Waffle House temporarily closes 365 restaurants

| March 26, 2020

Over 350 Waffle House restaurants have closed throughout the Southeast as officials work to reduce the spread of the deadly coronavirus.

In a Tweet Tuesday, the Atlanta-based chain said that it has temporarily closed 365 restaurants throughout United States.

Waffle House

?@WaffleHouse

: 365 Waffle House restaurants closed. 1,627 open.

View image on Twitter

Them little red dots better stay the hell away from me.

Source: Waffle House temporarily closes 365 restaurants amid coronavirus pandemic | FOX 5 Atlanta

Category: Breaking News, Congress sucks, Crime, Democrats, Dick Stepping, Dumbass Bullshit, Exploitation, General Whackos, Gun Grabbing Fascists, I hate hippies, Liberals suck, Shitbags, SJW Idiocy, Who knows, WTF?, YGBSM!!

1. Hack Stone says:

Has anyone thought of the impact of closing all of these Waffle Houses will have on World Star Hip Hop? How the hell are they supposed to get videos of people acting like idiots at 3:00 AM?

• Green Thumb says:

I know it will have an impact on my drinking and hangovers.

This sucks.

The “House” has always been there, through thick and thin.

Holidays, divorces, band breakups and new flavors, bachelor parties, hangovers (alcohol and chemically induced), hurricanes, mothers-in-law,blizzards, tornadoes, political upheaval, after Sunday church excursions, you name it.

A sad day, indeed.

They are not waffling in their decision to close.

3. Ret_25X says:

OMG…someone opened the 3rd seal! Hide the jewels! Horde toilet paper! Put the kids in MOPP4!

I wasn’t sure this was serious until Waffle House started closing locations…

LSHDMTAMSFO!

(Laughed So Hard Dropped My Taco and My Sombrero Fell Off)

4. 2banana says:

What will drunk folks do at 3 am on Sunday morning?

The humanity!!!!

• timactual says:

Krystal! Another traditional early A.M. Southron fine dining chain. Good chili, too.

Ah, memories.

Krystal was hurting before all this wasn’t it timactual? Operating under Bankruptcy Protection right now. One big problem they had, in my AO, was piss poor food and even worse service. Out of about 15 locations here abouts, there was only ONE that was consistently fit to eat at, and that was usually at breakfast. Had a little, older, 100 pound dripping wet Black Lady that ran a tight ship. Usually grabbed bfast there at least 2/3 times a week while working. Most of the rest depended on either the off the highway tourist trade or people that didn’t know any better.

In my decades as a road warrior Waffle House was my standard go to when I couldn’t find the local Mom & Pop cafe or it was 0God30 middle of BFE Where ever. It didn’t hurt that I had known the founders and would unashamedly drop that info whenever I went into a previously unvisited location. Tom Fortner was an Army MI Officer with the Manhattan Project and Joe Rogers was a B24 Pilot. Both were old school Southron Gentlemen that believed in treating people right…with good food…fast. Way back yonder when they still had more day to day control of the Company, they would push their managers/franchisees to take care of Veterans.

• The Stranger says:

Krystal sucks ass. White Castle all the way! Never cared for Awful House; more of a Cracker Barrel kinda guy. Besides the food, I could always pick up a couple boxes of Moon Pies, various types of candy, and a couple bottles of Cheer Wine!

You right Pappy. Not as many White Castles down here, Krystals, for the most part, went to crap years ago, and when WH started all the franchising, they went to crap. Cracker Barrel and Chic-Fil-Let are about the only chain food service places that you have a consistently good product at most locations. Many times I built my call schedule around the local’s cafe/diner and what may be the menu items for a particular day of the week. I am a food service snob, FIRST thing I do when I go in one is check the health report.

• The Stranger says:

Yeah, local places are usually the way to go. Got a newer place by the house that has something called a “Farmhouse Frittata” that has green pepper, onion, hash browns, and sausage mixed in with the eggs. Topped off with cheddar cheese and sausage gravy. Comes with a side of bacon, too. Damn thing is the size of a manhole cover!

• Commissioner Wretched says:

Krystal wants to be White Castle when it grows up.

• timactual says:

Sorry to hear that Krystal has fallen on hard times. Have not been to one in decades, since I moved north. Haven’t seen much up here in the tradition of fine southron dining. Then again, my habits have changed since the wife has helped me see the error of my ways.

5. Comm Center Rat says:

“Well, butter my butt and call me a biscuit.”
    ~ Joe Bob

6. Hondo says:

My guess is that Waffle House looked at past sales figures and simply closed the stores that they projected couldn’t be operated profitably under “takeout only” conditions. But I could be wrong.

• Fyrfighter says:

Wait a minute Hondo, are you suggesting that an evil corporation would make decisions based on logic, facts, and good business practices?? (as opposed to govt, and the screaming snowflakes who are proclaiming the end of the world, UNLESS we increase fuel standards for planes, fund the murder of babies … err, planned parenthood, etc???)

• timactual says:

I do not recommend investing in coffee at this time. With the closure of Waffle House coffee consumption will drop catastrophically (I still believe that what they served me had enough actual coffee in it to matter).

YOU KNOW the shit’s gone really bad when Waffle House starts closing their franchises down!

8. OWB says:

Since there isn’t one near me anyway, all I can say is, “Hah!” But I do understand. It was always a favorite stop when wandering about farther years past.

9. SFC D says:

The devil whispered in my ear: “You cannot handle the storm”. I replied; “6 FEET BACK, MOTHERFUCKER!”

This could real cereal, ‘specially for the 0300 hrs rush. Oh..wait…most of the bars are closed so there isn’t going to be too many drunks out and about. Many counties here has followed the benevolent (we who know what is best) State’s lead on a curfew 2200 hrs til 0600 hrs. Couldn’t tell from the map, but if they closed “The House” in May’rhetta, just up the street from the Big Chicken, how dahell people gonna be able to give directions? Or know where to turn left? Or have a rendevouz place? “Meet me a the Waffle House just past the Big Chicken.” What about the new mobile Waffle Houses they have now, you know the ones that will cater your wedding reception? Will they close those too? Give me scrambled eggs cheese plate, hash browns scattered, covered, smother, diced, and chunked or give me death.

Was at the one semi locally 2 weeks ago on Sunday when this FIRST started. It was immaculate, as usual; frosty cold, as usual, food was good, as usual; and they had already started with the deep clean, sanitize between guests at each booth. I ordered the All Star with the country ham, scrambled with cheese, hash browns scattered and covered. My Lady Friend wanted the Pecan Waffle that comes with that. We both had the House wine…Sweet Iced Tea…y’all.

11. Skyjumper says:

Waffle House closed? Pffffttt.

Now if I cant get my “Moons Over My Hammy” from Denney’s, scheiße is gonna get real, real fast. (grin)

• Hondo says:

Don’t plan on eating it there. In most locations Denny’s – along with every other restaurant – are now operating “take-out only”.

12. Civilwarrior says:

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

13. Ate in a waffle House only 1 time in 2010 when I drove up to Tenn. for the 2010 USS IWO Jima Class ship reunion. I didn’t even eat any waffles but ate something else on the menu. I can get waffled any time in any Gin Mill.

• Mick says:

Jeff: I spent some time aboard USS IWO JIMA (LPH-2) when I was a Forward Air Controller in an infantry company on a MEU(SOC) deployment to the Med.

• Mick; The USS Okinawa LPH 3 was one of the IWO JIMA class ships, hence the IWO class ship assn. which had the other LPH’s as members. My Cousin was aboard the IWO as one of the Atomic bomb civilian observers after the ship was commissioned. during the summer months while off from school, he worked for Hydrogen bomb Teller. A graduate of Yale and he was what we called an egg head back in the 1950’s

14. Eggs says:

I hope Tin Cup and his gang can manage this blow.

15. David says:

Since they reduced their menu, they just have not been the same… still, over 350 locations means over 700 waitresses with maybe 2800 teeth are out of work.

16. SFC D says:

I don’t think I’ve ever been to a Waffle House during daylight hours. Or sober.

• timactual says:

I thought they are closed during the day, aren’t they? You know, avoiding sunlight and the foul day air like all us creatures of the night?

17. The Other Whitey says:

My next-door neighbor owns an event venue business and has had to lay off nearly all of his employees, albeit with the promise of bringing them back once they’re able to do business again. He’s a good guy and feels terrible about it, but the alternative is going out of business.

18. Toxic Deplorable Racist SAH B Woodman says:

I’ll have to look and see if I have a Waffle House near me (SLC, UT). Nope. The closest ones are in CO, AZ & NM. (I’ll have to keep the Phx AZ one in mind, will be visiting there this summer)

• The Other Whitey says:

Phoenix in summer? No thanks.

• Hondo says:

“But it’s a dry heat . . . ” (smile)

• The Other Whitey says:

Every time I’ve been to Phoenix, I can’t understand why it’s a major city. Arizona is cool, but Phoenix, where Satan himself would come down with heat exhaustion and/or rabdo, is unfit for human habitation. I could see it being a truck stop, but not a city.

• timactual says:

But it’s a dry heat.

(Like my oven).

• Toxic Deplorable Racist SAH B Woodman says:

Gotta go visit my dear sweet sainted mother for her 90th b-day (and she doesn’t know it yet).

19. Claw says:

365 closed? Old news. As of two hours ago, the closed count is now up to 429.

20. Cameron says:

My family and I ate at an “Awful” House (as my mom and dad used to call it) once. Never again according to them. However, I can’t remember it very well because I was young. I do believe my mom and dad (or at least my dad) might have eaten there a few other times in the past.

21. timactual says:

I love the smell of Waffle House in the (early) morning—it smells like grease, syrup, waffles, and coffee. No tobacco anymore, though.

• Anonymous says:

There’re two across an intersection from each other outside Fort Bragg (near an actual USAA branch and a Superwalmart that closes from 0000 to 0600 seven days a week due to riff-raff).

• The Stranger says:

I’m pretty sure I saw a YouTube video of a phony Green Beret who got busted panhandling at that Walmart.

22. Wireman611 says:

Y’all know that FEMA included Waffle House in it’s disaster indexes. Earth quake, hurricane, tornado, etc, the type of menu that they were able to serve was based on the level of the disaster’s severity. Closing was a kind of EOTWAWKI thing.

23. Anonymous says:

Damn, now it is a crisis!