Sgt Slaughter Called out on Stolen Valor

| January 10, 2020

The WrestlingInc.com reports that WWE superstar personality “Sgt Slaughter” is being accused of Stolen Valor.

Say it isn’t so.

In case you have any doubt – Santa Claus is real, wresting is not fake and Epstein killed himself.  *cough*

The transgression that Sgt. Slaughter made was making claims in non-kayfabe interviews.

In professional wrestling, kayfabe (pronounced KAY-fayb) refers to the portrayal of events within the industry as real, that is the portrayal of professional wrestling as not staged or worked. Referring to events as kayfabe means that they are worked events, and/or part of a wrestling storyline. In relative terms, a wrestler breaking kayfabe during a show would be likened to an actor breaking character on camera. (from: eWrestling Encyclopedia)

WWE Hall of Famer Sgt. Slaughter (Robert Remus) is being called out for talking about his worked military background as if it was real in non-kayfabe interviews.

The story behind Slaughter’s WWE character is that he was a drill instructor in the United States Marines. Slaughter would repeat this claim and tell related stories during non-kayfabe interviews from over the years. Slaughter was still telling these stories as recent as February 2019 as he told Sam Roberts and Jim Norton that he served two tours of duty in Vietnam. There are no other interviews where Slaughter gave details of his service, and it looks like that is because he never actually served in the military at all.

Slaughter claimed that he served 6 years in the US Marine Corps, from 1966 until 1973, but there’s an issue with that claim as Slaughter started wrestling for the AWA promotion in 1972.

Here is an interview that was a bone of contention where he says he was in Vietnam.

Referring to Vietnam, the interviewer asks “Were you messed up when you came back?” which, ironically, is being asked of a man that wears stripper glitter on his hat.

Also of note, the SSgt rank is that of the Army and not Marines and the woodland camo is modern day and not from Vietnam “times.”

I think most people can accept the fact that the wrestling world makes use of colorful characters, but when someone makes the claim it appears that they are making money off of these claims.  That, by definition, is Stolen Valor.

Category: Marine Corps, Marine Corps Poser, Marines, Viet Nam, Vietnam

1. The Stranger says:

Tempest in a teapot…I’ve never forgotten or forgiven his siding with the Iron Sheikh against the coalition in Desert Shield/Desert Storm Times!🙃

Iron Sheik approves

2. Hack Stone says:

Well, if this wrestling gig comes to a screeching halt, he can always head down to land a senior executive position with All Points Logistics.

• A Proud Infidel®™ says:

“IF YOU THINK that the Lunar Landings were faked and Pro Wrestling is for real, you might be a Redneck.”

Jeff Foxworthy

3. Sapper3307 says:

Juicy VenturDa was on a show talking about how filming Predator gave combat flashbacks to Vietnam.
    OOOpcy

That “twittertweet” about him says he’s 36 years old, so how did he manage to serve in 1966?
    Did he borrow Professor Peabody’s Wayback machine to “get some”?
    Or does he think that no one can do simple arithmetic?
    Seriously, this guy is a dorkwaddette from the get-go.

5. Comm Center Rat says:

“The jabroni beating, pie eating, trail-blazin’, eyebrow raisin’, all around, smack it down People’s Champ, The Rock!” will end Sgt. Slaughter’s reign of Stolen Valor.

Bwwaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Have known about this foolish tool for decades. I never was a “Live Atlanta Cheat and Fake Show” fan but baby Sister and Nephew were…big time! War Story Alert…TINS; Back in the mid 70s one of my side gigs was owning/operating a Sound Re-enforcement Company. Would go around setting up the PA Systems for various functions, bands, concerts, ‘rasslin matches ect. Doing a ‘rasslin match usually required more microphones than a small rock band in that I had to “mic up” underneath the “squared circle.” This was to amplify the “body slam” sound. Watched many a warm up/practice match while I’d be setting up for “the show.” Seeing some of the “action” in the dressing rooms was a major tummy churner to this hetrosexual male. Baby Sister was approached by a number of their Managers to be a “date/arm candy” for the ones that wanted to portray their “straightness.” Mama was slightly concerned til I told her of the preferences they had. Good times.

And yes, “SGT Slaughter” Robert Remus is a POS that is guilty of Stolen Valor and HAS used his claims for monetary gain…for years. But mainly he is like “Admiral seal/fighterpilotmarine” Bob McDaniel…a pathetic old man whose entire life has been a lie.

Haystack Calhoun once killed a man.

8. Comm Center Rat says:

Johnny Cash once shot a man in Reno just to watch him die.

9. Combat Historian says:

Sergeant Slaughter is the real deal. I saw him in the 1987 animated training film “GI Joe: Real American Hero”, where he put Lieutenant Falcon through his “Slaughter House” retraining brigade to shape him back into a good Joe to finally take out Cobra. I tell ya, Sergeant Slaughter is the REAL DEAL!!! (Sarc)

YA’ MEAN he was shoveling SHIT in Louisiana when…?

11. Hack Stone says:

Did you ever stop to think that maybe he was awarded the title of Honorary Sergeant by the The National Association Of Naval Photographers?

12. ninja says:

Tojo Yamamoto (born Harold Watanabe in Hawaii) was a successful Wrestler in the South in the 1960s who took on his stage name and persona from WWII Japanese Prime Minister Tojo and WWII Japanese Admiral Yamamoto in order to be “the bad guy”:

“Wrestling in Boaz, Alabama, Yamamoto gave one of the great performances in pro wrestling. Before the start of the matches, he asked to give a statement to the crowd, which booed and hissed and threw things. In broken English he said, “I wish make aporogy. Very sorry my country bomb Pear-uh Harbor.” And the crowd quiets, as he wipes away tears, and they awwww in sympathy. “It wrong thing to do, I wish not happen.” They begin to applaud. “Yes, I wish not happen, because instead I wish they BOMB BOAZ!!!” Needless to say, the arena erupted.”

Someone has to play the bad guy in wrestling.

13. Cameron Kingsley says:

He looks like he’s trying way too hard to look intimidating in that picture. I am not impressed. I remember an episode from this reality tv show (don’t remember what it was called, I found it online) where there are two families and one family member would trade places with the other family and the episode I saw a small chunk of had a black family where both the husband and wife ran an exercise boot camp along with being health nuts while the other family was your stereotypical white redneck family. Both the husband and wife of the black family wore military style clothing complete with camouflage trousers and ran their family in a militaristic style with the husband even wearing a Montana Peak cover or better known as the Smokey the Bear hat and had the drill sergeant/drill instructor personality with one scene having him throwing his son’s mattress out into the backyard because he didn’t make it right. I don’t know if the guy served in the military but boy that scene did not impress me because of how corny it looked. He didn’t impress me either because it looked as if he was trying way too hard to be a drill sergeant.

• Cameron Kingsley says:

I must add that I am not accusing him of faking military service because I don’t remember him ever mentioning that he did serve (I believe he never said anything about serving). It’s just that I found his character rather laughable.

• Daisy Cutter says:

I think it is this one: “Trading Spouses”

14. Dennis - not chevy says:

In a related side note: attention phonies, the BDU’s (such as Remus is wearing) were phased out about 8 years ago. Time to update your game.

15. Dennis - not chevy says:

And another thought – No USMC SSgt’s will allow anyone to call them Sergeant. The correct address is Staff Sergeant.

• SFC D says:

And never, ever address a USMC Warrant Officer as “Chief”.

I still have scars from that lesson. Bitemarks on my ass as well the emotional scarring.

• ninja says:

Ah, don’t feel bad, SFC D.

My E8 did the same thing during a Cobra Gold Exercise.

I’ll never forget him coming back to our workplace, telling all of us what happened. He was pretty flustered.

The Warrant Officer later stopped by our workplace and complained to my Counterpart, a Marine O5, about that incident.

You don’t wanna know what I said to that Warrant Officer.

Gotta take care of my NCOs. Backbone of the US Army.

😉😎

• SFC D says:

It was one of the most masterful ass-chewings I’ve ever received. Calm, cool, collected, no profanity, and he started off with “You’re Army, you don’t know any better and meant no disrespect. But here’s your lesson…”.

And just like that, my buttocks were swiftly removed with surgical precision. I walked away terrified and impressed.

• ninja says:

SFC D:

Well, I have to admit that the Warrant Officer came across professionally to you, but still…

At least he treated you with dignity. My NCOIC was not so lucky. And the Marine Corps Warrant Officer who chewed MY NCOIC for a small mistake such as that?

Well, let’s say WW3 almost started in our workplace between the Marine O5 and I because I let that Warrant Officer have it.

We finally calmed down and had a meeting of the minds. That Warrant Officer never made eye contact with me again even though he had to render a salute when we crossed paths.

• Twist says:

When my light Infantry Brigade transformed into a Stryker Brigade each Infantry Company got a Platoon of tankers for the MGS. I remember the one and only time that the tanker PSG made the mistake of calling our 1SG “top”. The 1SG started out with “Do I look like a fucking toy? Do you want me to spin for your pleasure?” and it only got worse from there. I swear that all the walls in the Company area were rattling from that ass chewing.

• Cameron Kingsley says:

I’m kind of afraid to ask how the rest of that rant went.

• ninja says:

Twist:

Wow. Things must have really change in the Army.

“TOP” was always a Term of Endearment, a Compliment.

Sorry, but I think that 1SG might have been a wee bit over sensative and went overboard.

Gee Whiz. A Soldier probably can’t use the term “The Ole Man” anymore.

Too much “Political Correctness”.

🤔

• A Proud Infidel®™ says:

In my Army career I had two different First Sergeants who were like that, the both of them went through life with no less than a dozen corncobs up their asses at any given time.

16. timactual says:

Hmmmm. Any connection between kayfabe (pronounced KAY-fayb) and the infamous Trumpism “Covfefe”? I can see a certain possible similarity in pronunciation.

Inquiring minds want to know.

17. marinedad61 says:

I’ll tell you (all) what got some of us through the Gulf War in 1991.
    One wife at home mailed us 2 VCR tapes full of
    Japanese Female Tag-Team Wrestling.

After 27 years, the wrestling isn’t any better,
    but the wrestlers are way hotter.
    lol
    Enjoy!

18. NHSparky says:

Sergeant Slaughter is a phony, CAUSE STONE COLD SAID SO!

I can’t believe he hasn’t been referenced yet. You guys are slipping.