Weekend Open Thread

| November 20, 2020 | 63 Comments

Turtle, fish, starfish, and other sea life. (inspiredbylifeforever/WordPress dot com)

If you have an opportunity to qualify to go scuba diving, take it. Even snorkeling in waters like this is great. It’s like “flying” and watching a different landscape from the one that you’re used to. Enjoy your weekend.

Category: Open thread

• RGR 4-78 says:

Congratulations.
      You are it.
      Again.
      🙂

• ChipNASA says:

Well lookie dere…
      LOL, Congrats Dude!

NUMBER #1 on the CROONMETER!!!!

Tanks Troops! Just happened by, had been to the locally owned/operated Hardware Store getting some pieces and parts. Opened up the Chromie to check the afternoon dispatches and WHOOOMP there it was! The TAH Friday Weekend Open Thread. It was looking so forlorn and lonely as if no one wanted to claim ownership. I gave a 10 count before typing and another 10 count before posting.

I try to be a most benevolent Lorder Overer,by providing rations in food (3 recipes a week now), Class VI Supplies (brewed/fermented/distilled), and that good Southern Golden Leaf Burley. The Competition is probably gonna be wide open next week. Gun Bunny heading down South to put the word out on the streets and take Thanks with the chill’ren.

The Stranger must of happened by soon after since his time stamp was right there too.

1. The Stranger says:

Missed it by that much! Wasn’t trying though, just checking in.

2. Commissioner Wretched says:

The King of Battle returns to the throne! I knew he couldn’t be kept far from it. All is once again right with the world.

So, with that in mind, here’s the week’s trivia column! If I don’t get a chance to say it later, Happy Thanksgiving, ‘weeds and ‘weedettes!

DID YOU KNOW…?
    Did people once believe that intelligent life existed on Mars?
    By Commissioner Wretched

Since next Thursday is Thanksgiving, I’m going to wrap up my ongoing list of things I am thankful for at this point in my life.

I’m very thankful for being allowed to make it to 62 years of age. A lot of people who were born the same year I was didn’t make it this far, and I am thankful that I got to do so.

Another thing I’m thankful for is the fact that I can reach out to so many people through this column, my occasional opinion pieces, my radio work, and my stage work. The reactions I get from you – good, bad, and indifferent – are food for the soul, and I can honestly state that, like my physical body, my soul is overweight with all of it. I love you all.

And, of course, I’m thankful that this nightmare year of 2020 is almost over!

Now, let’s get to what you came here for – the trivial things of life. Happy Thanksgiving next week, everybody!

Did you know …

… the average person has about four dreams per night’s sleep? (The oddest dream I ever had started with a sign saying, “The following dream is in Technicolor.” True story.)

… barns and old schoolhouses were painted red for a reason? It’s because red was the cheapest paint color available at the time. (I can understand the barns, but the schools? They’re still red, but now it’s because of bricks.)

… deer do not have gall bladders? (And I had the gall to say that!)

… the detective story was created by a 19th Century author? Edgar Allan Poe (1809-1849), a writer of dark and mysterious stories anyway, wrote “The Murders in the Rue Morgue” in 1841. The story, about a man who solves the murders of two women, is considered the first actual detective story, a genre which did not exist in English or American literature prior to that year. (Book ‘em, Danno … story-creating one.)

… it is against the law for a woman to propose marriage to a man in Whitesville, Delaware? Violators could face a charge of disorderly conduct. (Charges escalate if he says “no,” I guess.)

… one out of every eight married couples in the United States met online? (The other seven met through a gypsy fortune teller.)

… people used to believe that the planet Mars was inhabited by intelligent life? The idea first came about after Italian astronomer Giovanni Schiparelli (1835-1910) reported spotting thin lines on the surface of Mars through his telescope. He called those lines “canali,” which means “channels” in Italian, but the term was mistranslated into English as “canals.” The existence of canals – artificially constructed waterways – had to mean the existence of intelligent life, since such things don’t build themselves. The idea persisted throughout the 19th and 20th Centuries, fueling the story lines of some classic works of science fiction. The idea of intelligent life on Mars finally came to an end for two reasons: other astronomers in the 1800s were unable to see Schiparelli’s canali with better telescopes, meaning they’d been optical illusions all along; and the space probes from the United States and Soviet Union which arrived at Mars in the 1960s and 1970s and sent back photographs of a heavily cratered surface under a very thin atmosphere. Scientists say that while there was probably never intelligent life on Mars, they still can’t rule out any other kind of life – and it may yet exist there today. (As for intelligent life existing on Earth, I leave that up to you.)

… some types of seafood have very high levels of cholesterol? Sure, seafood is healthy, but one must be careful – three ounces of lobster, for instance, has 61 milligrams of cholesterol. (And that’s before you dip it in the melted butter.)

… we all grow in our sleep? Every morning, people worldwide wake up about eight millimeters taller than they were when they went to sleep. That’s because gravity isn’t pulling down on our spinal columns, and the discs between our vertebrae relax and spread out a bit. Not long after we’ve gotten out of bed, though, the gravity bites us again, and our spines compress the cartilage discs between them back into their normal spaces, and we lose that little height we gained overnight. (My problem isn’t the height I gain overnight, it’s the weight I gain overnight!)

… one of the most celebrated actresses of the 20th Century wrote a children’s book? Elizabeth Taylor (1932-2011) wrote “Nibbles and Me” in 1946, when she was 13. The book was about Taylor’s real-life adventures with a chipmunk named Nibbles.

… there is a term for the motion a rabbit makes when it jumps into the air? If the rabbit is doing it because of happiness or excitement, it’s called a binky. Sometimes, when a rabbit binkies, it turns its body completely around in delight. (Well, what did you expect it to do? Grab a carrot and say, “What’s up, doc?”)

… armadillos can walk underwater? (So can I, as long as the water isn’t over my head.)
    … in the city of Holyoke, Massachusetts, it is illegal to water your lawn while it’s raining? (I don’t know why, but the fact that they had to pass a law like that makes me wonder about the city of Holyoke, Massachusetts.)

… atomic bomb tests were once pitched as tourist attractions? In the 1950s, the city of Las Vegas, Nevada, actually advised tourists when an atomic bomb test was going to take place so people could watch them. For a while, Vegas was known as “Atomic City.” (Nowadays, of course, you can still get bombed in Vegas.)

Now … you know!

• KoB says:

Careful of those “night dreams” there CW. ‘Specially if they are connected to something that has grown larger.

• Ex-PH2 says:

Did people once believe that intelligent life existed on Mars? – Well, there IS intelligent life on Mars, but they never talk about themselves. How else would Robert Heinlein have come up with the idea for “Red Planet”?
      After all, he’d already been on the surface of the Moon and descr4ibed it to a “T” in “Have Spacesuit – Will Travel”, as if he’d been there. But we won’t find the real Martians like Gekko and Willis until we start trying to build up there on the Red Planet. They moved underground a long, long time ago.
      Did I tell you, Commish, that I never took a library book home with me, because I spent every weekend and available minute of them sitting on the floor in the stacks, reading books, when I was 12? My mother had to call the library and ask them to tell me to go home because supper was ready. Now I have a house with one bedroom that is my Very Own Library, with a copy of “Red Planet” and “Have Spacesuit – Will Travel” on the shelves.
      Am I nuts, or just a bookworm?

• Only Army Mom says:

Ex-PH2
        you have just described a life well lived.

• Commissioner Wretched says:

Ex, “Have Spacesuit – Will Travel” started me on my love of science fiction. I read it in 4th grade (I won’t admit just how long ago that was) and have loved it – and owned a copy – ever since. Heinlein rules, the others drool.

I was the same way about reading. My friends enjoyed playing outside; I preferred reading inside.

Always. So if you’re nuts, so am I … and if you’re a bookworm, so am I.

• Fjardeson says:

Red Planet and the Rolling Stones. (The Rolling Stones has an interesting future reference to a certain young woman in The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress, she carries a blaster with cough drops in the charge chamber).

3. LC says:

I’m sure this won’t be at all contentious here, but who needs Marines anyway? Or so asks COL Macgregor:

• LC says:

Oops, hit enter too soon – the article is new, but references a 2012 opinion piece by Macgregor, where he added that “USMC” should stand for “Under-utilized Superfluous Military Capability.”

• Mason says:

I don’t know why they say that’s controversial. It gets brought up every twenty years or so. The argument gained some traction around that time what with the total lack of amphibious operations in the previous decade fighting two wars.

• Commissar says:

It is a legit argument.

The most effective wartime use of Marine amphibious landing capacity over the last few decades had been as a feint.

The primary value of ambitious landing in the 20th century was the element of surprise, it forced the enemy to fortify Hundreds if not thousands of miles of coastline and spread their defenses accordingly.

Now, with modern surveillance there is no possible way to pull off an amphibious assault with any size able force without giving the enemy several days of focused preparation, even weeks..

And fleets, especially landing craft, are exceptionally vulnerable to modern weapon systems.

Small boat landings are still viable, so there will always be a place for some sort of sea-land capable force, and amphibious capacity is excellent for humanitarian and crisis response,

And it makes sense for fleets to continue to have a small ground force to secure their activities in foreign ports.

But it is reasonable to have conversation about whether we need such a large capacity that is tantamount to an entire branch of the armed forces (despite being technically part of the Navy).

4. Was watching site around 4:05 then I had to take out Ex’s mac/bacon/cheese out of the oven and put the rest of the bacon & cheese on top for another 10 minutes. Took half an hour to thicken it adding a little flour at a time.

BAM BAM BAM BAM FIRE MISSION! FIRE MISSION! FIRE MISSION! Time on Target!!!! Take that you Long Range Recon Snake Eating Leader of the Way. You lead the way for the King of Battle, THE King of First to resume his Lording over of the beloved d’weeds/weedettes/REMFs/Feather Merchants and misc ne’er do wells of TAH on the Coveted EARNED NEVER AWARDED Friday Open Thread. Gimme back my Crown and SUFFER! Oh…and bring me some liniment for my sore chest!

And now that the KoB has re-taken his Crown, the Dining Facility is open, snacks. Class VI Supplies and hand rolled seegars all around!

• RGR 4-78 says:

Who knew a cannon cocker, could be so proficient at the 1st strike. 🙂

He’s is proficient in keeping the guns laid. And having lanyards pulled tight. Aiming and range stakes are checked on a regular basis and no short rounds allowed. And he’s lucky as all hell. Better to be lucky than good…Tho he is good too.

The competition is nowhere near as fierce as it was when the drop happened earlier. And watching at Wagon Train during the 1600hrs time frame is not as distracting as watching Gunsmoke at 1300hrs. I think a lot of the troops that were monitoring the net before during their lunch breaks or whatever, are now on their way home or where ever at the time.

6. Sapper3307 says:

“I like turtles!”
    AOC

7. Only Army Mom says:

Just stopping by to say thank you to my TAH deplorable miscreants. And specifically to the specific curmudgeon that posted that SOS recipe recently. Finally got the ingredients and made it today. My tummy is very happy as is my post-dental visit mouth. Perfect meal, minimal chewing, maximum flavor.

I am a mean rotten little sister…sent the bro a pic of what I made and he is in the car on the way thinking he’s going to get some. Not!

• ChipNASA says:

Oh you made me LARF Army Mom.
      You da BEST, and that’s what little sisters are for, being BIG STINKERS!!!!
      NOM NOM NOM!!! Now I’ll have to go back and find said recipe for SOS and some buttery grand biscuits.
      Then I can blame you and presumably EX-PH2 for my fatness!

Oh Hells to the naw Chippy! Yo fatness can only be blamed on your fork in mouth disease. Don’t you blaspheme and blame yo Sisters on what you did yo own self. ‘Specially the Baby Sister!

Don’t make me pull this car over, you’ll be the FIRST one I whup!

8. Haywire Angel says:

Top 20, have a good weekend!

9. thebesig says:

Gavin Newsom did something that became another meme:

Gavin Newsom enjoying his own rules

Gavin says it was all okey dokey cuz they were all eating “outside.” Don’t let those walls, the ceiling, carpeted floor and the chandelier in that photo confuse your lying eyes.

Long day of blowing leaves, tomorrow more murdering trees. There’s gotta be a better way to make a buck.
    Have a great weekend y’all!

11. Sapper3307 says:

Well Kyle Rittenhouse got bailed out 2-Mill-$$. The left is going extra nutty, so much for ending cash bail.

The progs believe there should be no cash bail, but only for POC’s, white BLMer’s and Antifa shitheads. Those groups should be promptly released on their own recognizance while awaiting the dropping of the charges against them by the Soros elected DA’s.

12. David says:

Picked up the Deerslayer from the body shop… since it’s Korean would I call it the Deelsrayel?
    At least they did a pretty decent job on it. Noice to be back in my own ride stirring gears like God intended man to do.

almost two hours since the WOT dropped and only 19 comments?

13. Thunderstixx says:

I’m the Twenty Twooth !!!!
    Hot damn, that’s almost as good as a first, unless it’s KOB, then it’s, yawn, here we go again….
    BAHAHAHAHAHA !!!
    I know, never mess with someone that can blow your molecules over three states !!!!
    But you are such a good target !!!
    BAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!

14. Graybeard says:

Being retired has me constantly forgetting to look for the WOT. >SIGH<

Was out pulling weeds in the garden (expanding it now) then went to the wash and practiced some pistolry – with the end result of realizing I need to practice my pistolry more frequently.

Grandkids are out of school next week and the forecast looks favorable – may get to have them pop some caps as well.

No deer in the freezer yet. Sadly.

15. MarineDad61 says:

Look who just decided to mention Navy SEALs?

[Former President Barack Obama
    told ABC’s left-wing late night host Jimmy Kimmel
    that “we can always send the Navy SEALs”
    to physically remove President Donald Trump from the White House.]

Ugh.

• KoB says:

MD61 this could be construed as oblowme admitting that he is still trying to run the demonrat party. “We can send in some Navy SEALS…” When daHell has a FORMER President had any Command Authority at all?

• MarineDad61 says:

KoB,
        All this phony goodwill,
        and looking for a (too) quick transition in 2020,
        after he and his team played transition games in 2016,
        and then pushed on with worse ever since.
        Ha!

16. Hate_me says:

I certified SCUBA in a rock quarry in Texas. I saw silt. Nothing follows.

17. MarineDad61 says:

Nosy for phonies…
    This weekend’s update… “Alaska” Bob Glaves.

A little internet searching today reveals that 13 months later,
    the renowned phony Vietnam Veteran cross country biker
    charity scammer Sturgis partier Bob Glaves has relocated
    500 MILES from his 2019 home base of Sterling,
    to the rural outback near Fairbanks, Alaska.
    (Also near a U.S. Air Force Base.)

Something tells me….
    New area, new acquaintances, new targets for the same old bullshit.
    Ugh, that guy.

(This was Part 5 on ol’ Bob from October 2019.)

18. Devtun says:

Many of the BLM/Antifa thugs who attacked Trump MAGA supporters in DC have been arrested.

‘Police have arrested the guy who allegedly slugged the Trump supporter. Turns out that Kenneth Deberry, who was holding a “Refuse Fascism” sign, is not only a BLM guy, he’s also a registered sex offender. According to police records, there was a child sex abuse charge.’

TOP Forty and Honorary First once again.

((((OVER))))

20. MarineDad61 says:

Eastbound and down.
    Nosy for phonies…
    A 2nd update this weekend… Les Brown

Lester Kent Brown has been out of state in Utah for awhile.
    Not at a VA Hospital.

(From their FakeBook page)
    Elko POW*MIA Awareness Association
    November 8 at 11:15 AM ·
    As some may know,
    Les has spent the last 2 weeks in St Marks hospital in SLC.
    STILL no concrete diagnosis, he is doing better and has gained some of his weight back, his weight was down to 128lbs. COPD…..with issues…..NOT covid!!! Please continue sending positive vibes. The A.L.S. test came back “inconclusive” he will have another one done in a couple of weeks.
    (end paste)

Nice photo of Doug Gray (Marshall Tucker Band) in Dec issue of American Rifleman.
    Sporting an honorable rack. Brief Q&A about the band and it’s future.
    I once got to attend a small session billed as a Toy Caldwell event.
    Turned out to be the entire band in small venue with maybe twenty people.
    Sadly, he passed away shortly after. Damn near cried when he performed
    “heard it in a love song”
    Great American Band.

22. Commissar says:

I was lucky to get certified through MWR at the Presidio of Monterey, Ca. Then rescue and advanced diving there as well.

My favorite thing about diving is that sometimes you feel like part of the food chain. That is a feeling that was once fundamental to existing. It is in those brief moments you feel most alive.

But even when there is nothing large curious about you, you feel like you have been transported to another realm. There is very few past times that a human can do on earth that feels so much like you have been transported into a different place entirely. And you have access to diving within 100 miles pretty much anywhere you live.

It was a fantastic experience and as I age, and this disease kicks my ass, scuba diving is one of the few remaining pastimes that I can continue to participate in.

I have a dive trip planned for this February.

So, absolutely, get certified. You will be able to stay active in the past time for decades.

I know when I reflect on my life at the end I will have regrets. And I expect one of them will be I didn’t dive more.

23. Only Army Mom says:

Hopefully the powers that be at TAH will see this and take the hint…

Because food, recipes and the sharing the stories and memories of is such an important part of the culture you all swore to protect and defend, let’s have a “Thanksgiving Foods” post.

We can share recipes or memories, or both.

Here’s an example –
    Neither my son nor I were ever big fans of the ubiquitous Green Bean casserole that graces most Thanksgiving tables. I think most of us eat it, bland and blah as it is more out of tradition than desire for the flavor. Otherwise, why does it only make an appearance at Thanksgiving?

So, as is my wont, I tweaked it. Suddenly it became a requested accompaniment to regular meals, and a double batch is required for Thanksgiving in hopes of having any leftovers.

I knew it was going to be on that week’s menu when the child disappeared in the grocery store and returned with the dried onions, as it was the only thing they were used for. He was about 7 the first time he did this. Message received. Back then as it was just the two of us, I would half the recipe. Otherwise he would eat it and nothing else for dinner, and the leftovers for breakfast. For three days.

OAM’s Green Bean Casserole (single batch)

2 cans green beans – NOT french cut
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    —have to sub w/cream of celery for a few family members who refuse to eat fungus
    1 package dried onions (French’s brand usually)
    1/2 to 1 cup chopped, crispy bacon (chop 1 cup raw bacon, becomes 1/2 cup, etc.)
    1 packet of dry Onion soup mix – the stuff you use to make dip works very well – any brand.
    1 cup milk

Oven at 325
    Fry chopped bacon low and slow to get it very crispy
    Drain cans of beans, dump in baking dish (1 1/2 – 2 quart works nicely)
    Pour packet of dry onion soup into milk, stir and dissolve.
    Add can of soup to milk/soup mix, mix well.
    Dump mix onto green beans in casserole dish, mix.
    Drain bacon, pat dry, mix in (half if reserving some for topping).

Bake 25-30 minutes, take out and sprinkle dried onions (and bacon, if desired), return to oven for 5 minutes (closer to 10 if lots of bacon has been added to topping).

Pro tip – double the bacon, mix in half, mix other half w/dried onions before sprinkling on top at the end. The ONLY reason I don’t do this is if I don’t have enough bacon. Which rarely happened.

Outstanding idea AND recipe OAM/Little Sister. I personally like the green beaned with fungus amung us with bacon pieces and crunchy oynyuns a’floating upon creamed soup dish. And yessum, that’s how Mama made hers. You already had me, but when you gave the Pro Tip of “double the bacon” this fish took the hook, line, and sinker, get him in your boat, he’s catched. I haven’t had less than 6 maybe 9 pounds of bacon on hand for literally, years, if not decades. Right now there may be 11 to 14 pounds of assorted types, thicknesses, and brands. “…and on the eighth (8) day God created bacon!”

In addition to my other duties today, I have been patiently awaiting the follow up from last Saturday’s precedence setting recipe post that The Queen Lioness, Mi’Lady Herself, Ex-PH2 made. It was mixed in with the scare of climate change (“…kill off great tits…”) “The Floggings will continue…” “Economy” “Cooking” Subject food being pasty (pass-tee) a meat/root veggie infused with Cornish origins. She had specifically made mention of a desert follow up, “Figgy Hobbin” (“…that’s for another day…”)

Welp…It’s another day…and we’re waiting. (dodges a thrown pot lid) 😛

24. Claw says:

Working on something and need to ask a question of the soldiers who served in the late 50’s to late 60’s:

Did you ever wear a unit patch on your short-sleeved khaki shirt? If so, what outfit and where?

Thanks.

• OWB says:

My Dad retired from the Army in 1956. Don’t believe that he had a uniform short sleeved shirt with or without any patches. Of course, I never saw what he wore either in Korea or the ETO, but he had lots of pictures from there. No short sleeved uniformed shirts. On anyone.

Makes one wonder when short sleeved uniform shirts became a thing.

I still have short sleeved khaki shirts I wore in 1968 and ’69. The only patch worn was the Ranger tab. This was when I served in the 509th in Germany. I never saw anyone wear a sleeve patch (except for a Ranger Tab) on a short sleeve shirt during my service from 1968 to 1975.