 9th traded a mech battalion (2/47th?) for a leg battalion (1/16th) of the 1st based at Lai Khe. The battalions were reflagged and was a swap of personnel and equipment. I got around quite a bit, but I never got to the delta and I don’t think Miyares ever got to Lai Khe.

  10. Jerry White says:

    Interesting comment made by Robert Stewart in another Comment section under the FOIA Information.

    Robert Stewart says:
    May 30, 2017 at 1:48 pm

    You will note that in Miyares Freedom of Information documents that his awards include: National Defense Ribbon, Vietnam Service Ribbon and a sharp shooter bolo badge. Notice particularly that he earned no CIB. If he were in any actual combat, with his infantry MOS, he would have earned a CIB, even if he was awarded nothing else. He only had to be in the field one day if that day included actual combat to earn a CIB. Such documented information casts doubt that he was ever in any combat action at all.

    • @ JERRY WHITE:

      Since he was awarded the Republic of Viet Nam Service Medal, shouldn’t he also have received the Republic of Viet Nam Campaign Medal?

      I thought that was automatic.

      Also automatically awarded to all personnel is the Republic of Viet Nam Cross of Gallantry with Palm Unit Award.

      Of course, at the time he was discharged from the United States Army, that unit award was not in effect, since it wouldn’t be announced until 1973 (I think – – – my memory is a little fuzzy), so even though it’s not on his DD-214, he’s still entitled to it.

      One other thing I’ve noticed – – – ,

      Wasn’t his unit the same one that Forrest Gump was in?

      • Jerry White says:

        I thought the same on the Vietnam medals, but in checking, unlike the Vietnam Service Medal, the requirements for the Vietnam Campaign Medal has a time requirement as follows:

        (1) Have served in the Republic of Vietnam for 6 months during the period from March 1, 1961 to March 28, 1973. (2) Have served outside the geographical limits of the Republic of Vietnam and contributed direct combat support to the Republic of Vietnam and Armed Forces for six months …

        Miyares served only ~ 1 month in country.

        Yes…Forest Gump “served” with the 9th Infantry Division but not with Alpha Company, 6th/31st…per Wikipedia, Forest served with 4th Platoon, Company A, 2nd Battalion, 47th Infantry…along with, of course, Bubba and Lt Dan. 🙂

      • timactual says:

        “Also automatically awarded to all personnel is the Republic of Viet Nam Cross of Gallantry with Palm Unit Award.”

        Not in every unit. If it is like the US unit awards, it is awarded permanently only to those in the particular unit at the time of the award. Otherwise, it is only worn over the right pocket while serving in the decorated unit.

        • Claw says:

          It (the RVNCGUC) is NOT like the US unit awards, as it was authorized/awarded by the RVN government. Same deal for the RVN Civil Actions Unit Citation.

          That’s why the current generation(s) of soldiers do not wear them on their right side. It was only for those of us who had actually BTDT.

        • rgr769 says:

          The RVN Cross of Gallantry was awarded on occasion to individuals by the RVN, but most frequently it was a unit award, comparable to our Presidential Unit Citation. Supposedly only those members of the unit when the unit award was made are authorized to wear the unit award after leaving the unit, whereas individual awards are like any other medal. I believe most MACV advisers were given the individual award by the gov’t of the RVN for their service.

      • Near the end of the war in the old Republic of Viet Nam, a blanket order was published in the “PACIFIC STARS AND STRIPES” newspaper awarding the Republic of Viet Nam Cross of Gallantry with Palm Unit Award to all United States Army and United States Marine Corps personnel who had served in the old Republic of Viet Nam.

        In later years, that order was amended to also include United States Air Force, United States Navy, and United States Coast Guard personnel who had served in the old Republic of Viet Nam.

        • rgr769 says:

          John, it appears you are correct. The Institute of Heraldry says the unit citation award was given to all Army personnel who served in MACV or USARV during the period from 1965 to 1973. So, an individual who served in RVN in that time frame would be entitled to wear the award even if he never served in a specific unit given the award. Thus, this lying poser would be entitled to one for his ~30 days in the Viet of the Nam.

  11. Skippy says:

    My last trip to the sand-box we had a fellow who fell in with us two weeks late and was gone after doing a right seat run after having a massive renal
    Failure issue that happened overnight the poor basted thought he had the flu and it turned out to almost take his life, he spent 6 months at Walter Reed
    And non of us ever heard anything again about what happened to him

  12. SSG E says:

    Learned some fascinating new things because of this thread – first, Shake & Bake Sergeants:


    …and The Reliable Academy:


    …had never heard of either before…

    • Claw says:

      The 101st Airborne had the same kind of thing as The Reliable Academy.

      It was called SERTS (Screaming Eagle Replacement Training School) and also was a five day deal.

      Held at various base camps as the 101 moved around. I did my SERTS at Camp Evans.

      • @ CLAW:

        FIVE DAYS?

        I was there two weeks, and Infantry troopers went an additional week.

        I also had my SERTS training at Camp Evans.

        I don’t remember the date I started SERTS, but I remember when I finished, 04 July 1970, because there was a rocket attack that night as we sat watching a movie.

        • rgr769 says:

          In the 4th ID, it was only 4 days for everyone new in country. One of our 4 days was the 4th of July, 1970; so the bunker guards went nuts at midnight of the 4th and had a mad minute. It scared the shit out of all us newbies in the barracks with no weapons, as we thought it was another sapper and mortar attack, like the one which occurred just a few weeks before we arrived in An Khe.

        • It didn’t happen to my SERTS (i.e., “Screaming Eagle Replacement Training School”, also known as “P” Training) class, but another group that went through SERTS later on lost some guys when the enemy booby-trapped the bleachers where we sat while being taught how to call in artillery fire and how to call for air support.

          I don’t know how many casualties there were, but it must have been horrendous.

          I think that was in 1971, but I’m not sure.

        • When I was assigned to the 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile), I had already been in the old Republic of Viet Nam for six months.

          But, that didn’t matter.

          Whether you had only just arrived in Country, or whether you had months of experience serving with other units, EVERY soldier assigned to the 101st Airborne had to go through the SERTS course.

  13. Jerry White says:

    Reference Urban’s comment: “I only had hoped that someone, from the last platoon I was with, was around to just talk to them/him about what he had remembered of my time with them”.

    Per Urban, not only can he not remember to which platoon he was assigned, he cannot remember the name of a single person from Vietnam. We have located 67 men who were assigned to Alpha Company at the same time as Urban. None of these men remember Urban, and they all agree, the “platoon wiped” out and “body bag” incident….never happened. BTW: Since per Urban, he was in the field for only 2 days prior to his falling into a diabetic coma, his “last “platoon was his “only” platoon; that is, if he ever really went to the field at all….which…is certainly in doubt.

    • Claw says:

      I am thoroughly convinced that he did the belly flop while still doing indoctrination training at the Reliable Academy.

      Orders were cut for assignment, Form 2-1 was annotated with the A Company designation, but he never showed up as an actual living, breathing body.

      What’s really sad is that now, 49, almost 50 years after the time, is that his three weeks in country is still the focal point of his life and he never even made it off the bench and into the game.

  14. Jerry White says:

    One of our 6/31st Delta Company “Shake and Bakes” graduated in the same NCOC class (18 – 68) as Urban. He remembers Urban from NCOC; however, he says that he never saw him while in Vietnam. Of course, since Urban was in-country only 1 month, it would be easy to “not” see him since Urban had been assigned to a different company (Alpha). However, when our guy reached out to the Alpha men with whom he has stayed in touch with since returning home from Vietnam, none of them remember Urban…and..of course, they all agree that the “platoon wiped out” and “body bag” incident never happened.

  15. Just An Old Dog says:

    Jim Rice, the phony USMC pilot confessed to me he was discharged as a PFC while attached to Marine Barrack DC due to diabetes.
    Said he went out for PT one morning and ended up going to Bethesda and was diagnosed with diabetes.

  16. Jerry White says:

    Looks like Urban Miyares is excited about his upcoming autobiography….below is a posting on his Facebook (Challenged America) page. Enjoy your tan Urban, here’s hoping that it gives you skin cancer. 🙂

    “Goodbye May; Hello June. A number of issues have kept me busy over the past couple weeks – only time to occasionally post on FB. The publisher’s contract is signed, and now comes the real work, as I’ve been warned. Writing a book is the easy part; everything afterwards is where the real work begins. The autobiography will probably not be on store shelves until 2018. Only one medical appointment next week, but need to take a break for a day or two to recoup energy. Now San Diego, let’s get rid of the June gloom so I can work on my tan again”.

  17. Jerry White says:

    The Homefront Media has been removed from YouTube due to the many negative emails received from a number of 6th/31st men. The emails were in regards to Urban Miyare’s “body bag” tale which, within the 6th/31st, is considered a fabricated tale that never happened. The men of the 6th/31st would like to express our sincere appreciation to Homefront Media for removing the video.

  18. Jerry White says:

    Based on information provided by men of the 6th/31st, the media company that produced the video that precipitated the 6th/31st’s investigation of Urban Miyares’ story (the American Airlines “Skyball XI” video) has removed the video from YouTube.

    The men of the 6th/31st would like to thank them very much for their removal of this fabricated story.

    • Jerry White says:

      Great news! In their latest newsletter, The 31st Regiment Association has finally responded to our request for their support in exposing Urban Miyares!

      Whatever has gone before with the Association and whatever they have or haven’t known or whatever their shape shifting and differing positions, or actions or lack of action, they do say now, a statement in black and white that is something that can’t be twisted, erased, nor easily denied. This is a good outcome.

      “The Association agrees that a significant part of Urban’s combat story is a fabrication.”

  19. Faitful American says:

    Great post which I firmly believe to be 100% true. Urban has not led an honorable life, nor has is son (who follows in his father’s footsteps of being deceitful for personal gain. This Urban has built an entire lifetime all based on false stories of his military career. It is a shame he continues to earn money, runs a non-profit, all based on this falsehood. Very disrecptful to true Veterans and those that are currently serving.

  20. Delta75 says:

    Surprise, surprise…Miyares has actually found a publisher who is willing to publish his autobiography. I am sure that the Vietnam War section will be a continuation of the lies that he tells at all of his speaking engagements.



    “Urban Miyares, nationally known public speaker, blinded Vietnam veteran, entrepreneur, social philanthropist, Alpine skier, and offshore racing sailor, chronologically tells his life story in “My Life Outside the fish Bowl.” From the mysteries surrounding his family and youth in New York City, the shocking story of being discovered alive in the Vietnam War, and challenges of returning home disabled, with a shortened life-ending diagnosis, to become an award-winning entrepreneur, and champion athlete are revealed in Urban’s memoir…”