Weekend Open Thread

| November 15, 2019 | 138 Comments

Lupine pink flowers, summer landscape. (Wallpapers13.com)

October for the temperate region in the southern hemisphere is like April for the temperate region in the northern hemisphere. As our trees transition from colorful foliage to just branches in the north, their counterparts in the southern hemisphere are progressing towards their summer foliage. Enjoy your weekend.

Category: Open thread

• Hack Stone says:

D’oh! Missed it by “that much”. Hack would have been first, but he was on a call with Jared Stern getting an update on locating Elaine Ricci. He said that he had a solid lead that he heard from someone who knew a guy that dated a girl who may have seen her boarding Jeffrey Eptsein’s airplane to the Elko POW Awareness Chili Cookoff.

• Commissioner Wretched says:

Once again my man FA has claimed his rightful first! Congrats!

• Wilted Willy says:

Congrats FA, You are once again the King of us lowly minions for another week? Just tell me where to show up for the free food and drink?? I really need a drink after the week I have had! I have had every orifice of my body violated this week, and all of it was bad news!! I won’t go into details here, perhaps another time? Have a great weekend all of my fellow dickweeds and weedettes!!
      Willy
      Out

• Graybeard says:

Congrats yet again, 5th/77th FA

Is this the 7th or 8th F5 key you’ve worn out?

Dang it!
    I got distracted by a talking rectum known as Senator Blumenthal.
    Have a GREAT weekend yall!

FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BAM BAM BAM FIRE MISSION FIRE MISSION FIRE MISSION!!!! ALL FOR YOU BROTHER WILTED WILLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The King of Battle Strikes again.

Cold Beer, Hot Wings and Beans with Bacon and Sausages all around!

SUFFER!!!!!!!!D’ Weeds!!!!!!! Go Dawgs RTR GO ARMY BEAT NAVY 😆 😆 😆

3. ChipNASA says:

Some-Bitch, is that 2 or 3 or 4?

Don’t make me come back here next Friday!!!!!

4. Commissioner Wretched says:

Got distracted by a burning smell in the office and missed out on First … turns out our central heat unit was burning off dust. Ah, well. In exchange for missing out on the coveted First, here’s this week’s trivia column – a poor substitute, I grant you, but all I can offer.

DID YOU KNOW…?
    Who is credited with inventing the modern department store?
    By Commissioner Wretched

Time for another of my famous mea culpas, this one concerning last week’s headline question item regarding life insurance for the Apollo 11 astronauts.

My many military friends immediately took me to task for saying the crew had no life insurance. All three of them did indeed have life insurance – Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins, as active-duty Air Force officers, had Servicemen’s Group Life Insurance, or SGLI, and civilian Neil Armstrong had Federal Employees Group Life Insurance, or FEGLI, as an employee of NASA.

What the astronauts could not afford, however, was additional life insurance, and my item should have been stated that way.

Also, unknown to the crew, a life insurance policy was issued on the three astronauts for the trip by Travelers, Inc., paid for by two Houston-based businesses.

The article should have said that the men could not afford private life insurance policies, because their job carried a very high risk of death. The cost was … astronomical.

Many thanks to my military friends who keep me on the straight and narrow! Here’s hoping I have this week’s trivia right …

Did you know …

… only one-third of all Americans say they’d like to have their boss’ job? (While about 95% of them would love to have their boss’ paycheck, I’m sure.)

… it is illegal in Illinois to fish while sitting on the neck of a giraffe? (It’s perfectly okay to fish while sitting on the giraffe’s back, though.)

… during the time she portrayed “Hannah Montana” on the television series of the same name, actress Miley Cyrus (born 1992) wore braces? You couldn’t see them, though, because they were glued to the backs of her teeth. (Cinematic magic at its finest!)

… Brigham Young invented the department store? Young (1801-1877), second president of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, founded Zion’s Cooperative Mercantile Institution, or ZCMI, in Salt Lake City, Utah, in 1868. His idea was to have various Mormon businesses gather together under one roof – a “department” store. The store existed under its original LDS ownership until December of 1999, when it was sold to the May Department Store company, now Macy’s. The name of the store was changed, after 135 years, to Meier & Frank in 2003, then to Dillard’s in 2005, and to its current name – Macy’s – in 2006.

… UFOs are not a modern phenomenon? One can find references to Unidentified Flying Objects as far back as the Bible (the story of Ezekiel’s Wheel in Ezekiel 1:16). Things traversing the sky that onlookers can’t identify – the actual meaning of an unidentified flying object – have been recorded for centuries, long before airplanes or even balloons. During World War II, Allied fighter pilots frequently observed moving balls of light in the sky while on combat missions over Europe. Dubbed “foo fighters,” the UFOs are now thought to have been instances of ball lightning. (All UFOs are not “flying saucers,” but all flying saucers are UFOs. No, I don’t know what that means, either.)

… bank robber extraordinaire John Dillinger (1903-1934) once played professional baseball? He was scouted in 1924, following his dishonorable discharge from the Navy, and played part of the season with the Martinsville, Indiana, Athletics – a team that won its league championship that year. Later, after beginning his criminal career, Dillinger would be the star of the prison baseball teams while he was incarcerated. (He’s the guy who gave “stolen bases” a whole new meaning.)

… teachers in North Korea were once required to be able to play the accordion? In the 1990s, for some mysterious reason, teachers had to prove an ability to play the accordion to get a job. The country has a cultural fondness for the instrument, calling it the “people’s instrument.” That is because its convenient size makes it the right music maker to take along on marches. (Picture, if you will, an entire nation being led in their schools by Lawrence Welk.)

… the planet Neptune’s existence was predicted before it was discovered? After the discovery of Uranus in 1781, astronomers noted strange perturbations in its orbit, variations that could only be explained by the gravitational pull of another, more distant planet. On September 23, 1846, astronomers Urbain Le Verrier (1811-1877), Johann Gottfried Galle (1812-1910), and John Couch Adams (1819-1892) all found the planet causing the changes in Uranus’ orbit by direct observation, finding it by looking exactly where their math said it should be. The deep blue globe was named Neptune after the Roman god of the sea. (And to you kids who say you’ll never use the math they make you learn in school – so there!)

… paper bags are actually worse for the environment than plastic bags? Paper bag production emits more than 70 percent more pollution that the production of plastic bags. Paper bags also require four times as much energy to produce, and they take more time to decompose than plastic bags do.

… Queen Elizabeth II is a trained auto mechanic? Her Majesty (born 1926) learned how to work on automobile engines during World War II as a member of the Auxiliary Territorial Service.

… someone once tried to sell New Zealand on eBay? A man from Brisbane, Australia, listed the country on the online auction site in 2006. He described it as possessing “the dodgiest American Cup win ever” and having “very ordinary weather.” By the time eBay pulled the listing, the bidding for the nation had hit $3,000. (Only three grand?)

Now … you know!

5. SFC D says:

Present!

Epstein didn’t kill hisself!

6. Aysel says:

12ish?

and Epstein didn’t kill himself

7. Commissar says:

Trump advisor Roger Stone guilty on all counts. Including witness tampering, obstructing justice, and lying to Congress.

Michael Cohen, Michael Flynn, Paul Manafort, Rick Gates, George Papadopoulos…

Eventually, Rudy Giuliani (he will flip on Trump but still receive jail time), and Gary Sondland (he will flip on Trump to avoid jail time).

8. Fjardeson says:

Teens?
    And Epstein didn’t kill himself.

Of course not, he was a victim of Arkancide. But it is a lot like suicide, or so we have been told.

• A Proud Infidel®™ says:

Some years ago the Wall Street Journal published a series of articles called “The Whitewater Flu” talking about how 140+ people who had something to do with Whitewater ended up dead in “accidents” IMHO the Clintons have been having people killed for decades and have a place in hell awaiting their arrivals.

9. Sapper3307 says:

First and foremost.
    Lawn mower and Ducati all tucked away and snow blower up and running.

Top twenty and Honorary First once again.

And Epstein didn’t kill himself.

((((OVER))))

11. Graybeard says:

Forgot all about WOT – was taking a nap.
    One of the benefits of being retired, I suppose.

And Epstein didn’t kill himself.

Enjoy your weekends.

Here’s a good video on Stolen Valor with multiple clips of the Late great Jonn Lilyea:

• A Proud Infidel®™ says:

I forgot to mention that it features The Hair®™ as well!

• Wilted Willy says:

API, I wish I could get these guys to check out my pos brother??? Why is he still free and walking among us?? His worthless ass should be in prison!!

• Wilted Willy says:

What a great video! Every stolen valor asshole should be forced to watch this! I wish these assholes could all be put in prison!!!

• ChipNASA says:

Average NCO did this and FUCK YOU FOR POSTING IT!!!!!!
      I saw Jonn and teared up at work. I almost had to leave my cubeville because I was this close(>﹏<)to crying out loud.
      I miss Jonn.
      🙁

^word^ Took me 3 attempts to get all the way thru the video. Couldn’t blame the eye leakage on dust (new air filters) or pollen (too much rain of late).

Went outside with a healthy shot of Crown and a large seegar. Caught hell from Baby Sister and a Lady Friend for the seegar till I ‘splained it to them.

RIP SFC Jonn Lilyea. You are still sorely missed.

13. The Other Whitey says:

Went and saw “Midway.” Overall, I kinda liked it. It was way better than “Pearl Harbor” in both quality and historical accuracy, but that’s not saying much in and of itself. Was it a masterpiece? No. Could it have been done better? Yes. Was it historically accurate? Not perfectly, but significantly more than I thought it would be.

Cons:
    – Woody Harrelson as Nimitz. He’s…okay, if you ignore Harrelson being a goddamn hippy (and I loved “Zombieland” in spite of that). Henry Fonda was better. I’m sure they could’ve got somebody better.
    – CGI planes occasionally maneuver without control surfaces moving. This was kind of hit-or-miss, as some scenes had rudders and ailerons moving correctly, others didn’t.
    – Several things skipped and/or glossed over. The focus is on Enterprise’s air group, so the B-17 attack isn’t skipped, VT-8 gets less than a minute of screen time focused on George Gay (who is not identified, but if you know history you’ll know it’s him), Yorktown is seen on fire in the distance and said to be sinking, the actual loss of Yorktown and Hamman is not shown. They tried to fit six hours worth of stuff into two and a half.
    – Lexington is shown on fire and sinking…and is apparently a Yorktown-class. Given the quality of the other CGI models and the research that went into them…dude, seriously?
    – Related to the above, all of the battleships at Pearl are Pennsylvania-class, despite them taking the time to have USS Vestal’s movie screen visible on deck (Vestal was moored alongside Arizona and still had the canvas screen rigged from the Saturday night movie).
    – Jap planes at Pearl launch torpedoes parallel to the battleships for some reason.
    – Dick Best’s final bomb run on Hiryu gets cheesed to hell and gone.

Pros
    – Less cheesy than I expected.
    – Dennis Quaid as Bull Halsey
    – Aforementioned errors notwithstanding, the CGI folks did some really great work. Yorktown-class carriers look amazing, New Orleans-class cruisers and Benson-class destroyers as escorts. SBDs and TBDs have correct Air Group markings for Enterprise. Even the B-26 Marauders finally get some love.
    – Dick Best’s story is central to the plot.
    – Doolittle Raid is presented reasonably well for just a few scenes.
    – The B-26s at Midway are depicted, though they are shown doing what the B-17s did (this bugged the shit out of me), instead of their actual attack, which would definitely have made for a more exciting scene, so no idea why they didn’t just show the actual event.
    – USS Nautilus’s attack is depicted, and shows why a single destroyer was out of position and inadvertently led McClusky’s formation to the carriers.
    – They really did try to provide the necessary context for everything leading up to the battle, and without any “hate America” crap. Unfortunately, to do it right would have at least doubled the runtime of the movie, but it’s nice to see they tried.
    – Layton is the main face of the intelligence effort, but Rochefort is still presented favorably.

There’s things wrong with it, but overall it was more good than bad.

• Perry Gaskill says:

Thanks for the review.

Harrelson doesn’t bother me. Actors are, after all, people whose career is based on pretending to be somebody else. If memory serves, the last two films I’ve seen with Harrelson was the 2014 True Detective mini series also with Matthew McConaughey, and Harrelson did a fairly good job in the more recent Highwaymen playing sidekick to Kevin Costner in the story about Texas Ranger Frank Hamer hunting down Bonnie and Clyde.

If you’re into motorsports at all, there are a couple of interesting recent releases. One is the Ron Howard directed 2013 film Rush about the Formula 1 rivalry between Niki Lauda and James Hunt. Another one just released is Ford vs. Ferrari about the race at Le Mans in 1966. It’s apparently getting good reviews despite the weird casting of Matt Damon as Carrol Shelby.

• Thunderstixx says:

I bet Harrelson came cheap too.
        He’s no rocket scientist but and although I personally can’t stand him, I’ll go see the movie this weekend.
        Anything without the sniveling “Fighter Pilot” that wrecked the entire movie that otherwise was a total masterpiece…

Lupines. They show up here in pink and purple
    around late June thus signaling the end of Summer.

15. 30th. How many of those hollyweird Midway actors are the ones who were supposed to move to canada back in 2016 and also hate this country. Like I commented in the past, I can not separate these shit bird’s being great actors from their socialist mentality. Let me know if their were any conservative actors in the flick and I will eat crow. Have a great rain free weekend not like in the gun shine state of Florida.
    P.S. How about we also have a LAST commenter on the site.

16. marinedad61 says:

EARL LITTMAN (Phony WWII SEAL), now 92 years old, just won’t go away.

November 4, 2019 – Love They Neighbor
    4 months ago – Chat With GrandPa
    2018 – Selling another book, with Trump FX. Ugh.
    Why is someone enabling this senile old turd?

I could post a YouTube video link, but instead,
    here is a YouTube search link, to a LIST.

I finally got myself a bumper sticker I truly like, it says “If you object to logging, try using plastic toilet paper”!

18. The Other Whitey says:

The “Red Dawn” diorama scene is progressing since I’ve had a few days off. The M60 is almost completely assembled. Still finalizing how to mount the .50-cal. The halftrack is uparmored against RPGs and waiting on its .50-cal and TOW launcher.

Both vehicles are painted up in “Winter Verdant” MERDC camo—or at least the closest approximation thereof that my dogshit airbrush skills could manage. Both also have old-school white stars, because why not (it’s alternate history after all). And both undercarriages are filthy with powder pigment that sort of roughly approximates the dirt color for the parts of New Mexico I’ve visited.

I’ve started assembling figures for the tank crew, militia infantry, and a couple of Russian prisoners. Painting the faces will be the biggest challenge. I suck at faces.

• 11B-Mailclerk says:

Winter scene? Scarves and masks for the cold. Minimum face details.

• The Other Whitey says:

More of a “mid-spring, haven’t repainted the camo yet” scene. The militia infantry are all Vietnam War figures, so they’re dressed rather light. I lack the skill to modify them into winter gear, so I’m going with that.

As for the M60, I took inspiration from photos of M48s in Vietnam whose crews welded an M2 .50 in a regular mount to replace the cupola’s M85.

• 11B-Mailclerk says:

Nice.

Drivers and TCs often wear goggles, and bandanas as masks due to road dust.

Nice touch with the “hillbilly” mods.

Living out of a fighting vehicle, the exterior gets used to haul all sorts of loose odds and ends. (Packs, boxes of rations, track sections, wire coils, camo net bundles, “pioneer tools” , water cans, rope coils, etc.

Smoke-stain from the diesel exhaust.

Don’t forget kill rings on the tube, and maybe some amusing art work.

And pictures! We want pictures!

• The Other Whitey says:

So far, the halftrack has tool/equipment bundles on both front fenders. Also have some additional equipment packs, tarp rolls, and troops’ gear to hang on the sides that I haven’t glued down yet. There’s also a cooler for drinking water, some extra jerrycans and ammo cans, cardboard boxes, and a cassette-tape boombox (can’t be 1986 without the ghetto blaster) for the rear racks. Additionally, I opened one of the underseat compartments, so I have to fill that up with random crap, and decide where the spare TOW rounds should go. I’m waiting on a set of similar stuff for the tank.

For additional mods to have the halftrack be a DIY tank destroyer, it has a VRC-47 radio mounted behind the driver’s seat, and the TOW launcher is put together from the infantry tripod version. What I was going for is that the militia guys got issued a hand-me-down tripod launcher, decided “fuck humping this damn thing thing around,” and ghetto-rigged it and its fire control box into the vehicle instead. Not sure how legit that is, but it’s what I went with.

I’ll try to remember to submit pics for next week’s WOT.

• Hack Stone says:

If the Comm system needs some attention, Hack Stone can dig out the RT-246 and Rt-524 schematics from his 2841/2861 days, but that gear better have been PM’ed first, or it is no dice.

• The Other Whitey says:

I will try to remember to submit pics for the next WOT. If the TAH TPTB put them up, you are welcome to tell me whether my halftrack is at least somewhat plausible, or if I’m completely full of shit.

• The Other Whitey says:

Also going to have some pizza boxes, for “locally-sourced supplies.”

• ArmyATC says:

What scale is your diorama?

19. LC says:

This is an older video, but I saw it today – figured any bubbleheads here would appreciate it. It’s Pauline Hanson, a daft Aussie politician, asking very confused questions of (AUS) RADM Sammut about their submarine program. I have the video starting a bit into the video at the ‘pump jet’ question in the title, but the whole thing is an exercise in amazing restraint and patience by the Admiral:

20. I just checked out my online Marine Corps Times and the Marines are looking to do coed basic training which means LOWERING THE TRAINING STANDARDS. But of course they will manufacture another name meaning the same thing.

• ninja says:

“Army basic training went coed from 1978 to 1982 before returning to segregated status then going fully integrated in 1994.”

“Navy boot camp began coed training in 1992. The Air Force had coed initial training starting in the mid-1980s. The Coast Guard has been coed since 1973.

Both Marine Corps Officer Candidate School and The Basic School have been coed for decades.

The Naval Academy has been coed since 1976.

So even in Marine Corps Basic, like Army Basic, a male can have an FBW (field body warmer). Oh, whata world, whata world!

21. marinedad61 says:

This should be riveting to watch, on MONDAY, November 18.
    A Phony ADMIRAL being outed on a large network TV station,
    FOX 5 in Atlanta, Georgia.

This is the investigative reporter’s tease video.

22. Green Thumb says:

In the Land of the Losers, Phildo is King.

23. Fyrfighter says:

Ok Hack, reminding me of those damn brillo pads masquerading as food gave me the ptsd!.. Even Tabasco couldn’t make them edible. That was in 88

24. Nucsnipe says:

Have to get a new Fonda sticker for the urinal at the VFW post. Some sensitive snowflake peeled it off. I hope he at least had the brains to wash his hands after.

25. Thunderstixx says:

OK, so I went to see Midway tonight.
    Oh and I’m # Ninety Twooth and proud of it.
    I liked the movie, it did exactly what a film that has something as horrific as the “War in the Pacific” should do.
    Which is this, it treated the subject of the Battle of Midway with the respect that it should have.
    It showed the greatest respect for all of the major and a few minor players and also showed the same amount of respect for the Imperial Japanese Navy.
    The CGI was really good and although I am certain that finding fault with it seems to be a sport on this site I left the theater along with another First Cavalry Veteran that felt the same as I did.
    I have studied the War in the Pacific for years and have read as much as I can about the issues and the battles that were fought a few thousand miles away from the shores of our homes.
    I knew all the players names including Bruno Gaido and what happened to him and his pilot at the hands of the Imperial Japanese Navy…
    The CGI was especially good on a big screen with a huge sound system and I was impressed with the realistic special effects and how it must feel to fly a dive bomber down the cone of a volcano when you see the realism of the ammunition coming at you as you ride with the pilot and the gunner.
    Solid thumbs up for me unless you are so anal that you refuse to accept anything that is put on the screen because it doesn’t fit your ideals of how things should be done……………..
    They did the movie, I grade them on the movie.
    Solid Thumbs up and a solid 8 out of 10 for me.
    I will be buying it as soon as I can.
    Have a great Sunday !!!

26. marinedad61 says:

LES BROWN / ELKO POW*MIA update.
    Here are the 11/11 Elko POW*MIA Veterans Day photos.

Note – You’ll need to pardon the “professional” photographer, for the (many) blurry shots, and the “proof” stamps (to prevent online photo theft).

Updates:
    Les Brown has REMOVED the CIB (Combat Infantryman Badge)
    from his bullshit badass black leather vest.
    Les Brown has been DEMOTED from (Phony) E-8 MSG to (Phony) E-7 SFC.
    Les Brown CONTINUES to wear
    (Phony) US Army Retired, and
    (Phony) Desert Storm Veteran (with all the UNEARNED ribbons).

It appears Les Brown and the Elko POW*MIA Awareness Association are fully aware of the federal
    Stolen Valor Act of 2013…
    and have no problem rocking the other 1st Amendment phony bullshit.

We know what it’s really all about.
    The adulation, the glory, the vests, and the motorcycles.
    Proof – The photos with a mother and daughter holding signs that say
    “WE (heart) YOU VETERANS”…. and “HERO”.
    Phony phuckery at its phinest.
    Elko, Nevada, there’s MORE to do.

I’m guessing SFC Billy Hill would like to slap
    the shit out of these clowns.