Aww, Not This S*** Again

| October 14, 2021 | 42 Comments

Arkansas National Guard 1st Sgt. Kenneth Johnson

Deja Moo, the feeling that one has lived through this bullshit before. Andy11M sends.

We salute this Army first sergeant for looking exactly how we’ve all felt in the field

Meet Army 1st Sgt. Kenneth “By God” Johnson.

BY JAMES CLARK

Every once in a while a photo comes along that so perfectly captures an experience that it rises to the level of art.

This photo of 1st Sgt. Kenneth Johnson with the Arkansas National Guard is that piece of art, and the experience that it captures is life in the field, and just how breathtakingly irritating it can be.

It’s there, etched upon Johnson’s face as he looks off into the distance, past the camera held by Sgt. Marie Bryant, the photographer who snapped the image. Those eyes, reflecting both the wisdom and weariness that comes from leading, and at times herding, soldiers over a long career seem to narrow, though on what we do not know. Perhaps they’ve set upon a lone private who’s just now realized that he’s been trying to insert his magazine into his rifle’s magazine well the wrong way. Or maybe he’s watching as a new second lieutenant instructs a platoon to pour individual bottles of water into a bunch of slightly larger jugs for no good reason. Or maybe he’s just taking it all in — the whole military experience — and wondering to himself: Why the hell did I not get out back when I had the chance? Now I’m carrying around this M4 with a damn BFA, again. And spending my weekend in the field, again

Looking like Sam Elliott’s Sgt. Maj. Plumley from “We Were Soldiers,” Johnson appears as a man on a precipice, balanced in time between either barking obscenities at some wayward soldiers, or gruffly wondering aloud at whatever newfangled idiocy they’ve wrought upon the world.

“By god,” he might say in a moment like that.

I never could think of enough things to tell my Airmen what NOT to do. Thus it always was, I suppose.

Thanks for the *grin* Andy.

Task and Purpose

Category: Army, Guest Link, Humor

1. Sapper3307 says:

The meme that it birthed says, “25 year old infantryman shows his age”.

• Poetrooper says:

That brought back a memory. Back in the late 70’s, an old buddy I hadn’t seen since we were both E-6’s in the 101st in Vietnam, came to Pensacola for a brief visit. He was by then a retired E-8 first sergeant and his craggy face was showing all those years in the infantry even though he was in his late thirties like me.

When I went in the house to grab a couple more beers, Miz Poe said, “My God, I can’t believe you guys are the same age. He looks twenty years older than you!”

I grinned and replied, “He’s actually a year younger and I would have looked the same way if I’d stayed in. As I’ve told you many times, Babe, it’s a hard life and it takes its toll on a man.”

Caressing my unlined face, my little West Texas beauty gave me a very nice, warm smooch and purred, “Well I’m sure glad you didn’t.”

That’s one part of the sacrifice that many of those who make it a career never get credit for.

2. Hatchet says:

Old(er) soldiers = an Enemy’s nightmare…

3. rgr769 says:

Ahh, the beloved BFA. Back in my day they were all painted red. At Special Forces School in the 1970’s, they gave us M14’s cuz of the abuse they take in the field. Mine had a BFA guard that was bent so the muzzle was partly exposed. Someone likely used it like a pry bar. Anyway during the captured pilot rescue scenario at the Cherokee Trail FTX, I shot an 82nd trooper (enemy aggressor) in the face with a blank. He caught a blast of powder cuz the protective portion was bent down on my BFA. After we scooped up the prisoner and split back into the adjacent swamp, I could still hear him screaming, “my eyes, my eyes.” I thought there would be repercussions, but there weren’t. I hope his eyes weren’t permanently injured, but my reflex couldn’t be stopped when I stepped around the corner of a tractor barn and told him “freeze,” with the muzzle of my rifle about five feet from his head. Unfortunately for him, he tried to raise his M16 to shoot me, so I reflexively pulled the trigger. I had only come back from carrying a loaded rifle in combat about few months earlier. Those combat instincts take a while to fade, even when one knows the FTX safety rules say don’t shoot blanks directly at a person’s face within fifteen feet (rule honored more in the breach than otherwise). Needless to say, this poor bastard I shot would not have been saved by a yellow BFA. But my ODA did succeed in rescuing and exfilling the downed pilot by a Helio-stallion STOL at first light.

So, Ed, sorry for the digression, but every time I see a BFA in a pic, I remember this incident.

4. rgr1480 says:

Night FTX at Ft. Campbell. Alpha Co’s 1st platoon is bounding forward while my 2d platoon is to provide covering fire.

At the given signal, my M-60 gunner starts spraying …
    …..
    TRACERS !!!!

Damn! Damn! Those are pretty.

Cease fire called. Seems that a box of blanks was loaded with tracers!

Fertilizer hit the fan back at the ASP.

Shot the doggone BFA right off the muzzle.

5. Claw says:

Blank Firing Adapter Model M15A2:

1005-00-118-6192 Color Red (for M16/AR-15 with a 20 inch barrel)

1005-01-361-8208 Color Yellow (for M4/M4A1 with a 16 inch barrel)

6. Mason says:

Now that’s a mustache. I’d follow that mustache into Hell itself.

7. A Proud Infidel®™️ says:

He looks like he once killed an entire enemy Platoon just by shooting an azimuth!

8. Dragoon 45 says:

Kind of looks like Ft Chaffee to me. Wonder if the poor sod knows Chaffee was one of the original test sites for Agent Orange and Agents Pink and White? Or even more importantly that Agent Orange was still being used on Chaffee along the bar ditches and other right of ways till the late 70’s, early 80’s? VA and DoD lost a law suit 7-8 years ago and finally had to own up to it. God only knows how many soldiers were exposed to Agent Orange during the JRTC years of Ft Chaffee.

9. Poetrooper says:

Task & Purpose just may have discovered an Army R. Lee Ermey…

That guy should be sipping greyhound and working on his cribbage game.

I can here his knees from here!

(said outta respect. please don’t come find me, 1SG)

Old soldiers never die, they just keep……