Ken Desautels – Phony Vietnam SEAL

| June 24, 2019 | 116 Comments

The folks at Military Phony send us their work on Kenneth Alfred Desautels who claims he was a SEAL in Vietnam by the act of wearing a US Navy SEAL insignia on his finest for Memorial Day 2019.  Desautels lives in Leicester, Massachusetts and is 74 years old as of June 2019.

The Telegram.com carried an article on Memorial Day 2019 that featured Desautels.

As you can see from the above photos that were printed with the article – Desautels wears a US Navy SEAL insignia, Petty Officer First Class strips (E-6), two (2) service stripes on the sleeves designating eight (8) years of service, a Purple Heart for combat wounded and a Combat Action Ribbon.

It is important to note that the article does not specifically say “SEAL” or “SEALs” or “UDT” but talks about a “special amphibious unit.”

It’s been about 50 years since Mr. Desautels left the Navy’s special amphibious forces and began to march in the Memorial Day Parade.

Then later…

Mr. Desautels joined the Navy in 1960 not long after graduating from Leicester High School. In 1966, after serving as a Navy electrician, Uncle Sam “volunteered” him to serve in a special amphibious unit.

After intensive training, Mr. Desautels was sent to work as a diver identifying and removing explosives the Vietnamese would place on American vessels coming to port in Qui Nhon, Vietnam.

Mr. Desautels spoke of the mission — given, as he termed it, mainly to “unattached” sailors (he wasn’t married at the time) who were good swimmers — in a no-frills manner.

“It was a job we were trained to do, and that’s what we did,” he said. The young man from Leicester — who became good at swimming at Rochdale Pond near his home — was now trying to find explosives hidden on the hulls of ships 8,500 miles away.

Sometimes, the mines were attached to lines that somebody was looking to pull to prompt explosion, he said, making it important to be as discreet and quick as possible.

Desautels posted on a bulletin board in regard to his military service with IUWG-2 and claims he was an EM3 (E-4) and Diver:

Desautels appeared in previous photos with what appears to be fewer medals.  The following photo appeared in the newspaper in 2011…

Here is a side-by-side comparison…

Keep in mind that Desautels was not on Navy active duty in between these photographs, so he could not have earned more medals, but yet the amount of medals grows in size and prestige.

Desautels’ official military records were ordered through a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request…

DISCUSSION and SUMMARY

Ken Desautels has no record of going to BUD/S and no assignment with a SEAL Team over his career. There is also no listing of a SEAL NEC in his records.

There is no diver qualification listed in his records.

His service with Inshore Undersea Warfare Group TWO (IUWG-2), Little Creek, Virginia may be what he referred to as a special amphibious unit, but that’s not the SEALs.

The summary sheet shows that he got out as a Electrician’s Mate Fireman [EMFN] (E-3) vs. the E-6 that he claims by his rank inginia.

He has six years service but some of that may be Reserve time. He does not show 8 years as would be claimed by two service stripes on his uniform. Perhaps this was in order for the E-6 claim to be less odd?

There is no Purple Heart or Combat Action Ribbon in his official military records.

STOLEN VALOR

If the claims by Kenneth Desautels were used to leverage work, military or civilian promotions, or anything else of value, Desautels may be in violation of Stolen Valor laws. State laws may also apply.

Just to clear up any confusion for the nice people of Leicester, Massachusetts – Ken Desautels was NOT a Navy SEAL.   He was also not an E-6 and was not awarded a Purple Heart.

As they say in the US Navy – Ken Desautels is out of uniform.

Category: Fake SEAL, Phony SEAL, Stolen Valor, Viet Nam, Vietnam

1. Comm Center Rat says:

Yep, he’s a Masshole!

2. Anonymous says:

He’s got “commemorative” medals out the ass in that closer-up shot of his ribbon rack.

Been waiting on this one all night. Headsup from MP on evening past, and left Kenny boi some love over there.

Kenneth Desautels, you ready for your new found Google Fame as a lying embellishing POS? It’s on the way for you. You can add that to your low speed, high drag rocketing all the way to E-3 in just six short years of what could have been honorable service. You wearing your shades in the pics to hide that steely eyed meat gazers stare? Is the difference in metals (sic) in your pics cause you were waiting for the shipments from phonysbeus.com? Maybe you can hire on as Apprentice Towel Fluffer at Brucie’s Bath House? (Entrance in the Rear) Flying J is always on the prowl for dumpster attendants. ESAD mofo!

If higher determines that this lying embellishing not a Navy Seal POS Kenneth Desautels is worth the expenditure of keyboard ribbon ink and bandwidth, I would consider making a motion for the deployment of the TAH Hemisphere of Insults. Or barring that, at the very least the Alphabet Assault.

Not only are you out of uniform, you are now out of luck!…Bitch!

4. HT '83-'87 says:

Speaking of ‘out of uniform’…what the hell is up with his cover? I saw one picture of my Grandfather wearing “Donald Duck” hat circa 1943, but when he married my Grandmother in Jan 1944 he had a white hat. Every picture of him and his brother during WW2 had them wearing white hats. My Uncle was in during VN, and he only wore a white hat as did I during my time. This guy is phony SEAL, phony 1C, and an all around loser.

Buddy of mine enlisted in June, 1964; he says there were no Donald Duck hats issued to him; and some more senior than him who had them from the earlier ’60’s tossed them. My Dad had one from his service in WWII. He said everyone back in his day never wore them because they all thought they looked stupid and/or foreign.

• NHSparky says:

They were “officially” abandoned 1 April 1963, but as previously mentioned, nobody had worn them for quite some time (think WWII).

Ain’t no fake fucker like an old fake fucker.

5. 3/10/MED/b says:

I do not understand the commemorative medal business/ideals/whatever the flying fuck that is all about.

I am tired, I am worn out, and I am the root of all evil.
    And I can’t drive on the left side of the road.

-Nancy Griffith.

3/10/MED/b out

• Jay says:

Guys who don’t have the required 37 pieces of FLAIR and desire to have more to ‘fluff’ the stack (pun intended). After 20 years, I had ENOUGH and everytime a new awards message came out I got pissed because there was another star or unit award I had to add. It got to as where I just gave the hell up after 15 years or so. I had my shit mounted ONE last time right after I retired. That is my end all/be all stack. You can BURY me in that shit.

• Mike says:

The folks at Medals of America will happily sell you a commemorative medal for any and all occasions……as long as the check doesn’t bounce or the credit card still has juice.

• Jay says:

Indeed. Whatever tickles your pickle and plumps up that shadow box. Ive got enough shit from the Secretary of the Navy that I dont need Medals of America to make me feel all “happy shiny” too.

6. Bob Drennan says:

WTF is with the hat?

He went to “A” school and couldn’t get any further than E-3?

What kind of a slacker is this guy?

And what’s with the crackerjack hat, anyway? What did he do, buy that at the women’s hat department at Macy’s?

For This is a joke, right?

8. A Proud Infidel®™️ says:

Cocksucker.

9. Daisy Cutter says:

Can someone speak to the Combat Action Ribbon?

It *could* (note the word “could”) be a case that Mr. Desautels earned the Combat Action Ribbon but it was awarded to people long after Vietnam and the medal never caught up to his official military records.

Wikipedia states that “the Navy Combat Action Ribbon was first authorized on 17 February 1969.”

Then — “The Navy Combat Action Ribbon is retroactive to 7 December 1941.”

But, the unauthorized wearing of the Purple Heart is a slam dunk for Mr. Desautels and clearly shows him to be an embellisher.

10. WTF, the article says that he joined in 1960 after graduating H.S. in 1966. He was most likely born in 1944 or 1945 as I was in 1945. He enlisted in Jan. of 1963 and I enlisted in Oct. of 1963, class 475. He may have graduated in 1962 or Jan of 63 then enlisted right after graduation. When I went through Boot Camp, The WW2 ‘Donald” Ducks were already gone so no more were issued. They were issued just to get rid of them. Story goes that a large amount of Sailors were getting hit by cars at night while wearing their dress blues/flat hats. Anyone other than myself hear the same reason????

11. 3/10/MED/b says:

Ma’am, I am Army.
    Please explain “A” school.

awaiting incoming…

• Ex-PH2 says:

“A” school is the Navy’s basic school for training professional skills to qualified students. The “B” school is the next level up in professional skills. I’m not sure if the Navy still has “C” school levels, which goes into a specific field of specialized training, e.g. the IDC_SARC qualifier may come out of that.

It’s how sailors get advanced in their rate (rank) and rating (MOS). If they don’t qualify for a school, they get sent to Boatswain’s Mate, because the Bosuns and Quaartermasters run the ships.But I think they have to qualify through testing ahead of entry now.

• Commissar says:

Apparently, “undersea warfare groups” were mobile shore/coastal defense units equipped with vehicle mounted radar and sonar equipment that could be used as hasty force protection sensors to detect threats along coasts.

Not exactly SEALs. And when I say “not exactly” I mean “not even close”.

12. OldManchu says:

“Mr. Desautels said he was able to find about half a dozen mines, which he and his fellow divers had to then remove so they could be detonated safely.”

Translation:

• ChipNASA says:

Translation:
      “Mr. D removed about a dozen dingle berries from his squeak hole so his deck mate could dock cleanly and firmly.”

OK I admit it.
      I giggled way to hard over this comment.

• 26Limabeans says:

Half a dozen of one six of the other. Who keeps track?
      If I were removing mines underwater I would know exactly how many, not “about”.

13. Skyjumper says:

From the Memorial day weekend article in the The Telegram:

“Two of the couple’s sons served in combat in the Army (“I keep joking I failed as a father,” the Navy man quips), continuing their family’s service.

Keith Desautels, of New Mexico, saw combat during Operation Desert Shield Desert Storm, while Dean Desautels, of Rutland, was awarded the Bronze Star and saw combat in Afghanistan.”

No, motherfucker you failed as a father because you are a lying, fake, son-of-a-bitch posing as a Navy SEAL and wearing awards such as the Purple Heart, Combat Action Ribbon and others that you never did earn!! I’d love to see your face when your two sons approach you with the truth.

“Town residents can thank the Post 7556 quartermaster and past commander as he marches Monday, in his original Navy issued cap (Nancy calls it his “Donald Duck hat”) and replacement dress blues.

But don’t be surprised when Mr. Desautels directs the attention to those heroes who rest in graves marked with flags across a grateful nation.

“Don’t make it too elaborate,” he told the reporter preparing the story Sunday afternoon. “I’m just a simple guy.”

Yeah, you got that right about being “simple” you lying piece of shit!!

Note: A copy of this TAH article & the one at Military Phony website has been sent to the editor at The Telegram newspaper. Hopefully they will do a follow up story.

Enjoy your fame, Dickhead!!

• Comm Center Rat says:

Excellent work Skyjumper. I hope the Worcester Telegram does a thorough follow-up story exposing Ken Desautels’ medallic fuckery and Stolen Valor violations.

Desautel’s only awards are the three ribbons everyone who ever set foot in the RVN or floated in its waters were awarded. Desuatel’s service in RVN didn’t even quite make the six month line, since he showed up at Little Creek, VA exactly six months after he arrived in Saigon. But then he did serve two months longer in the RVN than “Lurch” Kerry did.

• 26Limabeans says:

“exactly six months after he arrived in Saigon”

His “one” bronze service star on the VSM would be:
          Vietnam Air Ofeensive 29JUN66-8MAR67

but not:
          Phase II 9MAR67-31MAR67

so yeah, he was outta there before 9MAR67

• Bubble Soldier says:

My late brother got out of Navy service with four. Fourth is Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal. His ship was diverted from the Gulf of Tonkin to Korean waters when the Norks downed a USN EC-121.

14. rgr769 says:

What is up with this guy’s age of 74? There is a HS year book photo of him in 1965 posted on MP’s site. If he graduated in 1965 or 1966, he must have been 19 or 20. Maybe they made him repeat the third grade once to twice, since he should have graduated in 1963 or ’62, if he is now 74 or older.

• rgr769; When I went to H.S.In Queens, NYC, we had guys older than 17 whom were known as Super Seniors. I was 17 when I graduated in 1963. These were the guys wearing coveralls whom were known as greasers with their DA Haircuts taking TNT (auto shop) A couple of the “Older” ones whom were taking wood working shop which I was taking were making zip guns on the sly. Saw a cut off car antenna in one of the guys back pocket. I still have a scar just below my thumb from draw filing the end of a screw drive that I made after the furnace tempering. wood handle turned out ok after the lathe turning. How come I always go off on a tangent with these comments???

• A Proud Infidel®™ says:

When I was back in school in uuuhhhm, well, I was working on my Jeep when I had a stray cat run up under it and, what the hell?

Anyway, I still like to drink beer and eat bacon.

15. Little Creek was the home of the Amphibs where would be found LST’S, AKA’S, APA’S, LSD’S and LPD’S. For some reason, the LPH’S were berthed at Norfolk NOB. Fleet Oilers (servlant)were stationed at Crany Island.

16. Mustang Major says:

The shame of living a lie!

17. Claw says:

Suspicion confirmed. Take note of the ribbon rack above the commemorative ribbons, specifically second row up outboard ribbon. Almost as highly sought after as the coveted National Defense Service Medal, it’s the:

Ribbon for a Cold War Victory Medal.

You know you’ve hit the top when you have one of those./smile

Kenneth Alfred Desautels DID serve in the US Navy.
    Kenneth Alfred Desautels WAS NEVER a USN SEAL.
    Kenneth Alfred Desautels has a cigarette hanging out of his mouth in many a pic like he just finished blowing a wino behind a bus stop.
    Kenneth Alfred Desautels was awarded the NDSM.
    Kenneth Alfred Desautels was never qualified as a USN Diver according to records found.
    Kenneth Alfred Desautels looks like he’s about to audition for a part in some musical.
    Kenneth Alfred Desautels looks like the type who would be seen prowling Interstate Highway rest areas in a windowless van seeking a date.
    Kenneth Alfred Desautels DID NOT leave the US Navy as an E6 like he claims.
    Kenneth Alfred Desautels served about 6 years in the USN according to his DD214.
    Kenneth Alfred Desautels appears to be a Popeye the Sailor wannabe.
    Kenneth Alfred Desautels is frequently pictured smoking a cigarette, likely a high class brand like either generic or 305’s.
    Kenneth Alfred Desautels has a “Fruit Salad” that magically blossomed over the years after he ETS’ed from the US Navy.
    Kenneth Alfred Desautels looks like he couldn’t even buff a floor without setting off a Fire Alarm (Seen that happen while on AD and the Offender was well…)
    Kenneth Alfred Desautels heavily suffers from delusions of grandeur.
    Kenneth Alfred Desautels looks like someone I wouldn’t even hire to wash dishes and mop floors.
    Kenneth Alfred Desautels has less class than a public school on Sunday.
    Kenneth Alfred Desautels looks like he gnawed on many a lead paint chip.
    Kenneth Alfred Desautels looks to me like he must have been some desperate USN Recruiter’s last minute quota.
    Kenneth Alfred Desautels was awarded the Vietnam Campaign Medal.
    Kenneth Alfred Desautels SHOULD NOT be left alone among Women and/or Children in some peoples’ opinion.
    Kenneth Alfred Desautels stores his cigarettes in his sock while in his costume, oops, uniform.
    Kenneth Alfred Desautels looks like yet another reject Apprentice Towel Boy at Brucie’s Bath House (Entrance in Rear).

Kenneth Alfred Desautels will NOW wallow in the Power of Google®™ while Kenneth Alfred Desautels realizes that THE INTERNET IS FOREVER.

How copy, please relay, Commo Check,
    ((((OVER))))

Roger, I read back:
      Kenneth Alfred Desautels DID serve in the US Navy.
      Kenneth Alfred Desautels WAS NEVER a USN SEAL.
      Kenneth Alfred Desautels was awarded the NDSM.
      Kenneth Alfred Desautels DID NOT leave the US Navy as an E6 like he claims.
      Kenneth Alfred Desautels appears to be a Popeye the Sailor wannabe.
      Kenneth Alfred Desautels heavily suffers from delusions of grandeur.
      Kenneth Alfred Desautels has less class than a public school on Sunday.
      Kenneth Alfred Desautels looks like he gnawed on many a lead paint chip.
      Kenneth Alfred Desautels was awarded the Vietnam Campaign Medal.

How copy, please relay, Commo Check,
      ((((OVER))))

• 26Limabeans says:

“Kenneth Alfred Desautels looks like he’s about to audition for a part in some musical”

Nailed it!

• Walter says:

Too bad, I am proud of my time as a fleet sailor I would not change a thing.

19. Wilted Willy says:

What a maroon! Sad sack of shit!
    ESAD poser!

20. Former EM1/SS says:

Am I allowed to be particularly pissed that he is dressed as an EM1?

If it weren’t for the lack of dolphins, (and maybe some of the extra bling) I could be looking in a mirror.

Not!

21. Keepin' It Real says:

He’s got a Billy Bob Thorton look happening.

“I was thinkin’ I could use me another 6 or 8 cans o’ that potted meat if you got any X-tree.”

22. Jez, two silvers and a bronze on his VCM? That’s 21 campaigns. He would have to been in country there from 68-73. I managed a Silver and a bronze from 70-72 then the AF took one away from us in the DoD “consolidation”.