William Shatner sets new record as oldest man in space

| October 13, 2021

William Shatner has just completed his trip to space aboard Jeff Bezos’ Blue Origin. The suborbital flight did not render the 90 year old actor, most famous for playing Captain James Tiberius Kirk on Star Trek, speechless. Quite the contrary. He waxed eloquent for quite some time on the beauty of the experience.

CBS News has the video, some highlights from the transcript;

“It was so moving to me,” Shatner said after landing. “This experience is something unbelievable.”

He said he was overwhelmed, and that Bezos has given him the most profound experience he can imagine. “I’m so filled with emotion about what just happened … it’s extraordinary,” he told Bezos.

“I hope I never recover from this. I hope that I can maintain what I feel now,” he said. “I don’t want to lose it.”

Watch the video. He just goes on and on. It’s magnificent.

Shatner took the record of oldest person in space from 82-year old Wally Funk, who held the record since her flight on Blue Origin’s previous flight in July of this year that took Bezos along.

Now Bill Shatner can really lay claim to being a “Rocket Man.”

Category: Breaking News, Geezer Alert!

1. Green Thumb says:

I really wish he had worn the uniform!

Watching the booster return and set down on that pad was awesome.
    I know it’s real but I still can’t convince myself of it.
    I’m a technical guy with a long career in technical shit but
    somehow I still can’t believe my own eyes.

• ChipNASA says:

I hate to say it but, I fucking work at NASA and the liftoff/launch camera work just looks fake as hell. I don’t know why, maybe because it’s drone/transmitted footage or the overhead angle, when they switch to the live ground camera shots, it totally looks more real.
      But the MOST amazing thing still is…..Bezos’ rocket is *still* a giant flying…

• KoB says:

Moldy go where others have gone before. 😛

Word up on the technology we are seeing from private “Enterprise”. Again, American ingenuity at its finest. Not a big fan of Bezos, but give credit where credit is due. Kudos to the Falcon X people too. Saw a news blurb the other day that the Lockheed Space Liner launch has been delayed…again. They must be having issues on how the wings and motors are to be mounted. 😀

• AW1Ed says:

Ground pounders gonna pound ground.
        Right, ya dirt diggin’ doggie?

• KoB says:

It’s the small, subtle victories, that need no explanations…ON TARGET…FIRE FOR EFFECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I ain’t skeered of no danger zone.

BWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!

• Green Thumb says:

Word.

Infantry as fuck.

Ground pounders gonna pound ground.

Hmmmmm ….. reminds me of that old tongue-twister:

How much ground could a groundpounder pound if a groundpounder could pound ground?

3. Bill R. says:

I don’t believe William Shatner has ever been speechless. He’s been hamming it up since he watched the gremlin tearing his airplane apart in Outer Limits.

4. Veritas Omnia Vincit says:

His version of Rocket Man is easily one of the most pretentious exhibitions of ego run amok I’ve had the pleasure to view during the course of my lifetime to date…

The affectation using the odd inflection and accent to his voice, the over-animated smoking, it’s all so campy. Whether that was the intent or not it’s still wonderfully absurd in an oddly enjoyable fashion.

Hats off you crazy, egotistical son of a bitch…you have slipped the surly bonds of earth for a few minutes and actually became a rocket man…

He did some excellent acting as Denny Crane. And he dropped that ridiculous voice inflection stuff.

I have seen him in some off the cuff interviews, and he seems quite likable, which is rare in successful Hollyweird actors.

• Hate_me says:

Boston Legal was one of the best shows in an era of great shows.

• Mason says:

I think it was around Boston Legal that he stopped taking himself so seriously. Prior to that he always seemed so full of himself. Around that show he seemed to just relax and go with it and became a more likable person.

His Star Trek co-stars described him as a vainglorious prima donna. His TJ Hooker came off about the same.

he seems quite likable, which is rare in successful Hollyweird actors.

I work for the same administration that ChipNASA works for. (^__^)

Shatner came out to our lab one day while doing some research for his book “I’m Working on That” (our lab is mentioned!).

Anyway, at the end we asked if we could get a group photo with him and he said, “This is where I’m supposed to say FUCK YOU.”

Maybe he was joking … we none of us took it as a joke.

We did get a good group photo though.

• Hack Stone says:

Right up there with the Star Wars Holiday Special.

In defense of the CBS Network Executives who thought that this was a good idea, there was a lot of cocaine going around Hollywood in the late 1970’s.

• 5JC says:

Hell, if I am 90 years and I get a shot at space I am taking it. What is the worst that could happen?

• RetiredCWO4USN says:

If I get a shot I’m going up, I don’t care what age I am.

• Green Thumb says:

Word.

Floating in Zero Gravity has to be one of the coolest things in the world.

And at that age, why not roll up a big one and go all in?

5. robert kendall says:

He has lived long, and prospered.

6. Sapper3307 says:

Moon base Shatner rocks!

7. Dennis - not chevy says:

A wise person said, (I forget who said it) Shatner has had two careers; his second career was making fun of his first career.
    Airplane II, National Lampoon’s Loaded Weapon, Futurama, and so many more examples of him having fun with it.
    I wish more hollyweird types would take his example of not taking themselves so seriously.

William. Shatner. Finally. Reaches. Outer. Space.

9. MarineDad61 says:

The resemblance to this space ship is uncanny.
    Looks like Bezos is a fan of Ace & Gary,
    and the Ambiguously Gay “Duo Car”.

[Tonight’s episode:
    The Dark Clenched Hole of Evil]

10. OWB says:

Good for him! It may take a while for him to recover from the adventure. And that is just fine.

I still think that upon his return the Ground Crew ought to greet him dressed in “Planet of the Apes” costumes, then tell him that the Cylons have captured the Gungans and fed them to the Klingons!

12. ninja says:

Am requesting that all please watch this 1 minute, 20 second video featuring the BEST EPISODE of William Shatner as Denny Crane…

Thank You!!!

13. PARANAH says:

These celebrities that walk up to the booth and buy a ticket are NOT ASTRONAUTS! Astronauts are Test Pilots scientists who train for years and years for their missions and not someone who just goes up and right back down!!!

• OWB says:

Got it. Not sure why, but we got it.

Did someone here call Mr. Shatner (or any of the other pax) astronauts? Missed it, if they did. Don’t recall anyone calling pax aboard commercial aircraft pilots either. Doesn’t change the simple fact that those who have traveled via aircraft have “flown” and those who rode a spacecraft into space have done something very few of us have done – been in space.

Call them whatever you wish. It doesn’t change the reality of what occurred.

btw, were you around for a similar argument when the first non military pilots rode into space? They had specific scientific missions to accomplish but were not pilots. Then a school teacher rode along. The argument got pretty intense then.

• SFC D says:

A monkey made the first flight.

• ninja says:

SFC D:

Hopefully, PETA won’t read what you wrote, because I can see it now…a Lawsuit or a WOKE cultural from them of this event that took place around 1948…

I am fed up with all the BS in our country…Before we know it, some of us may have to start wearing a symbal simliar to “JUDE”, Star of David, etc…anyone else remember Nazi Germany?

The ninja family shared with our children BEFORE the last Election about living thru the Jimmy Carter Era.

They are now understanding what we tried to tell them.

Plugs Biden is a Combination of Sanders and Carter…and God help us if Harris becomes PTOS.

If you live in Virginia, I encourage you to NOT VOTE for that Carpetbagger from New York name Terry. Because if you do, you will be sorry…

If you live in Georgia, we highly encourage you to vote for a Georgia Bulldog (hbtd) name Walker.

If you live in New Jersey….😉

Last…for LC and Commissar: Due to Doctors Orders, I have NOT been COVID vaccinated. I only wear a mask IF it is mandatory…

The irony is that I am healthy as a horse, yet folks who I know who have been vaccinated AND wear masks have gotten sick with COVID.

We live in a Country where we have Freedom of choice, which is slowly being taken away. If one wants to be vaccinated and wear masks, GO FOR IT. JUST DONT FORCE YOUR BELIEFS ON ME.

The other ninja family member took the Vaccine because of work related condition. That family member also has faithfully taken the Flu Shot for years.

I HAD to QUIT taking the Flu Shot since 2005…and have been healthy, never had colds, etc.

I was FORCED/Ordered to take 20 Anthrax shots which destroyed my immune system, but am still healthy as a horse. I am in an OFFICIAL DoD Database that is all recorded…all because of those Anthrax Shots.

I have innoculated since birth with 3 sets of shot records, from being an Army Dependent, to Army Enlisted, to Army “Ossifer”. The same with the other Ninja Family Member, same track record, 3 shot records…

If it ever comes down that our Country will arrest us that refuse vaccination and put into a Concentration Camp, then I am willing to accept those situations. They can take away my body,but never my Soul. That is a Promise given to me by a Jewish Carpenter….😎😉

• OWB says:

A small quibble – not the first space flight, but the first “manned” space flight. Or something.

Or not. Don’t remember the altitude of those first space flights, and not interested enough to look them up! It was the first time a TV was viewed in my school, and it was terribly exciting to watch it. (If dozens of kids crowded around a TV counts. Only a few actually saw the thing – the rest of us were in the room, some standing on chairs. The teachers tried to place us so that the maximum number actually saw the broadcast but alas, not many did.)

Actually, the X-15 reached about the same altitude back in 1964, 67 miles above the earth, which is the edge of space.

• Anonymous says:

If he’d asked Elon Musk instead, he could’ve gone into orbit.

14. USMC Steve says:

Why does that rocket ship look like a giant space penis?

15. MarineDad61 says:

Sulu freaks out.

[George Takei calls William Shatner an ‘unfit’ guinea pig after spaceflight]

• Mason says:

Oh, my!

What a prick. Takei has become a very hate-filled man the last several years. It’s sad really. Most people mellow with age. He’s become bitter.

• MarineDad61 says:

Mason,
        Yep.
        Worse, a George Takei roast.
        All the gay jokes that are supposedly so
        hurtful and injurious on any other day, and all of a sudden, on this day,
        the gay jokes are now not hurtful at all, and are now funny.