Weekend Open Thread

| November 27, 2020

Hoping that you had a great Thanksgiving, and a safe Christmas shopping experience if that hasn’t started yet. Sunday is the beginning of Advent Season. Enjoy your weekend.

Category: Open thread

1st

• ChipNASA says:

sonofabitch….I stumbled with typing the e-mail addy, you bitch….you must have autofill….something I used to have before my work stuck something in my browsers about security that won’t allow it any more so I have to type it in every time…..

bitch bitch bitch…..moan, moan, moan, ….complain, complain, complain…excuses, excuses, excuses….

I sound like Hillary or Biden don’t I?
      Well, maybe shortly.
      Whatever. Christmas ain’t here yet, and nor is January 20th.

Congrats 5th/77th FA.
      Whore…(giggles)

2. ChipNASA says:

First,
    BOOM MOTHERFUCKERS

AAA–HEEM! Beg Pardon? Say Whut? Nix, Nein, Nyet, No Way Hose A, and Hells to the Nawh.

THE King of Battle…THE King of FIRST has endeavored…AND persevered! FIRST and a completed FIRE MISSION, FIRE MISSION, FIRE MISSION…TIME ON TARGET…FIRE FOR EFFECT another FIRST on the Friday TAH Friday Weekend Open Thread. The FIRST 3pete/3inaweek/Triple Crown Open Thread FIRST…EVAH. A Midweek Open Thread FIRST, a Thanksgiving Open Thread FIRST, and now the TAH Friday Weekend Open Thread FIRST! There can be only ONE!

The Beverages are on me Lads and Lasses. Plus any and all snacks as needed. Other than that, and I’m talking to you now Slow Joe, SUFFER!

• ChipNASA says:

*snickers*
        I don’t know *why* I found this amusing but I did….

“AAA–HEEM! Beg Pardon? Say Whut? Nix, Nein, Nyet, No Way Hose A, and Hells to the Nawh….”

*genuflects appropriately to the KoB 5th/77th FA*

LOLZ AROUND!
        Chippy

3. Commissioner Wretched says:

4. Commissioner Wretched says:

Sigh … I should know better than to test the King of Battle or Chip. I should know better.

I don’t, but I should.

Oh well. I’ll take third any day – bronze medal, you know. And in exchange for the bronze medal, I will leave here my trivia column!

DID YOU KNOW…?
    Was actor Peter Falk the first choice of the producers to play “Columbo”?
    By Commissioner Wretched

Depending on which day you read this week’s column, you’re either getting ready to eat your Thanksgiving dinner … in the process of eating same … or recovering from it.

Whichever is the case, I hope and pray your holiday was everything you wanted it to be, and then some.

Thus goes the second of the end-of-year quartet of holidays. We had Halloween last month; this week, of course, Thanksgiving; and next month we get Christmas (and/or Hanukkah) and the New Year.

Fun times all around!

And provided for you, each week in this space, is some trivia to make those dinner conversations more entertaining (or more boring, depending on how you like your trivia).

I’m just happy to do my part.

Did you know …

… Japan has more than 50,000 people who are over 100 years old? (That’s for all you folks who don’t like sushi.)

… the creamy filling inside Hostess Twinkies™ is not really cream? It’s actually made mostly of vegetable shortening, also known as Crisco™. (And to think I used to love Twinkies. Used to.)

… knights in the Middle Ages did not carry money? The knights were worried about being robbed, so they instead wore a special ring with a seal on it. When a knight spent the night at an inn, he would stamp the bill with the seal on his ring, and the innkeeper later took the bill to the knight’s castle to get payment. (Of course they didn’t carry money. Did you ever see a pocket on a suit of armor?)

… there is no such painting as “Whistler’s Mother”? James McNeill Whistler (1834-1903) did indeed paint a portrait of an elderly woman sitting in a rocking chair, one that has become a classic. However, the painting is not called “Whistler’s Mother,” as most people know it. The actual name of the work is, “Arrangement in Black and Gray: The Artist’s Mother.” The 1871 painting came about because the model who had been hired for the work did not show up at Whistler’s studio, and the artist asked his mother – who was there – to fill in. The rest, as they say, is history. (I wonder what the painting would have looked like if Whistler’s father had been there?)

… the actor playing an iconic television role was not supposed to have the part? From 1971 to 1978, “Columbo” was one of the most popular crime dramas on television, airing as a rotating part of the “NBC Mystery Movie.” The show remains in reruns today and is beloved by many millions of people. The role became closely associated with actor Peter Falk (1927-2011), so much so that imagining anyone else playing the rumpled detective Lt. Frank Columbo is now inconceivable. But the part was originally written specifically for another actor – Lee J. Cobb (1911-1976). Cobb, who had starred in blockbuster movies like “Death of a Salesman” and “Twelve Angry Men,” was not available when the first pilot for the show, “Prescription: Murder,” was filmed in 1968. So the producers turned to another actor who they thought would give Columbo the right look – Bing Crosby (1903-1977). Crosby was, by then, in semi-retirement and not all that interested in returning to regular television series work, which he said would interfere with his passion of golf. Additional trivia note: Falk actively campaigned to get the role of Columbo once he learned that Cobb and Crosby were not available. After losing out on their first two choices, the producers reluctantly agreed to give him a look. As it turned out, they were very glad that they did so. (“Just one more thing …”)

… the first movie to show a flushing toilet was made in 1960? “Psycho,” a thriller directed by Alfred Hitchcock (1899-1980), was the first film to show a toilet flush on screen. That scene caused a huge number of complaints about indecency to come in to the film production company’s office – far more than came in about the (at the time) graphic murder scene of the character played by Janet Leigh (1927-2004). (Oh, the jokes I could do right here, but I try to keep the column classy.)

… nobody knows who invented the modern fire hydrant? That is because the patent was destroyed in a fire at the U.S. Patent Office. (Irony. It’s pretty ironic, isn’t it?)

… corporate media giant Sony once actually sued itself? In August of 2000, the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) sued Launch.com over its “Napster” music-sharing service. Sony was one of the controlling interests of the RIAA and was also the owner of Launch.com. In essence, Sony was suing itself. (Ah, lawsuits. Even when you win, you lose. Especially in this case.)

… the second-worst-rated book ever was written by Adolf Hitler? The German dictator (1889-1945) wrote “Mein Kampf,” a treatise based on his bizarre notions of race and government, in 1919. In it Hitler outlined everything he’d do if he ever took political power, but even though it was purchased and read, nobody believed it could happen. The book is second-worst according to the bookseller’s website Goodreads.com. But if “Mein Kampf” is the second-worst-rated book, what occupies the top slot? According to Goodreads, it’s “Dianetics” by L. Ron Hubbard (1911-1986), the book that indirectly launched the religion known as Scientology. (I’m just going to leave this here. No reason for anybody to take notice of me.)

… it is a legal requirement in New York that a property seller tell a prospective client if the property is haunted by ghosts? (Especially if the buyer’s name is Mrs. Muir. Look it up.)

Now … you know!

• Hack Stone says:

Coming in at third worst rated book ever written was Weekend with Rita, authored by S. CIO Burrell.

Another fine job on the trivia presentation CW! It is muchly appreciated. I thought my food coma was abating just a bit, but the chicken n dumplin’s with cornbread dressin’ started calling my name. Had just finished that and put the bowl away when the WOT dropped. I guess I do need to retire the Crown, and call Supply to requesition a new one. Maybe if I just law low again for awhile, the contest will be on again. Ironically, the original plan for this week I would have been off the net from ’bout last Saturday evening until sometime late tomorrow.

• Graybeard says:

It is inconceivable that any but Falk should play Columbo. Perhaps when they thought about it again, they replied “As you wish.”

5. Hack Stone says:

Hack Stone is just glad to be in the Top Ten, and is thankful that crackheads with blowtorches and pliers are practicing social distancing this holiday season.

6. 11th, Lean cuisine a little later and then making a batch of Ex’s mac & cheese.

Umpteenth and Honorary First once again.

((((OVER))))

8. Graybeard says:

Looking at duplicates, I think I’m top 10.

Was off celebrating middle brother’s 65th birthday. Have to say that video meetings help a lot when family is scattered across multiple states.

Nearly 2″ rain in the AO – much needed blessed rain!

Y’all have a great weekend.

9. HMCS(FMF) ret says:

Present!

Spent time with the lady and her oldest daughter yesterday. Helped her finish Christmas Shopping for her kids (my Amazon-fu is stronger than hers). My Christmas shopping is done, waiting for the last couple of things to show up next week, then packing gifts up to send off to sis and nephew.

Hope that everyone here had a good Thanksgiving with their families and friends

10. Sapper3307 says:

“Invest in lead, not gold”.
    AOC 2020 Space force cadet
    YUP!

I have nothing nice to say, especially about a certain someone who sh*t all over us even tho he’s much smarterer and way betterer than any of us.
    Can we start a collection going so he can take flying lessons?

I’m buying some more long term food storage stuffs this weekend; replacing some canned goods, rice and beans for Mylar bagging, spices and such. Working on a year of food for us two, with the notion I’ll probably have to flex. Anyone that thinks they’re getting a free ride here best believe at Spring they’ll be picking stones for the potato field to work off what they done eaten!

Anyway, have a great weekend y’all.

12. MarineDad61 says:

Kirjath Toney (TAH 2014-2015) UPDATE.
    Remember when he threatened lawsuits???

85+ years old, man of the lord (?), but still
    (1) Regularly spits out scripture and holy shroud.
    (2) Posts parables about wars and fighting.
    (2) Aggressively deletes truthful negative comments on Saint FakeBook.

Someone should hook him up with Maggie DeSanti,
    the Arizona airport TSA push ups Honor Flights hag.
    Imagine those two working on their push ups!
    With a turkey baster?

13. OWB says:

A question for you Navy guys: A Command Master Chief would be a rather important rank would it not?

Just wondering.