A Debate On the Corn Laws – Oh, Wait – Wrong Century

| September 30, 2020 | 51 Comments

Well, if you didn’t watch the first debate last night, you missed something just short of the prelude to a brawl in a bar in an old Hollywood western.  It was like watching two dogs circling a bone and one was gonna get it and not let the other one have it.

So here’s my assessment of what went down.

The mistakes that Trump made were being too defensive about some things, and inaccurate about others. He was correct about Hunter Biden’s dismissal from the Navy, but it was an admin discharge, not dishonorable, and it was for popping hot for cocaine on a drug test, among other things Hunter was doing. Unfortunately, both of them made mistakes that could have been easily corrected.  Here is the link to the 2014 article about it:  https://www.businessinsider.com/hunter-biden-discharged-navy-cocaine-2014-10

On the other hand, Biden was so Jonesed up to stomp on Trump’s “stuff” that he made many mistakes of his own, including the part about calling AD military and vets “losers and suckers”, which we all know was cooked up by the editor of the Atlantic magazine, and carried by the NYT until they were both told to stuff it. And the editor of Atlantic finally admitted that he made the whole thing up.

Essentially, Wallace had no control over it when he should have slapped down the quarreling right from the start.  If I were the moderator, that’s what I would do. And I’d tell them to follow the rules or leave the stage.  When Trump had his final two minutes, Biden repeatedly interrupted him, While Chris Wallace correctly told him to stop, Biden ignored him and kept going on with it. Wallace could have much earlier told him to stop poking the bear, but didn’t. That’s a failure on his part.

Unfortunately, the entire thing deteriorated quickly into a bitch-slapping contest, which is not a debate. Chris Wallace should have shut that stuff down from the start.  Instead of a debate, it was just a bitch-slap and a pissing match, and neither side wins. Biden’s seemed to be bent on repeatedly interrupting Trump and poking at him, in an effort to make him explode. He almost succeeded twice. To be frank, Biden kept interrupting Trump every time Trump was given  XX minutes to speak.  This is when the moderator needs a loud whistle to stop that crap. Perhaps a little time on a timeout chair, or an offer to the interrupter to get his mouth sewn shut would work.

It was beyond childish.

One last thing: someone posted a link to a Twittertweet that shows Biden wearing what appears to be a wire. It may have been linked to a microphone, but there was a mike on each podium. https://twitter.com/Media__Ferret/status/1311167917636059144?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwgr%5E393535353b636f6e74726f6c&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.goldismoney2.com%2Fthreads%2Fbiden-trump-debate-today.403939%2Fpage-5

I do not know what the significance is for that but it does raise some mild suspicions on my part. I don’t know a lot about sound systems, but if it was a wire for a mike, why would he need it?

If you want to see how a debate is correctly conducted, watch the Kennedy/Nixon debate video, linked below. You don’t have to watch the entire thing, just enough to see what a real debate looks like and how it should proceed.  Good manners and politeness are always welcome. What happened last night was nothing but tantrums; I truly expected to see pinching and eye-gouging start up.

It was broadcast live on TV and on radio. People who watched it thought Kennedy had won, and people who listened to it on the radio thought Nixon had won.  If these ridiculous debates were run that way, none of that nonsense last night would have happened.

The link to the Kennedy-Nixon debate in 1960 is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbrcRKqLSRw

Category: "The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves", 2020 Election

1. HtC says:

“To be frank, Biden kept interrupting Trump every time Trump was given XX minutes to speak.”

Both of them did this to the other. Wallace seemed to intervene more often when Trump did it, but neither one was respecting the rules. I think a mute button for when it’s not a candidate’s turn would be a good idea, but I bet neither Biden nor Trump would agree to it.

According to replies to the Twitter link you posted, it’s common for people to be double-miked, and it was likely a “lav” microphone. You might remember in 2016, when Trump walked around the stage and stood behind Clinton during a debate. A body microphone would be useful for that kind of situation.

I did get a kick out of this exchange:
    Biden: The Green New Deal will pay for itself going forward.
    Wallace: So you support the Green New Deal?
    Biden: No, I don’t support the Green New Deal!

Nobody won the debate, but America lost.

• Ex-PH2 says:

I won’t make excuses, but I did not get to see the entire thing. I think I got the last 40 minutes of it, and it must have deteriorated substantially by the time I got there.

These debates no longer come off as debates, but as a chance to smack the opposition in the face. If you have a strong platform or position, none of this ridiculous twaddle is necessary at all.

• MarineDad61 says:

HtC,
      Proof on Google.

Joe Biden at the debate:
      “The Green New Deal is not my plan”

Joe Biden’s own webpage:
      Biden believes the Green New Deal is a crucial framework
      for meeting the climate challenges we face.
      It powerfully captures two basic truths ….

Biden is blatantly unwilling to tell the truth
      about his stance on MULTIPLE issues,
      and this Green New Deal is a whopper.

• HtC says:

I know, that’s why I thought it was pretty funny! In the span of about twelve seconds Biden went from saying the GND would pay for itself to saying he didn’t support it.

That’s partly why I don’t think Biden was wearing an earpiece – he wouldn’t be so incoherent if someone were feeding him answers.

(In the interest of full disclosure, I think both candidates suck but will probably wind up voting for Biden.)

• Ex-PH2 says:

He also had the cost at $100 TRILLIONS, which is WAY over AOC’s cost of $92 trillions, and still no answer for the source to pay for these costs, but LOTS OF JOBS!!! GREAT JOBS!!!

And no reference to what kinds of jobs, either.

• Roh-Dog says:

This Green New Deal bs is a watermelon, green on the outside, red inside.
        They want more control and the free-ish ic engine/dumb car is a major obstacle.

2. OWB says:

That was, for the most part, a waste of time. Yeah, I watched it. Kinda see it as a civic duty for citizens to do so. Probably will not watch any more, if there are any. Subject to change. Who knows – not a decision that must be made right now.

Biggest loser? Wallace. Most of the rest of us just had our suspicions confirmed about the candidates themselves. Neither really added anything substantive to the discussion.

Anybody know when it became a given that there would even be debates? Multiple debates?? Heard a great little local discussion on that this morning. Very enlightening. My take away is that we somehow managed to survive as a nation without them for surprisingly frequent swaths of our history.

• Ex-PH2 says:

I think the earliest real debates were the series of seven debates in 1858 between Abraham Lincoln and Stephen Douglas.

Before that, presidential candidates depended on their followers to do the “heavy lifting” for them. Thomas Jefferson sniped at John Adams who sniped right back at him each accusing the other of intending to commit heinous acts of violence against the populace.

Maybe we could liven things up with that kind of thing now. Turn it back into a circus on the order of Thunderdome.

The real winner and loser last nite: The Tito’s Handmade Vodka Company sold a half handle, damned Bloody Marys…
    My liver took an ‘L’.
    Did the debate change minds?
    I sure hope the voting public saw the concern Mr. Biden has for alienating the Leftist/Commie/Socialist/Anarchist side of his party.
    Not that those misanthropes care for him anyway.
    Regardless of the situation re 03 NOV, this election will never have an generally accepted resultant.
    Plan accordingly.

• Ex-PH2 says:

Roh-Dog, are you saying stock the pantry, the cupboards and any spare shelf space (and the freezer), or stock up on ammo and brewskis?

I’d love to have a knockdown, drag-out fight with Kamala Harris. It would give me a wonderful opportunity to yell “Shut up, slut!” at her, wouldn’t it?

• Roh-Dog says:

Am I “saying stock the pantry, the cupboards and any spare shelf space (and the freezer), or stock up on ammo and brewskis?“
        No, not just the pantry: the basement, your outbuildings, the car, the garage, a storage unit, strategic locations on the way to a primary, secondary, tertiary bugout locations.
        Look, I’m all about throwing down the scunion but this is looking uglier than sin.

• Ex-PH2 says:

That’s why I keep all those Aldi shopping bags: sturdy as a box car and holds a high volume of STUFF.

I guess an extra freezer won’t hurt, and neither would an extra pair of waterproof, insulated Danner boots.

Sigh…. my mommy never said things would get bad like this. I’m sad.

• Commissar says:

Biden is literally the manifestation of establishment efforts to stop any actual progressive movement from gaining power in this country.

Establishment democrats would rather lose the election then let progressives have meaningful influence at the national level.

Biden has explicitly opposed Medicare-for-all since the beginning, even threatening to veto it if it ever gets passed. Doubling down even when told it was causing him to lose support of the progressive base.

The majority of Americans in both parties support universal healthcare (slim majority of republicans, solid majority of independents, and overwhelming majority of democrats)

Biden would win this election in a landslide if he supported it. He would lose nobody on the left, gain independents, and even gain some republicans struggling with healthcare costs.

But he has been more vocally against it than any candidate on the democratic side. Even Trump makes vague statements implying he supports a plan that gives everyone healthcare.

Biden doubles and triples down on opposing it every time he is asked.

But establishment donors do not want either party to support it.

• Ex-PH2 says:

Well, for once, I agree with your viewpoint completely, Commissar.

I do think that he was picked for the role as a stooge, to be replaced by Kamala Harris after a few months.

• Roh-Dog says:

Do you put yourself to sleep while you type that garbage?
        Good thing public health is unconstitutional.

• Poetrooper says:

“And Biden has proven one thing time and time again through this half century in politics….he is a useful and obedient fool of the establishment.”

Blind hog…meet acorn…

• Berliner says:

Biden is a placeholder for Kamala Harris, who is left of the left. He’s just doing what he has been told to do, which is senior abuse.

She got her start in politics “under” Willie Brown, who was married. He appointed her to two state commissions, confusing those on the commissions as to her qualifications and eligibility, and then dumped him after he got her elected to the Californicate Attorney General job.

It will be the 2000 presidential election times 50. There will be mail-in ballots being counted weeks after the election. Many states are sayin they will count mailed ballots up to two weeks after Election Day if they have a postmark date of Nov. 3 or earlier. If Trump is determined the winner, riots with looting, arson, mayhem, and murder will be epic.

4. Carlton G Long says:

I remember being 7 years old in 1976 and seeing ads calling that year’s Presidential election (Ford v Carter) “the most crucial Presidential election in the history of this Nation.”

I’ve heard the same thing every four years since.

5. Slow Joe says:

That dude Chris Wallet should have gotten the hell out of the way and let them debate. That’s what a debate is. Fight it out!

6. Commissar says:

First debate in history where there was no winners and more than 350,000,000 people who lost.

They are talking about giving the moderator the ability to mute mics next time.

That might just make them yell louder.

I think they should have to wear shock collars next time.

I think we need more people like this bunch of politic worms. They come in all size, suits, and genders.

8. I taped the debate last night so I could watch Ancient Alien 2020 episodes, then I deleted the debate after hearing on WFTL 850 AM Radio this morning on what went on during the debate. Ancient Alien episode=100 percent, Debate= Zero point dip shit percent which seems to make cents. I’ve mentioned my point and now it’s time for the recliner and practice Alex Elmseys four card trick, the last trick of Dr. Jacob Daly and suprising jokers by Jerry Mentzer.

• The Other Whitey says:

Giorgio Tsoukalos, AKA the tinfoil-hat dude on “Ancient Aliens” with the weird hair and spray-on fake bake who makes Art Bell sound sane, makes more sense than Biden.

• Slow Joe says:

OMG, do you really watch that crap?

Ancient Aliens it’s so full of lies and distortions that it is even too much for the Pseudo-History Channel.

I watched an episode, and they literally got every single topic they covered wrong.

And every time I hear someone seriously quoting Zecharia Sitchin I roll my eyes so high I can see my own brain. The dude is the biggest fraud evah.

Nope, I did not do my civic duty or risk raising my blood pressure to a very dangerous level by watching the debate. The Chancre Mechanic doesn’t believe me when I told him I thought that the 5mg Amlodipine I’m taking is causing BOTH feet and ankles to swell up. He told me to lay off of them for 2 weeks. That was Monday. My ankles and feet are normal sized and my BP has gone from 130/65 to a spike of 166/93 last evening. Finally got it ease back to 159/88. Watched a re-run of Deep Space 9. Watching Jadzia Dax (Terry Ferrell) didn’t help my BP, but it did increase my pulse rate, and caused the swelling to move North. BP lower # is still bouncing around the high 80s and low 90s. If I stroke out again, make sure TAH sues the hell out of that SOB.

Nothing that parasitic boil of Society, slurper at the trough of grubmint largesse, hair sniffing, spawner of a coke snorting, brother phuqueing POS, poster child of what is wrong with Washington District of Criminals says can convince me to vote for Joe Biden. NOTHING!!!!! Bitch pull-eaze, you have BEEN and STILL ARE part and parcel of all that for nearly FIFTY (50) YEARS!!! You got so many good ideas to fix what is wrong with the country? Why n hell ain’t you already done so? You even had EIGHT (8) YEARS as Vice President to do something! NOTHING!!!!! NOTHING!!!!! For the Country that is. You did a gracious plenty for Joe Biden. F^@K YOU A$$ HAMSTER…SIDEWAYS WITH A BARBED WIRE, ASBESTOS COVERED, AIDS INFECTED, THREE PRONGED POINTED CO@K OF SATAN. You and your whorish running mate. Damn shame that out of 300+ million people in this Country, you are the best that they can come up with.

No, daTrumpster was NOT my FIRST choice last go around, neither were any of the other career politicians. Dr. Ben Carson was my pick and we see how that worked out. I supported Herman Cain too. And I’m a Georgia Born/Raised Southern Rebel White Boy thru and thru. Right now, I’d have to personally see Trump kicking dogs and molesting children to NOT vote for him again. I didn’t vote for him because of his poise, charm, or his social manners. I did vote for him because I wanted to see him do what he promised. Drain the Swamp, turn the Country around from its descent into Socialism, and LOCK THAT BITCH UP. Due to the obstacles thrown into his path by his own party and other domestic enemies of this Country, NONE of that has happened.

For those that vote for and support Biden? Enjoy your Socialism! ‘Scuse me while I watch Gunsmoke, this episode is featuring Miss Kitty nursing Claude Akins back to health. B&W early 60s vintage. (She’s flirting with the boy too, the lucky bastard!)

10. Eggs says:

I streamed “Last B-24” via Amazon Prime, a PBS program detailing the efforts to locate and identify 3 MIAs from a B-24 that ditched off the coast of Croatia in 1944.

11. AW1 Rod says:

It was less of a debate than a 90-minute argument. It was of no substance or worth…..as are most such debates.

Wallace is a worthless douche rocket, as was his father. The turd doesn’t fall far from the asshole.

12. Skippy says:

Trump and Biden are complete SHITBIRDS !!!
    In FACT I’m done with the Republican Party
    No wonder why they are MIA in most
    states out west here
    No fucking backbone
    If they want to survive they better learn how to
    Play ball because if they don’t they are extinct
    It’s definitely time for a 3rd party who represents
    Us middle class idiots in this country
    Because the two other parties are stupid as shit.
    Or as Lindsey Graham has been saying for 3 years
    STAY TUNED.. what a moron and a do nothing
    Broken record…

13. Veritas Omnia Vincit says:

That wasn’t a debate.

It wasn’t even a competent question and answer period.

It was something, shit show perhaps.

Whatever it was, it wasn’t a debate.

14. 11B-Mailclerk says:

Why did anyone bother to watch that media-spawned mess? All it was intended to be was eyeball-bait. No one was persuaded by it. It was a staged train-wreck, and from what is getting discussed, it was meh even at that. Folks see of it what they wanted of it, nothing more.

15. Skyjumper says:

As others here did last night, I also watched the debate. Reminded me of two old dogs circling a bone, but nether one managed to grab it.

What caught my ear was when Biden was talking about his son Beau’s military service and President Trump came back with “”I don’t know Beau,” said the President, using his now-familiar comeback. “I know Hunter,” he continued, “Hunter got thrown out of the military… he was dishonorably discharged.”
    Biden looked down and said “that’s not true.”

I also thought that Hunter had received a DD because of his drug use. I did some research last night and kept running into that Hunter did not receive a DD but received either a General Discharge, Less Than Honorable or an Administrative Discharge. But the statement that caught my eye was that on all sites was the disclaimer “but his records were sealed”.

???????

Has any one tried to get a FOIA on his records to see what type of discharge he actually received or can they be sealed?

Personally I think Hunter is a piece of scheiße.
    and should have received a DD.

Just curious.