Thursdays Are For Cooking!

| January 23, 2020 | 17 Comments

This is AW1Ed’s personal recipe for Quiche Julia Childs, which he got from the Late Great Julia Childs,  who (in case you were not around during WWII) acted as a spy for the US government during World War II.  There’s a video at the end, too.

Making a double batch, one for tonight and one for the freezer. I like the trick of adding the eggs to the measuring cup, and and then
pouring in the dairy to the desired mark- no guessing! I also cheat and get store bought pastry shells and blind bake (375 degrees for 10
minutes) them when thawed.

Quiche Julia Childs

Servings 4-6 Units US

·        3 eggs (or 2 eggs and 2 egg yolks)

·        1 and 1/2 cup whipping cream, half and half or milk

·        1/2 teaspoon salt

·        1 pinch pepper

·        1 pinch nutmeg

·        1/2-1 cup grated swiss cheese

·        1 -2 tablespoons butter, cut into pea-sized dots

·        8 inches pastry shells, partly cooked

(He also adds sliced ham.)

Directions:

1.     To partly bake the pastry shell:.

2.     Bake in middle of oven at 400 degrees F. for 8-9 minutes.

3.     For filling:.

4.     Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place oven rack in upper third of oven.

5.     Beat eggs.

6.     Add enough cream (or milk or cream-milk combination) so that
eggs and cream measure 1 1/2 cups total.

7.     Add salt, nutmeg and pepper; mix through.

8.     Stir in cheese. Check seasoning.

9.     Pour into pastry shell and distribute butter pieces on top.
Place on baking sheet.

10. Bake 25-30 minutes or til puffed and browned.

11. Slide quiche onto a hot platter and serve.

The following video is Miss Julia’s demonstration on how to cut up a whole chicken.  Save the liver!!!!

Category: Economy

Too late to save that liver. It’s already pickled. Damn shame that it has been 40+ years since SNL was funny.

Tanks Mateys. Baby girl has made this a time or 12. She uses bacon and a cheese blend. It’s right tasty.

2. ninja says:

AW1Ed,

What?

A pinch of pepper?

No pinch of salt?

I’m devastated!

*grin*

Thank you for sharing, Ex-PH2 (Navy) and AW1Ed (Navy), for sharing.

Once in a while, the ninja Family (Army) will make Sausage and Sharp Cheddar Cheese Quiche to enjoy for Breakfast or even Dinner.

If I remember, a Military Quiche was a CRat called Green Eggs and Ham.

Right, Claw? *smile*

Yum, Yum.

• AW1Ed says:

Now ninja, I’m usually pretty free form when it comes to seasoning; when asked my answer is normally “enough.”

But I’m not messing with a cooking Goddess like Julia’s recipes!

Nice pan of cat food you have there…
      *grin*

My seasonings measures is usually sprinkling them on until the Spirits of my Ancestors whisper “That’s enough child.”

And, btw Bro, no self respecting cat in the world would make a meal out of either the ham n eggs or the ham and “muthers!”

• ninja says:

Ed, KoB and Jeff:

I still can’t believe the Dude in the Video actually nibble on some of the items in that C-Rat.

The pears look so appetizing. 😉

Had forgotten until now that majority of those items were made in New Jersey.

Actually, I DID enjoy eating the Green Eggs & Ham during one Training event. I was hungry. And when one is hungry, almost anything tastes good. Almost. 😉😎

Survived on the beanie weenies, p-nut butter oil on crackers, mystery meat w taters, fruit over pound cake, and the cigs. Until I get in tight with Supply Daddy SSG Y, was stuck with choking down whatever was the luck of the draw. And this coming from a kid that grew up eating whatever we had.

War story alert, TINS. There I was, doing a show on Civil War Cooking for/with Andrew Zimmern of Bizarre Foods. He had an original hard tack that a lady’s grandpappy had brought back from the War, documented 1865 vintage. It tasted just like the ones we made the day before. Get a chance do the Google Foo thing, that video is out there, either thru youtube, or the Travel Channel, Bizarre Food Network. We started out with only scheduled 4-6 minutes of air time and ended up with 27 minutes. Had a large time.

• ninja says:

KoB:

You were in the Bizarre Food Episode about the Civil War?

WOW!!!

First, rgr769 doing Re-Enactments of the Battle of Gettsyburg (and I think he was in the movie as well!) and now YOU!

I remember that Episode!

Folks, we have among us another Celeb!!

Here is the video. Wonder which one of Bobby Lee’s Boys is our KoB?

Prolly served on many a field of Honor that rgr769 was on. Been an Oscar winning Motion Picture Star, International World Famous Magazine Model, AND a local media celebrity on many occasions. We’ll just say that Andrew and I had a nice chat around the fire. We did another segment for an Australian TV Crew a few months after Andrew’s shoot. Never saw that one. Not even sure it was ever broadcast. The production manager gifted me with a church key/bottle opener whose handle was made from a kangaroo “pouch.”

3. Remember Ham & Lima Beans C Rats? We ate C’s when I was active Navy and while in the National Guard 75-77. We also ate horse meat burgers while at sea when stores were low. When the OKIE 3 was in the Philly Yards, I watched Yard Birds grilling a cumshored can of 1940’s Spam on a piece of an I beam after burning/cleaning off the surface with an oxi acetelene torch. 5 Lb cans off coffee were great for cumshoring parts and bypassing the paperwork process.

4. Club Manager, USA ret. says:

Wasn’t the line,”Quiche me you fool, from an old movie?