Troll Policy Change

| February 14, 2020 | 42 Comments

Thar’s a new Sheriff in town, boys.

It has been brought to my attention that my handling of certain recent trolls has been less than satisfactory. My previous policy has therefore changed.

1) I will give fair warning on comments that I consider out of line, stray too far from the originating post, or attack fellow TAH members. I reserve the right to delete personal attacks immediately.

2) If there are additional comments in question, on a case by case basis, I will either add additional counsel on appropriate behavior, or shit-can the comment out of hand. The offender will have no choice in my action, and may contact TAH Admin for recourse. Good luck with that.

3) There is no three.

No more feeding the trolls on my posts, or any posts by other Admins on my watch. Dave, in his infinite wisdom has granted me full Admin status, with all the privileges and asspain associated with the position. You all know me, and I will be as fair and honest as I always strive to be.

Best Regards,
AW1Ed

Category: Internet, Navy

1. Poetrooper says:

Gee, Ed, don’t know whether to congratulate you or commiserate. Since it’s Hardin we’re talking about, I’d be inclined to believe you got dinged for being too lenient, like not going full nuclear on the initial transgression.

Well, in Dave’s case–maybe a bayonet charge…

Heh

2. Dave Hardin says:

Dave might be your biggest troll. Walk your post from flank to flank and take no shit from any rank.

The Village Idiot

3. Fyrfighter says:

Congratz on being awarded the coveted Ban Hammer!

4. Doc Savage says:

I think repeat offenders should be mocked and ridiculed relentlessly.

Its just so satisfying. 🙂

Did the promotion come with a corresponding cut in pay? Will there be a pinning ceremony? Do we get cookies? Sausage gravy with cat headed biscuits?

Congrats…or something…I think.

6. Skippy says:

Sounds reasonable to me

It’s Friday and with this news I do believe it is martini time!
    Bombay sapphire with a couple manzanillas…
    Here’s to the Great and Powerful Ed!
    May he be fair and judicious in the ‘executions’ of his duties!

8. Graybeard says:

We salute you Admins – and are grateful for not having to deal with the adz-hats our own selves.

9. NHSparky says:

Trolls will now be spanked and sent to bed without dessert.

Or just spike their shit.

10. A Proud Infidel®™️ says:

Sometimes ya gotta treat trolls like the cockroaches that they make themselves to be!

11. FC2(SW) Ron says:

I think you coulda picked a better hat sheriff…. just sayin’…

12. Hondo says:

FWIW: IMO this is a step in the right direction. But also IMO, we really need a uniform policy (as is spelled out in the TAH FNG instruction) for all authors. I personally think the late Jonn Lilyea’s single-decider (Jonn) moderation/ban system worked well.

Why do we IMO need that? Because otherwise, disruptive trolls will simply find authors who are more lenient (or simply don’t always have the time to review in detail all comments on all of their articles) and post their idiotic screed there.

AW1Ed, I fall in that latter category (sometimes short on time), and probably tend to be too lenient as well. If you happen to see a known or obvious troll commenting on any of my articles, you have my permission to nuke them.

• AW1Ed says:

Hondo,
      I will not apply the Ban Hammer- that is Dave’s prerogative. I will (and have) made recommendations, however. I will simply disappear the comment in question from the board, while retaining name, IP address, and the language of the comment for legal use, if needed.
      As I mentioned to Doc Savage, there will be no mercy, or feeding, of trolls on my watch.
      I will alert Admins if I have to nuke a troll on their posts as a courtesy. If any don’t wish me to do this, I will of course comply.
      Thanks for your input.

• Hondo says:

Understood. That was the same reason I never did so either, even though Jonn supposedly gave me admin rights well before he passed (well, that and I never learned the internals of WordPress well enough to figure out how).

At the time Jonn was el jefe at TAH – his house, his rules, his call. So I never tried to figure out how to ban anyone.

I personally don’t give a f…lip who makes moderation/ban decisions if/when those decisions are necessary. But IMO it really needs to be a single individual, and needs to be done consistently and in accordance with the TAH FNG info we’ve already published. Or we should probably change that guidance to reflect the current reality (if that hasn’t already happened).

Otherwise we’re IMO looking for trouble down the line.

13. HMCS(FMF) ret says:

So AW1Ed… does that make you “DA MAN”?

Congrats on being given the supernatural powers of wielding the TAH Ban Hammer! And, no stories about you wearing some of Dave’s “leisure attire” while policing this place (there are standards, y’know).

14. Frankie Cee says:

“or attack fellow TAH members”, Well Crap! We can’t call the “Commissar” what we think he needs to be called? That takes all the fun out of things.

• AW1Ed says:

Lars well knows what he’s in for when he comments here. As I’ve said, while I disagree with most of what he writes, I admire his resolve in coming here- he has the thick skin of an Admin, but needs the sense of humor that keeps us (mostly) sane.

He also gives back what he gets; it’s part of the board’s character and I’m not about to get between him and this crew, short of threats of violence.
      Better?

15. marinedad61 says:

Bravo, AW1Ed.

Layin’ it down like a Facebook group admin.
    Some need remindin’…
    that websites, including Facebook,
    are NOT a 1st Amendment Free Speech “I’ve got my rights” zone.

Feel free to share highlights of the trollphuckery that you delete.
    🙂

16. Honor and Courage says:

Is that a promotion, or just an additional title? It’s pretty hard to say something nice about Stolen Valor or other lying Military scum! I will try to follow the rules! Just keep up the good work!!! Regards

17. Slow Joe says:

So, the First stage of the French revolution is over, the Moderate phase, and the Second Stage begins now with the Rise of Maximilien AW1Ed Robespierre and the Reign of Terror.

18. Tallywhagger says: